Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 Twin!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 Twin!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 Twin!

Seems like you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say to you. You obviously like the airplane because you built it am I right??? then why not attempt to carry it to the point that it is a complete and throughly safe airplane. What I am trying to say is I have been there and HAVE rushed an airplane trying to get it ready for an event (many times) and although you WANT to fly it at an event and are justifiably proud of your accomplishment it would be a crying shame to lose it because the single piece of balsa that you felt was good enough to comply with the rules didn't work when you really needed it to. What happens then?? Why the big rush if it's worth doing it's worth doing right! Think about it ...... I think you will agree...... just becasue you did not have a cross ignition problem in these early days with the airplane does not mean it can't happen.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When's the bomber field deal? I could go to that.

Goin West, my BS comment is on calling David out with the BVM card. I don't fly anything BVM and would still solve this problem with Bypass'

Kenny, I learned a long time ago when stuff like this comes up, just shut up, go back to work, show up with your jet and kick someone in the jaw if they want to get into your hatch panels.

Compliance is up to you and the AMA dudes only. Don't advertise anything that is or is not in compliance. How many people here have waited and not renewed their ama till february or march and flown without it at an AMA field.

How many people here (and you know who you are) that has outright broken the AMA regulations related to speed at AMA events?

Come on, Kenny, just get back to work and have fun, enough.

Carry on,

Sean
Old 09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

Kenny,
Awsome job on a great aircraft!! I am glad you did a twin right and I can't wait to see the final product with the paint, pilot and oil stains
You have already done the hard part, so do what you must to shut them up and enjoy the bird, after all who did you build it for? Them that will always find fault or yourself.
Just remember to check everything twice and check it again!!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Sean

Bomber field is in Monaville the 17th thru 19th this month
Myself, Mike and 2 others are driving to Texas the 15th straight
thru. fly and stay till the 19th, and head back to CA.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Paul,

I received the high rez dvd today of the maiden. WOW! It is beautiful!!!!!! You can see so nuch more than you can on the internet! Thank you very much, YOU ARE DA MAN!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Goin West

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Goin West, my BS comment is on calling David out with the BVM card. I don't fly anything BVM and would still solve this problem with Bypass'

Sean,

Well, I didn't really know there was such a thing as a "BVM card", I was just stating a fact. Obviously you like the bypass route, but others (myself included) has had very good success with open installs. No BV bashers over here, I am proud to own a couple, as I'm sure DavidR is, too. Overall, I enjoy your posts, though. [8D]
Old 09-02-2004, 06:02 AM
KFalcon

More finishing tonight. Gotta keep working, paint is on Saturday. Keep those guns warm Todd! I will have it ready...
Old 09-02-2004, 07:12 AM
seanreit

My apologies, Goin West.

Others, I'll make effort to attend Bomber Field, my Euro constitues scale F-15 is available as well
Old 09-02-2004, 10:13 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Sean
So what is your point?

If you do not fly anything BVM and would have solved the problem by using a bypass as suggested by David, then what does BVM card have to do with it?

Again....I still don’t get it. Why all this diatribe?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: Goin West

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I don't know about an official JPO stance but if it were MY airplane I would have them in seperate bypasses. After all the rule is intended to try and limit the possibility of a fire. The intent of the rule is to keep fuel (at the time propane) from becoming cross ignited. It can't be too much work and it would take away any doubt or arguement.

David,

If it were YOUR airplane, it would designed/setup for bypassed engines anyway. BVM doesn't make any kits with open-install engines (other than the 'Cats), right?
Am I the only person on this site that can interpret the above statement as an elitest statement towards BVM? Unless you know goin west personally and know he pilots some BVM equipment, I think you read the above statement as a dig at David and his equipment.

I said I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted it. Regardless, I stand by the statement that regardless as to whether BVM solves all his twin partition with bypass' so do most other manufacturers. So to say that "if it were your plane, it would be setup with bypasses' anyway should not take away from the fact that since Kenny's plane is NOT BVM that the problem or complaince wouldn't be solved the exact same way. In that respect there was no reason to make the comment about David's equipment being BVM. In this case, a twin is a twin is a kick ***** jet!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Geeeezzzzz do I have to explain this to you guys???

BVM kits only have bypassed installations, except the KC, and BC, and so goin west knowing that I am a BVM rep because of the BS rules about the signature line says......" I would only have that in MY airplane because he knows all I fly is BVM stuff" It was obviously a tongue in cheek comment, and obviously not a dig at BVM. However what does disturb me is that my opinion is not supposed to count because I'm a rep, everyone automatically assumes a bias. In this instance it doesn't matter that my opinion (which is right!) is that from a safety standpoint in a multiple engine setup (hello ..... that is what this thread is about right?) regardless of what the rules say if you compartmentalize the engines then you at the very least reduce the potential for cross ignition and a fire. The only reason I even got into this discussion was to point out that a lot of times we get ourselves all worked up into this frenzy of trying to prepare an airplane to fly at a particular event, over the last year I have realized that I enjoy my hobby a helluva lot more when I concentrate on building the airplane to perfection eliminating all of the potential trouble spots with my models. You won't hardly ever see my gear hanging down on a maiden flight, nor will you see a half complete installation of anything including wiring, plumbing etc... these models are expensive, both in terms of the money we invest in them and the time required to build them. Not to mention the fact that if a fire were to break out in that model in the air you are most likely going to lose the aircraft.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Goin West

ORIGINAL: Goin West

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I don't know about an official JPO stance but if it were MY airplane I would have them in seperate bypasses. After all the rule is intended to try and limit the possibility of a fire. The intent of the rule is to keep fuel (at the time propane) from becoming cross ignited. It can't be too much work and it would take away any doubt or arguement.

David,

If it were YOUR airplane, it would designed/setup for bypassed engines anyway. BVM doesn't make any kits with open-install engines (other than the 'Cats), right?
Am I the only person on this site that can interpret the above statement as an elitest statement towards BVM? Unless you know goin west personally and know he pilots some BVM equipment, I think you read the above statement as a dig at David and his equipment.

I said I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted it. Regardless, I stand by the statement that regardless as to whether BVM solves all his twin partition with bypass' so do most other manufacturers. So to say that "if it were your plane, it would be setup with bypasses' anyway should not take away from the fact that since Kenny's plane is NOT BVM that the problem or complaince wouldn't be solved the exact same way. In that respect there was no reason to make the comment about David's equipment being BVM. In this case, a twin is a twin is a kick ***** jet!
Sean,

I follow your logic here, but you have to read the smilies. True, there was no REASON to make the crack at DavidR, but then again there's no reason to post 90% of the stuff posted on this site! Wow, can you imagine if we only posted the comments that there was a REASON to post?? See, David is a PROFESSIONAL instigator. I'm only an amateur.

You're right. A twin is a twin is a kick-butt ride. Fact is, there aren't too many of them out there. In fact, I'm sure Kenny's will be the only one at Fresno if not the West Coast. That's what's so exciting about it. Kenny is now the John Holmes of jets.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFalcon

Paul,

I received the high rez dvd today of the maiden. WOW! It is beautiful!!!!!! You can see so nuch more than you can on the internet! Thank you very much, YOU ARE DA MAN!!!
Great Kenny.
I knew you would really enjoy the full-rez version.
Glad I could add to the specialness of this great project of yours.
Maybe next time, I'll have more footage to select from. One short flight requires using everything I was able to shoot, insted of selecting the best footage from several flights. I shoot successive flights differently. Wider shots, etc. But hey, this was a documentation of a maiden...not just a cool jet vid.

Your more than welcome Kenny,
Paul
Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 PM
seanreit

Like I've said in other posts, unless I interect with someone all the time, my memory for who they are or if they are a funny guy or "one of the guys" is about as deep as a fish's.

My bad,

I might remember you now [8D] LOL.

Carry on,
Old 09-02-2004, 11:40 PM
KFalcon

The painter moved the day for paint to tomorrow. It will be an all nighter again...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:48 PM
t_burley

ORIGINAL: KFalcon

The painter moved the day for paint to tomorrow. It will be an all nighter again...

DOOH!! call me in the morning Kenny, and let me know what is going on
am hitting the hay now.........too much, uh, well, cigars, ya, thats it

anyways, let me know whats up? is Mike going to be around this weekend
do you know? if not I guess maybe thats why paint is tomorrow?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 AM
KFalcon

I knew it would be a all nighter! Well if you count 5:15 am the end of the night.

I get just about every thing finished that I wanted to. The rest will be finished at 8:30am when the alarm clock goes off. I am meeting Mike the Dupont master at 9:30 to get started on it. I guess I wound be flying to watch Wills maiden.[]

I put some panel lines in all of the surfaces that had none. It was very time consuming but I think the difference is worth it. Better get to sleep, my 3 hours of sleep is getting shorter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70546.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	169816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42295.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	169817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88607.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	169818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95294.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	169819  
Old 09-03-2004, 07:21 AM
KFalcon

more...

Name:	Db85217.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	169820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15404.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	169821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97477.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	169822   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54677.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	169823  
Old 09-03-2004, 07:22 AM
KFalcon

Todd, I will call you when I am getting ready to head over there.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:48 AM
t_burley

kenny, the panel lines look great, glad you ended up doing them!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:07 AM
seanreit

Add's a lot to the YA jets!! I did it on the F-15 and the little extra work I did then I have thanked myself over and over and over!! Looks great Kenny!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi KENNY,

Here some shots of my 18/b ,just done the wing fold with the grid tape, labour of love!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Graham.

WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET

Name:	Fc90558.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	169869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68431.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	169870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11060.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	169871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26782.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	169872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98107.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	169873  
Old 09-03-2004, 11:51 AM
KFalcon

That is the difference between scale master and my just help the flatspot with some lines job. Beautiful!!!!! Now quit posting super scale pictures on this thread, you make a guy look real bad.

Wanna race?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kenny,

How did you apply the panel lines on the wings and fins?...They look good in the pics.

Craig.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 PM
seanreit

Craig, check my F-15 build photos and look for search here on my F-15 build thread. I get into detail about laying down tape, and primering over and when to pull off the tape to get great lines

www.my87.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.