Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Canard Servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Canard Servos

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:42 AM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canard Servos

I'm wondering what servos to install? Do they need to be as powerfull as my elevons, (DS 8411)? Specifically, it's for a reaper. Do I need to mix both the canards with the ailerons? or could I just use one servo for the canards and mix them with the elevators. I plan on using elevons!
Thanks
Don
Old 05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Canard Servos

Don,

Mick used Futaba 148's on his Reaper, but I would not trust them with a turbine jet. I would say any servo with at least 70oz plus of torque would be ok on the Reaper. I used HiTec HS-625MG's with 76oz of torque on my canards and ailerons. I also have my canards mixed in with ailerons so that I get elevons. You basically want to setup the Reaper like a Delta type jet. At slower speeds for landing, sometimes the canards are not enough to keep the nose high, that is why you want elevons. I would also use a separate servo for each canard.

Do a search for "Super Reaper" on RCU and you will find pictures and setups.

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-21-2004, 01:35 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My standard response is "dude, it's a turbine jet" it's going to be carrying your turbine engine around. Over build the crap out of it. Leave nothing to chance. If it's a primary control surface, it deserves at least an 8411 (or if an equivalent exists in your mind, use that). If that thing is headed toward the ground and you really need to pull on it for whatever reason, the peace of mind in the 8411 knowing it will be there for you.

Cause if this thing goes down, then what?????????

Good Luck, I saw a reaper fly a few weeks ago. Looked pretty cool.

Sean
Old 05-21-2004, 03:28 PM
UK Flier

The reaper flies great with no canard servos at all, just elvons on the wing, so you could save yourself some money. I use Hitec digital HS 5475 digitals servos on the canards but switch them off after take off and back on for landing, I found this gives the smoothest of flights with all the control authority you need at low speed.

If your flying the reaper with a 12 pound thrust turbine your never go to stress out even the cheapest of servos, Mick Reeves recommends 3001's for all control surfaces after all.

I chose the digital Hitecs for all controls, because you can set them to fail safe independent of the receiver. as well as setting up all the throws speed etc makes it independent of which transmitter you use. and they didn't leave a big hole in my pocket.

John
Old 05-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hitek 645MG on My KangARoo ( Canard-A-Roo) no problems
Bought a AD Rafale the small one seller to include JR DS8611. overkill
Old 05-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

My buddy and I put full flying canard on our Reaper (from a Rafale). with a single 8411. we used a hardware store 6-32 bolt for the control horn, and managed to bend it. Changed it out for one of the sullivan super heavy duty units. That the bolt failed before the servo impressed the heck outta me...I'd recommend nothing less than the 8411.

However, with the sweep back of the stock canard elevators, it is tough to power them both with one servo
Old 05-21-2004, 09:05 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

I used (on my stock built Reaper) two Hitec 5945 servos (one for each half) but at 150 ounce/inch torque each on 4.8V, I think it was overkill. I have rebuilt my Reaper recently (after lawn darting it last fall) and redid the canards for a "straight across" hinge line. I have changed the controls to a single HS-5945 servo to power both elevator halves, and one on each the ailerons, and one one each rudder.

I cant forsee any control problems, especially if the ailerons are mixed in to also provide pitch control.

I would like to know what the dude in Austria (that has the super overpowered REaper) is using for servos?

AJC
Old 05-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Look's like the Reaper is following in lines with the VW Beetle, " Built in every configuration that you could possibly imagine".

Mine will be using JR 4721's on all control surfaces. Hopefully, they will get the job done!!! I have too believe that I hold the record for the longest build on the Reaper... it's been along time coming.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33775.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	134811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15543.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	134812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45029.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	134813  
Old 05-21-2004, 11:16 PM
AtomicFrawg
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

I have a Hitek 645MG on My KangARoo ( Canard-A-Roo) no problems
Bought a AD Rafale the small one seller to include JR DS8611. overkill
Is this the Rafale Rick was selling? If it is He just wanted to put the 8611's in Because They are the newest thing out. . Not Over kill, Just New gaget. He is a Gaget Loving guy.

Chris L