Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

chicken flop or ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

chicken flop or ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:11 PM
mgary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chicken flop or ???

Hi All

Just a note regarding the flight of my kangaroo: I've been flying it for about a year and decided to try something I had seen at the Woodland-Davis fan fly, so I went vertical and gave the P-120 full throttle, it's limited to @ 20lbs., when I reached the top I retarded the throttle a little and gave it down elevator.
It immediately went through 3 or 4 forward flops, end over end, which I expected but when I eased up on the elevator, it went into an upright flat spin to the right[X(]. I gave it a little down elevator and it came right out of the spin which allowed my heart to start beating again. I flew around a little longer to calm my nerves and made a picture perfect landing! Nothing like adrenaline to get one to focus!! Anyway is it normal to enter a flat spin after the flop? I sure wasn't expecting it. By the way I was at a couple of cliks above idle, I think during the flop and spin and no additional throttle was given to exit the spin.
Thanx,
Mgary
Old 05-28-2004, 10:09 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: chicken flop or ???

My buddy Dennis Lott perfected and named the "chicken flop" it is perfectly normal for it to spin after the flop the other thing if you had added power you never would have recovered from the spin.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:32 PM
thunderjet
My Feedback: (1)

If it doesn't end in a flat spin You aint doin it right....

If I recall the way to do a flop is to enter at 45% inverted up line go to Idle. Just as it comes to a stop go full power and full down. Mine will flop untill I let it go. Sometimes you can end it in an invert. flat spin that has very little alt. loss just by adding rudder with the down you already have. To recover just go to Idle the nose will drop and you are shortly back to flying. (do all this with lots of altitude at first)

Thunderjet
Old 05-28-2004, 11:08 PM
mgary

Thanx for the replys, it was sure nice to see the recovery take place, and the Jet Cat didn't even burp during the extreme manuevers!!
Mgary
Old 05-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

David

"other thing if you had added power you never would have recovered from the spin".

I love the way you just wrote this line in...........................Lol

Ian
Old 05-29-2004, 10:11 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That´s the way I lost my Kangaroo, it flopped at the top of a big lazy loop and entered a inverted flat spin to the ground. My setup didn´t help either.. I was flying it with a big and heavy turbomin and the c.g. was at the rear limit. the fall seemed to me to last forever!!!
it was the most spectacular spin I ever watched, pity that was my plane!

Regards, Enrique
Old 05-29-2004, 09:26 PM
mgary

Enrique, sorry for your loss, I've seen other planes do the slow flat spin into the ground, they do seem to take forever.
Mgary
Old 05-30-2004, 10:56 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Mgary, the only good thing about this kind of crash is that you have plenty of time to shut off the turbine! Regards, Enrique
Old 05-31-2004, 02:17 AM
Bob Toilet

Hi guys,

I have just started to do the chicken flop, and everytime it ends out in a almost stand still inverted flatspin. it just looks so cool! I have 14,5 kg. of thrust, and theres just no end of power. Have all of you tilted your turbines? If so how much? I have tilted mine 5mm and that works well, but it looks kind of strange

best regards

Christian
Old 05-31-2004, 02:50 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

The Rookie is great for "chicken flopping". After you let it settle into a long slow flat spin towards the ground, you can use the thrust vectoring to make the nose drop. You can really let it drop a long way and make a bunch of people real nervous.