Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

G&P Sales F18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

G&P Sales F18

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 06:11 PM
rcflier15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G&P Sales F18

Thought I would share a few photos of my G&P Sales F18 pusher under construction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27786.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	137869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18626.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	137870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17660.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	137871  
Old 05-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G&P Sales F18

Ahh, yes.....

I remember that airplane. I built it three times. It's a nice one when you're finished. Flies great. Good job so far, it looks like!
Old 05-30-2004, 06:36 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive seen video of one flying, supposed to fly great!! I had one for a little while but never finished it
Old 05-31-2004, 10:42 AM
half blind
My Feedback: (23)

"Hey"! how you doing, Iam building one of those. I am about to start glassing the surfaces, in the photos I see flaps where installed, I was thinking of doing the same but was told it was not necessary but iam rethinking it now. I also when with the full elevator. I when with operational rudders.
What motor are you useing? I have a MVVS .77 on pipe but iam thinking about get a OS 91.
Well your plane looks good, good luck [X[X(]
Old 05-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

The G&P F18 flies awesome.I had one I bought off a buddy here locally.I repainted it and remounted the elv. servos in the tail .I highly recommend doing this if you plan to go with a OS91 as this engine will bring about flutter otherwise.I much prefer the 91 over a 61 which I had on it at first.The plane was a dog with a 61 but the 91 on it -much muchhh better.The jet flies simply awesome,quite fast,looks ,flies & feels just like a DF in flight.I put approx. 30-35 flights on mine then gave it to a kid at my field that couldnt afford to get into DF's but wanted a jet to fly.Have fun with it as it is a total blast

Steve
Old 05-31-2004, 11:37 AM
rcflier15

Hello Half,

I'm using a Magnum 75 with a Genesis mini pipe I had built by www.justengines.unseen.org. You can barely see it in the photo from the rear of my plane. As for the flaps, I know they are not really needed, but I had to do something different. I'm using sonic tronics hidden hinges for the gear doors. I CAed the hinges in place then used resin and small strips of glass mat to secure them in. You can get the door hinge kits from sonic tronics which have spring loaded hinges so you don't need to use the rubber bands as Bill shows you in the video on the main gear doors. I put my air fill valve and power switch on a ply rail inside the front nose gear doors just ahead of the nose gear when it is up. For convenience, I glassed the vertical stabs and primered them before installing them. It makes it much easier to sand before you glue them in. Later I'll shoot a light coat of primer on the vertical stabs when I prime the entire plane, but then they will only need a light scuffing. When I take more photos I will post them.

So how far along are you with yours? I didn't put ruddres on mine as you can see, but I would be interested in seeing how you installed yours with the servos.

Well Good Luck!

Regards,
Dan
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Dig it

Hey all. I just put the retracts in mine the other night. Going to start building the wings right away. Good to hear about the elevator servo's in the end cus I just happen to have a OS91FX sitting on my bench to go in it. I can't wait to get it going. I'm sure it'll do circles around my poor DC F-20...
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Be nice to see some vid of one too!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 PM
rcflier15

John,
As you can see, I'm still a ways off from finishing mine, but I will take flight video, or I can take some sooner before it's flight ready. I just ahve to figure out my camera and how to transfer it to the computer.

Regards,
Dan
Old 08-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FentressJets - Steve,
For the OS91, what prop did you use and what pipe setup did you go with?

Spar
Old 08-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Steve S

Hey

I used the Zinger 11x8 pusher wood props,just make sure you install a wire prop strike guard.I didn't use a pipe on mine actually,I just used the standard FX muffler.A buddy here locally who has a G&P 18 made a bottom hatch on his so the pipe could exit out there,I Just never saw a need to go thru all that when it flew great with the basic 91 muffler.I used a 1 3/4" aluminum hub spinner.I had my fuel tank mounted in the rear just in front of the engine(was a 20 oz.)

The relocation of the elv. servos to the rear is a must or you will lose the plane to flutter with a 91fx on it.Also make absolute sure your CG Is right on,slightest little bit tail heavy & you will be in for one hairy a** maiden,I know this all too well.Mine did a torque roll on takeoff & I barely made it back around for a landing..I fought that lap back to the runway big time!

Well have fun with it,they are a total blast & very easy to fly.You'll love yours

Steve
Old 08-13-2004, 06:36 AM
QuickE23
My Feedback: (12)

How much nose weight did you guys need???
Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Steve S

I can't remember exactly ,its been about 2 years since I passed mine on to a kid at my field.I wanna say it was somewhere around 4 oz. of lead in addition to the JR1800 4.8 in the nose.Then I believe after I relocated the Elv. servos to the tail I had to add like another 2 ounces to the nose.The biggest thing with the G&P 18 is to be for certain that your CG is right on as the slightest little bit of tailheaviness is very ugly on this plane.Once ya get that squared away its is a blast of a plane to fly.

I would love to have another one,if I did it would have scale sized flaps & ails..I wonder if anyone has ever bult one of these with full flying stabs?

Steve
Old 08-13-2004, 10:43 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FentressJets

[snip]

I would love to have another one,if I did it would have scale sized flaps & ails..I wonder if anyone has ever bult one of these with full flying stabs?

Steve
It looks like the one in the picture has full flying stabs, actually. Also, I built the version of this plane from the RCm plans and did it with full flying stabs, and it flew great!

Bob
Old 08-13-2004, 11:14 AM
QuickE23
My Feedback: (12)

I have 12 oz. weight in the nose, all servos forward, fuel tank on CG with a 4oz header at the firewall. ST .61 ABC hanging on the butt end. Very sensitive to elevater. Otherwise flies good.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

Hello everybody,
I am going to order the G&P Sales F-18 today. Has anybody else started one of these recently ?
How about you guys that started this thread, how are your jets coming ?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about to start mine this week. Full flying stabs.... not decided on flaps or not, as her slow flying characteristics are pretty good as they are.
I have an OS91Fx to go in her. Servos are still to be bought, but the stabs will probably be digital Hitec 5645MG's. Regular 645's for ailerons.

Spar