Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F18. Just got mine......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F18. Just got mine......

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 AM
BMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster F18. Just got mine......

Just glanced over my freshly delivered F18 (primer & ail/flaps/rud version). Anybody have any flight experience with this model? And is there supposed to be a manual or build guide in there that they forgot to include?
Cheers
Andre
Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default RE: Skymaster F18. Just got mine......

Go to http://www.skymasterjet.com/ and follow the F-18 menu. The instruction manuals are online with good pictures and diagrams.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:01 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine close to a month now. The assembling part is great. I love the jet because the strength of the fuse and wings. In my opinion its firmer than the yellow aircraft twin. It has 10 gear doors and 9 cylinder valves. Only problem is, it needs small modifications so the doors fit right. I am now waiting on the main struts to continue. Can't wait to maiden her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81755.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	138877  
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
MNModels

Hello Andre,

Glad you got it safely! Not one of the Skymaster RC kits come with instructions. All the instructions are on the web site. Even the gear door installastion. I am busy putting a step by step photo instructions together. Not many steps from start to finish.

Hope to see it fly real soon with a BMT120KS. Let me know what you think of qaulity.

Best regards

Morné
www.mnmodels.co.za
Old 06-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Daniel Hice

Just a quick question here:

I have always been scared of the price of turbine setups because the turbines alone were 5k+ but then I came over to the plane world and they are much cheaper. Yes in helicopters the Turbines are a tad more expensive

Would this model work as a first step into Jets or do I need to take baby steps like every other part of the R/C world? I currently build Scale R/C Helicopters.

Let me know cause I really like the look of this setup
Old 06-02-2004, 06:15 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan I think you just answered your own question. Now that you are at the experience and skill level to build & fly scale helicopters(even turbines) how would you respond to a helicopter newbie wanting to build a turbine heli first time out. Although the F-18 is one of the best flying scale turbines out there, there are much easier turbine aircraft to learn to fly. This is just one man's opinion.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

My F-18 is a couple of weeks away from it's maiden. Just need to finish the wings. I posted a couple of threads a while back showing the layout of the mainboard and more detail on the speedbrake, because even the on-line instructions don't address it.

I have enjoyed building it and other than a couple of small issues, it has gone together well. I'll keep you posted on the flight experience, which hopefully will be as good as the building.

If you do a search on my posts, you should find the threads I started.

Regards, Keith.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:43 PM
AirPac Models

Thank you Keith for all of post you did. It's should improve quality of the instruction manuals.
Can't wait to see your black tail F-18 fly.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:36 AM
BMT

Hi All,
Thanks for the input. The more I look at it the more I like it. Had a few people drool over it. The level of detail is very good I think. Only thing I would like reassurance on is the wing fixing mechanism. Hope it can handle the G's. Some parts need a bit of work to fit but then even "top dog" kits I have need the same or more work. and the price is OK. Would certainly like to hear how they handle.
Cheers
Andre

Morné, Thanks for the good deal. Looks to be worth it. See you in Robertson on Saturday, hope to have my Hotspot there with a KS in it.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:01 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Andre, I saw this jet perform at Florida Jets. It is absolutely the best performing F-18 I've seen to date. I don't know whether it's just that most the Yellow's I've seen fly, either the pilot is afraid to really wring it out?? Or that the Yellow's are typically underpowered? The one I saw fly was P-120 powered and it was capable of well over 200 MPH flight. Everything about the airplane screamed predictable, stable, and fun.

I didn't get a chance to get on the sticks, but there were people all weekend just slobbering all over the airplane and how well it flew.

Good Luck,

Sean

PS, your BMT engine will do very well in this airplane, but I'm sure you already know that
Old 06-03-2004, 04:16 PM
MNModels

Hi Andre,

You sure would be first one to fly one in South Africa. I have not heard one bad thing about the skymaster F18 flying characteristics. I can comment on the Yellow Twin cause i flew it on twin ducted fan and single turbine and it sits and feels rock solid from take off to landing. It sure is a great flyer.

I think its the labour of love and a hell of a lot of time and money that makes the twin a show piece and not an all day aerobatic machine.

If the F18 flies anything like the F15 it sure will be a great performer. Will fly my skymaster F15 and latest trainer "Draco" this weekend in Robertson. See you there.

Morné
www.mnmodels.co.za
Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
basimpsn

pilott28

Its good to see your F-18 is getting close to its maiden flight. I wish you good luck.

My question is do you use the sky master main tank setup ???. My concern is the position of the hole in main tank is too close to the top of the tank. It seems that during inverted flight the fuel tubing will not be able to move back and forth as it should causing a flameout. Please let me know what you think.

Here are some pictures.

Name:	Wu60197.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	139204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36093.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	139205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33773.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	139206  
Old 06-03-2004, 04:45 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

pilott28

Its good to see your F-18 is getting close to its maiden flight. I wish you good luck.

My question is do you use the sky master main tank setup ???. My concern is the position of the main tank fuel line its too close to the top of the tank.

Here are some picture.
You did it wrong.
Bent the vent back and up. Add another fuel line to get the vent reach to the top.
This apply to any tanks you set up.
Tam
Old 06-03-2004, 05:38 PM
basimpsn

Tam,

I know you just explained this on the phone, but I am still having a problem visualizing how that will work.

Does anyone else have any input on this? I would love to hear from someone who has flown this plane with the stock fuel tank setup.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Fuel vent

The Vent tube is not at the top of the tank so you will never be able to fully fuel this tank.

Tam mentioned the fuel tubing because sometimes the brass tube can't reach the top of the tank so you attach a fuel line to make it taller.

Hope that helps

Ian
Old 06-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Phil Cole

Have you assembled the tank and tried turning it over to see whether the clunk will remain in the fuel?

I do agree that it may not, particularly with a normal size clunk and the Tygon tubing. If it can get to the top, what are the chances that it stays there when you're back flying upright?
Old 06-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Global10
My Feedback: (20)

This will be my next project!!!! Once Congress approves of the funding.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 AM
BMT

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the re-assurance. Glad to hear it flies so well. Some of us here were pondering whether the size and shape resembles the old BYRON F18.....
I am still not sure to fly it sport or do an effort to give it a scale finnish. The details beg for a good effort. Maybe I will fly this one sport and get another....
Cheers
Andre
Old 06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

On one of my earlier Y/A F-18 singles, I once had the fuel clunk get stuck at the top of the conformal tank on an inverted manuever and caused a flame out. An easy fix was to use a longer brass tube and bend it downward. Thus, the shorter length of tygon tubing in the tank will resist being folded stuck at the top of the tank when the plane is inverted. I never had a problem after this modification.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Guy's, I was the one flying the Skymaster F-18 at Florida Jets. Everything that Sean said is absolutley correct, this plane fly's incredible. I have a big yellow F-18 that is completely done and awaiting an engine and all I can think about is the Skymaster. It is a little smaller then the Yellow (obiously) but when it taxis onto the runway it does not look much smaller. It has a very nice presence in the air and on the ground, and like Sean said, it is the best flying F-18 I have ever seen. I saw video of my flights in Florida Jets and could not believe how fast it was going, if I would have been standing where the spectators and camera guy's were I probably would have pulled the power off more. I take off with half flaps, and land with full. I did not use the speedbrake for landing, it did not need it because once you get the nose up just a little and apply the proper amount of power it slows down very nicely and practically lands itself. The only problem I have had landing this plane is the first flight when I came in too fast. I over flared and then released the stick and let it come back down and it landed just fine, the remaining landings after that I was comfortable enough with the plane to let the nose come up and fly it in.........it likes that alot. I know what some of you are thinking "thats just common sense, thats how you land a jet" your right, and this plane very predictable.
The handling in the air is incredible as well, it fly's very scale and will also do anything a sport plane can do.......and then some.
I know that the gear doors on the F-18 is a pain in the butt.....but worth every last hour it takes when you see this plane on final with the flaps down and the door hangin......mmmmmmmmmmmmm sooooooo nice.
I know you guy's are gonna love this thing, especially you Basil.....I've seen you fly, and you and the rest of the Red Tails are gonna be jumpin up and down after the first flight.

Enjoy,

Dave

Name:	Ay73285.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	140340  
Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 AM
basimpsn

Dave

I am here on rcuniverse asking question about the F-18 and you was the test pilot for JOHNNY F-18 at F/J [X(]. I had both days to get all the information i wanted from you and blow it. [:@]
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
basimpsn

Phil Cole

You hit the nail on the head. I just don't like the chance of the clunk getting stuck because of the odd shape of the tank. 7" by 4. TANK

HotelSierra
not sure if its the same kind of tank in the single like the one in my skymaster. To get an idea of what i'm talking about. Put a regular 50 ounce tank upright for normal operations.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:52 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Hi everyone: I saw the SM F-18 flying in FloridaJet video. It fly's extraordinarily fast!!!! I just want to know how will handle with a 20#thrust turbine. I am ready to get a gripen, but the F-18 is twisting my brain.[sm=bananahead.gif] What a beauty! Will be a good choice for second plane, or just try the gripen instead?. To be honest first I need some flying time with my Roo II. Just want to have a second plane in the hangar.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

I couldnt tell you for sure how it would fly with a 20lb turbine, but I cant tell you that it doesnt need all of the P120. I saw that florida jets video too, that is when i really saw how fast that thing is....I didnt think it was going that fast when i was flying it.
Sorry you didint know Basil, but you can chew on my ear anytime bud.

Take care guys
Dave
Old 06-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hello all

I saw Dave fly the F-18 in Florida Jets 2004 and he did a great job flying it! We also had another F-18 flying at the show it was flown by Ali of Al's hobby's in the UK. He also did a fantastic job flying it with the P-120.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to fly the prototype F-18, and one of the first production Skymaster kits in Hawaii.

I really like flying the F-18 it is solid, like it is on rails when in the air. I have a Skymaster F-15, Gripen and a F-18 (unfinished). Compared to the other 2 airplanes the F-18 is definitely the most solid, like a big fast pattern ship. The F-15 is lighter loaded and is more sporty, the Gripen is fast and will do some very interesting post stall flying.

The one thing I would say is the F-18 really needs it's flaps, I flew the prototype without flaps, and if you have a long runway it is not a problem. You wouldn't believe it but at 28 - 32 lbs it floats down the runway in ground effect when you flare. With flaps it is a dream to land, no problems.

Buck G. has told me a neat trick to make the spars slide in and out of the airplane easier, he said to use a soap bar and rub it on the spars to provide some lube. I tried it and it works well.

Andre the KS-120 will be a great combo in the bird! Also the F-18 is the same scale as the Byron F-18 I believe 1/8. You should have seen the work Skymaster did on the wood plug, those guy's can carve, and fast and when we suggested some changes to the prototype, poof they had it done amazing. You would not believe the progress on some of their new project's very very impressive, if things go right this year I'm gonna have some fun at Superman!

Hello Avicom I'm not sure the 20# turbine will do ok in the F-18, It will probably fly, but I'm sure that you will have to be 80% most of the flight. Although I would agree with Dave the F-18 has plenty of power with the P-120. I have a SimJet 1700 Sp and once I have mine built I could try it. But I would recommend at least a 25 lb thrust turbine for max fun factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.