Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Patriot ARF-Powerplant

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Patriot ARF-Powerplant

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 04:16 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot ARF-Powerplant

Not shooting for any speed records, and I am an average engine tuner... Oh, and on a budget so no Jett 50!

Thanks for reading,
james
Old 07-07-2002, 05:32 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Patriot ARF-Powerplant

You cant go wrong with a cox
Old 07-07-2002, 11:52 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OS46

You forgot the most popular one. I have an OS46SF with a Performance Specialties muffler.

Joe
Old 07-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Razor-RCU

Default Patriot

Is that in a Patriot? How is the performance?

Thanks,
james
Old 07-07-2002, 01:18 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Patriot 46

Yes, the Patriot was designed for a 40-46 sized engine. GP's ad claimed that it would go 115 mph with an OS46. The plane only weighs 5.5#, and has several oz. of lead in the back for balance.

I think putting a 61 in it would make the plane too heavy. To make a plane like that go faster you need more rpm's not an engine that will swing a bigger prop.

A friend has one with an OS46FX and stock muffler. I'd say it's in the 110-115 mph range. Mine goes about 125 mph and has unlimited vertical. I thought of putting a Mac pipe on it, but that would be inconvenient for removing the wing. The Perf. Specialties muffler is almost as good.

Since you are on a budget and not out to break any speed records, I'd suggest going with a standard 46 sized engine. You could add a tuned pipe or performance muffler later if you decide you want more speed.

Joe
Old 07-09-2002, 02:13 PM
rolln_thndr
My Feedback: (1)

Default Webra Speed 40

I had a Patriot for a couple seasons and it flew great with a Speed 40 on it (stock). No shortage of speed or verticle depending on the prop you use.

Personally I would keep the plane as light as possible (small engine with big punch) that way you'll get the most enjoyment out of it. It will handle the extra weight as it is a well designed and great flying plane, but that sort of thing is up to you, the builder.

Have you ever flown one before? If not, your in for a real treat. They clip a long pretty good if you've installed retracts and can be slowed way down for landings. I used 2 aileron servos so I could have flaperons. Worked great, you could slow it down so much that you were landing at trainer speeds. I race QM40 and Q500, next to my race planes, the Patriot was my favorite sport plane. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:20 PM
Razor-RCU

Default Thanks!

Thanks folks!! I just found a pretty good deal on an Irvine .53, so I will put that in the Patriot... Anybody seen one with the Irvine up front?

Thanks again, and long live the P A T R I O T S

JAMES