Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help, where am I going wrong with my ES?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help, where am I going wrong with my ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:44 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Help, where am I going wrong with my ES?

Hmm, I've flown my ES only twice now, and I think I'm messing something up.

The first time I flew it was off a road, and the TO roll seemed far more excessive than I imagined. I would estimate the roll at close to 450 feet. The plane is powered by a Eagle TJT 3000 (27.5# thrust), weighs 27.2#s empty (is that overly heavy?), carries about 1.5 gallons and has the stock Compoiste-Arf gear (skip that gear, weak and has almost 1/4" slop after one grass TO and one grass landing). On landing I was holding it off and had it slowed down allright (I thought I could slow it down a bunch more) and it dropped out of the air--HARD (from about 8'). The gear plates flexed and popped through one wing. There wasn't any structural damage, just cosmetic and to the ego. It was gusty that day, and I'm wondering if I caught a gust wrong (I could be just making myself feel better too!).

I repaired it and the second flight was off grass. Granted the grass was not a putting green, but the jet took every bit of 500' (perhaps more). For the landing the jet took every bit of 400', in grass (I was not on the brakes). As far as the landing is concerned I made quite a few approaches slowing it as I went. I touched faster than I thought was required, but that was based on my first flight fears.

Should I be more proactive about horsing it off the ground (I programmed ~10mils of up on the canard)? Honestly, how slow will this thing fly? When you guys drag them in, does the AOA allow you to scrape the tail before you touch the gear (just trying to get a feel for the 'picture'). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 06-03-2004, 02:55 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help, where am I going wrong with my ES?

I have personally never flown one but I have seen a ton of them land. They land nose high and really slow. The slow flight is really good also. There is some really good ES pilot here that I'm sure can help, good luck!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Stig Andersen

Hi Dave.

I have about 200 flights on two different ES over the past year. Also maidened a few for some friends. (Not as many flights as Todd W., but I'm getting there)

First of all, I would recommend you check the CG with full tanks and empty tanks. Your carrying a lot of fuel.

Secondly, I would recommend you to go fly the plane in calm winds the first few times. Do some slow flights with it in a safe altitude. The trick is to ADD POWER when the AOA rises. Otherwise the plane will come down like a piano (Danish term) That should give you a pretty good feel of, how stable the plane is a slow speeds.

Also, check that your canard incidence is right. You can program some flaps into the canards for starts. It really helps a lot. Whether or not you want to keep the canards active during flight is up to you, but use them during the starts.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:01 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a video of my worst landing with my ES. In gusty winds. Im lucky I didn`t rupture my wings too.....

http://www.dronninglund-mfk.dk/images/Eurosport.wmv
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My take offs from grass were running about 400' with pavement runs at about 350'. I had quite a bit of lead in the nose to balance it and it weighed 26.5# dry. I moved all of the turbine accessories forward ( I had them next to the turbine) and I removed all of the lead weight. This moved the CG to the rear of the stock location a little. I programmed the canards for 5mm down at the trailing edge for take off. Now she gets off in about 200 - 250 feet on grass. I am also using the Model Mechanics gear and they are holding up as well as the Robarts I had in my Roo. I have also retrofitted the speed brake using Todds excellant instructions and templates ( http://www.dreamworksrc.com/ ) and it is now easier to slow down if I come in a little hot on landing.

Good luck

Forgot to mention that mine is P120 powered.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:43 AM
MDEE

You need lots of power when the aoa increases, otherwise you will run out of elevator and she will drop like a brick. Use power to control the descent, if you try to glide a eurosport in, you will have problems.

Mark
Old 06-03-2004, 10:49 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Dave,
350 to 400' is normal for takeoff run with the amount of fuel you are carrying. You can shorten the length slightly by dropping the TE of the cannard 10mm during takeoff programmed to a switch but if you have the runway length....use it. As for landings, the euro will slow down to a crawl if you use throttle to control your decent. From your description, you sound heavy on landing? How long are you flying and how much fuel do you have remaining? AOA should not be high enough to scrape the tail on landing but you can land arounf 15 to 20 deg nose high. Trick to getting the euro very slow on landing is to use throttle to control decent at elevator to control attitude. Learn how to do this properly and you will be amazed on how slow you can land.
Todd
Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Just a quick question to the Eurogurus, I have 8 flights so far on mine, and have found that the plane flies well, very well, but doing full power levelled flight, it seems to have tendency to put the nose down as the speed increases. DO you have experienced this? Could be the canards that need a bit more of AOA? Moving surfaces centers and travels are set as reccomended in the manual. This effect only seems to appear at high power, in mid/slow speed the bird is trimmed OK.

BTW, I have a video of the take-off here: http://www.jets-munt.com/takeoff.wmv I'm testing a new engine, and it is a bit overpowered (37lb), but very funny, endless verticals...

Regards,

Gaspar

http://www.jets-munt.com
Old 06-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gaspar, what's a Merlin 160?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:28 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Woketman, check out the link he had at the bottom of his post.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:54 PM
bahamadude

Default Euro Landings ?

Does the euro need brakes ?

After i saw landings like that, slow to a crawl hmm.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:05 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys, thanks for the advice. As soon as the plane is unpacked again in Korea I'll give it another try.

I will have to replace the gear soon (stay away from the Composite-Arf gear--unless they've changed it recently). Anyone have suggestions on what gear to go with? I read about some of the problems folks are having with getting the Robart gear and thought I might be able to shed some light on it: I called Robart to get a new nose strut...they informed me that all ES gear has to be purchased through Don Kanak from Planes Plus in IL. They have some sort of deal going there. Maybe that will help.

As far as the CG is concerned, it looked good as per the plans. I suppose I can start working it aft slowly. I didn't end up having to add any weight at all. The fuel, 164 oz (sorry not a gallon and a half...bad math) all sits on the CG as well (Planes Plus tanks).

Thanks again

Dave
Old 06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
MDEE

Default RE: Euro Landings ?

The Euro needs brakes, they have saved me on many times, Eurosports dont always land at a crawl if you get it wrong. I always use them to hold on full power prior to takeoff because of the short grass strip we use.

Mark
Old 06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
kamy

hey Guys

here in Switzerland we take for gear from Behotec C50,,,,,,,,,,,,an they are Perfekt[sm=thumbup.gif]

rg.

www.behotec.de

Kamy
Old 06-03-2004, 08:04 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Brakes are a good thing to have on the Euro. I found out I could fly without them on a 400ft strip b/c for the first 10 flight or so mine were not working right. I enjoy it much more now that they are working B/C I am not always concerned about getting slow and landing on the far end of the runway.
As for the gear, Robarts are great. Have you tried Tam, a friend of mine just got a set from him a few weeks ago?

Dave
Old 06-04-2004, 08:40 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Gaspar

Hello,

Just a quick question to the Eurogurus, I have 8 flights so far on mine, and have found that the plane flies well, very well, but doing full power levelled flight, it seems to have tendency to put the nose down as the speed increases. DO you have experienced this? Could be the canards that need a bit more of AOA? Moving surfaces centers and travels are set as reccomended in the manual. This effect only seems to appear at high power, in mid/slow speed the bird is trimmed OK.

BTW, I have a video of the take-off here: http://www.jets-munt.com/takeoff.wmv I'm testing a new engine, and it is a bit overpowered (37lb), but very funny, endless verticals...

Regards,

Gaspar

Gaspar,
Do you have intakes installed? When centered, do you have any up trim in the elevons? Is the TE of the canard even with the panel line when centered?
Regards,
Todd
Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Todd,

Yes, I have Tam intakes, and the elevons are near to zero. Should check the canard, not sure now if it is exactly centered. I had planned to assign one slider chanel on the TX to modify the center on the canards in flight and do some tests.

I found that the glue joint on both intakes had broke, need some work to re-glue and reinforce with a bit of glass cloth... too much speed..

Thanks,

Gaspar
Old 06-04-2004, 11:03 AM
lov2flyrc

Gaspar,
There may be a few things going on here.....

1) canard not set at correct incidence, check to make sure you have 0 reflex at the elevons, this can be adjusted at the canards if you do.
2) possible elevon or canard servo stall at high speed, what servos?
3) what are you using for linkage at the canards? Possible flex in the canard linkage! (i have seen this when using stock linkage system)
4) Intake sepeartion at the seam during high speed causing adverse drag, thus causing the nose to tuck.

Todd