Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

carbon tubes on KingCat ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

carbon tubes on KingCat ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default carbon tubes on KingCat ?

Anyone replace the aluminum wing tubes in the king cat with carbon fiber ones ? is it worth bothering ? On my Rookie i replaced the aluminum one with a doubled up carbon set up, but htats because the stock aluminum ones are known to bend .... Im puting 45 lbs (speed limited by pito sensor on ECU obviously ..) of thrust on mine and want to make sure the tubes hold up ....

Wojtek
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: carbon tubes on KingCat ?

One of my biggest concerns with the P-200 on my Kingcat was the additional weight of the engine. I was not as concerned with the structural integrity of the wing tubes, or spar structure as I was with slinging the engine off the back. The other consideration is how do you know that the CF tubes are any stronger than the aluminum? They would also likely just break instead of bending. I think I would forward this question to BV himself.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 PM
wojtek

Thanks for the reply David, the reason I asked was because i know the some other planes that have aluminum tubes get bent when flown hard ... im not intending to pull much more Gs with the 200 as i would have with a 160 .... (only reason im getting the 200 is because it runs better than the 160s ) i figure the 200 would be cool though for pulling into super vertical out of slow level flight ...., and i will be running a speedlimiter at around 200 mph.

as goes for the weight, what did it take to balance yours ? I have heard that the clear cockpit kit kind of balances it out as it is anywy (which i have) .... you did not have to add a significant ammount of weight for balance ? did you ? also, any issues with mounting the 200 on the back ?

thanks,

Wojtek
Old 06-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

I think a balance would be to insert an aluminum tube inside a carbon tube so you have the resistance to bending without snapping the whole thing off, mightt give you the best of both worlds.

Chris
Old 06-05-2004, 11:22 AM
wojtek

i talked to several people who fly the crap out of the king cats and everyone said the carbon tubes would be unnecessary and just to leave it alone ... i actually forgot about this post ..

if i ever do feel like beefing up the tubes, i would just stick a carbon tube inside the stock aluminum ones, just to keep the right fit inside the tubes ... for now, im leaving it stock also ...

WOjtek
Old 06-06-2004, 04:22 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Wojtek,

When you get your engine, and your airplane compare the size of the gnien to the size of the opening. You have two options, either hack the back of your airplane up, or build a standoff/engine mount. Scott Marr and I used almost identical methods of mounting our engines with the standoff/mounts, John Redman did the mods to the back of the airplane. Personally I did not want to butcher my airplane up as I only wanted to mount the 200 on my for a short time as a test bed.