Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FREQUENCY SCANNERS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FREQUENCY SCANNERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 05:16 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREQUENCY SCANNERS

I LIVE IN ORANGE COUNTY CA. I WANT TO BUY A FREQUENCY SCANNER. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE I CAN BUY ONE? WHICH BRAND AND MODEL ARE GOOD FOR RC USE??

THANKS
Old 06-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: FREQUENCY SCANNERS

I use the ICOM IC-Q7A scanner. It is a small, handheld unit that is actually a FM Transceiver, and also covers the 72 Mhz band that we operate on.
They list for around $125.00 and includes a charger and a set of two AA size 700 Ma Ni Cads.
It will scan the entire 72 Mhz band in 20 Mhz steps from the bottom to the top, stopping on in-use frequencies giving off an audible warning.
ICOM also makes a more expensive version that some of the guys are using. The IC-Q2A is about twice the price, but I don't know what more it can do that the IC-Q7A can't.

I bought mine from a local ham radio outlet in San Diego.

Look up ICOM on the web for more info.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Team JetCat
Old 06-05-2004, 10:44 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Thanks Harley!!! I met you at BITW. It was fun watching you put the hammer down on that bobcat of yours.

Doug
Old 06-05-2004, 10:54 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Icom is pretty good, but other scanners scan the 72 mHz band too. I think you meant that it steps in 20 kHz steps, and not mHz. I have several AOR scanners that allow you to program the step rate down to 5 kHz increments. I think that you may miss some signals with such large steps as in the Icom. 20 kHz is pretty broad. You cover a range faster with bigger steps, but you have a large chance of missing things between the steps.