Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Facet Antenna routing and range check

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Facet Antenna routing and range check

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 01:08 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facet Antenna routing and range check

Would the owners of Facets please advise whether you are using loaded whip antennas or the regular wire antenna? It seems to me that with the receiver positioned as shown on the plan, a regular wire antenna running from the rear of the fuselage hatch to the top of the vertical fin should be quite sufficient. Also what is the approx range with the TX antenna collapsed for a Futaba TX with Futaba PCM rcvr? TKs
Old 06-06-2004, 07:51 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Facet Antenna routing and range check

I don't like running my RX antenna outside the fuse (just a personal preference), so I ran mine in the cardboard tube that the elevator servo lead runs in. If it had range tested marginal then I was going to install a Revolution whip just behind the top hatch. I use a JR TX and with the TX antenna removed I got about 400' range. (I stopped there because I didn't want to go through the barbed wire fence). Maybe someone with a Futaba TX will chime in here.

You're going to love the way the Facet flies.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:41 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
My reciever is mounted as shown and I run the antenna out the top of the fuse by the back of the top hatch, to the top of the fin, works fine for me. Whip antenna's, IMHO look plain ugly!
BRG,
Jon
Old 06-06-2004, 07:44 PM
KevinM

Hi Guys,

I also did the "out the top, back to the fin" with both my Facets, per the plans. With the 1200 I had to be a bit careful though 'cause the end of the Rx antenna could get a little toasty in the exhaust plume. With my 2400T (essentially the same fuse as the 2300) the end of the Rx antenna stops right at the tip of the fin so I have no worries there.

Both are controlled through Futaba PCM Rx's, but I can't remember what kind of distances I'd been getting with the antenna collapsed. (Similar to Gary, I got tired of walking!)
Old 06-06-2004, 08:13 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done both set-ups with equal results. Let me correct that, my whip was not loaded, it was one of GW's. It's really a personal preference. Range was in the 350'-400' range.

George
Old 06-06-2004, 08:24 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Thanks. I will use the wire antenna from back of hatch to vert fin. Waiting for a better weather for maiden flight. This is my first turbine plane.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:47 PM
sportflyer-RCU

I forgot to ask whether you guys think it possible for the Facet 2300 ( powered by Simjet 1700) to take off at my current club field runway which is 300ft long that has a rubber/felt type runway surface? Its a bittle bumpy though. Tks
Old 06-06-2004, 09:51 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

A friend of mine was thinking about powering his Facet 2300 with a JetCat P70. So just for grins I tried a takeoff with my P120 only turning about 102,000 (between 17 & 18#). It lifted off in about 250 - 300 feet off of grass with no flaps.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have no issues flying the 2300 from this hard surface with the SIMJET-1700.

You can expect good soild flight performance with the SIMJET-1700 installed and I would expect to see a ground roll of less than 200 feet on T.O. from the surface you have discribed.

Good Luck Jeff.