Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC ARF Draco

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RC ARF Draco

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
MNModels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC ARF Draco

Hi all,

Does anybody out there have any exsperience to share on the Draco . It is a turbine trainer manufactured by RC Arf.com. No instructions in box and no instructions on web site! I also had no reply on my e-mail to factory.

I need to know the location of CG. Also need to know if canards were mixed with elevons and or canards were used as elevators and elevons as ailerons?

Regards

Morné
www.mnmodels.co.za
Old 06-07-2004, 07:12 PM
AirPac Models

Default RE: RC ARF Draco

Morné

We received some Dracos from ARF.com too. There are no instructions, but I don’t find it really necessary since it’s an ARF. All you have to do is put a radio and engine, so I don’t see any need for an instruction manual. But I do agree there should be some written material on CG locations and Rudder/ Aileron setup. I will try and contact the manufacturer to see if they have any plans to have any printed instructions.

We have test flown this plane, and it looks like it will do well as either a trainer or an inexpensive sport jet. Set up is just like the standard delta wing with a canard . We were mixed with elevons and canards . As far as the CG goes, we are still trying to get a second opinion. I should have an answer for you soon.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:07 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Morné,
Although unbuilt, I do have a Draco kit. If I can be of any assistance with the build feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]. Happy to help....
Todd
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 PM
MNModels

Hi,

Thanks Eric. I have spoken to Anton and he said i must contact Duke. Not really a problem with the building - but CG and throws are vital for a customer who buys it simply for the reason it was developed : To start flying turbine models.

See you in 2 weeks time.

Thanks Todd. I will let you know how it progress.

Best regards

Morné
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Morné

We flew the Draco several times on a MW54 electric start and it flew well. I was working on getting the CG dialed in but the older retracts that I had installed caused me some problems. So I took out the turbine and used it in my F-104 that I just completed, and was going to get one of the productions models when I had some time.

I help Airpac out on some of the projects part time, unfortunately like most of us I must make a living working at a job 9-5 so sometimes I do not get as much done as I would like. I know that Eric has other modelers in the US with Dracos and are working on them as we speak, so I'm very sure that he will have more concrete answers in the near future.

If you have any questions I'm sure that Eric or I can answer them.

My Educated guesses of what the Draco prototype was setup with.

1. The CG was around 2 - 3" in-front of the landing gear. It is pretty tolerant of cg location just don't put it closer that 2" in-front of the main gear to start. If it is tail heavy the canard will tend to drive it around the sky and the pitch will stay kind of where you put it.

2. On all the test flights that Anton and I flew the Elevons and Canards were mixed. I would start out with the canards moving around 15 degrees up and 10 degrees down with the elevons. I had higher throws like 30 degrees and it was a little too much.

3. Aileron throw should be around 15 - 10 mm at the root trailing edge, I'm guessing here. The version we tested had separate aileron and elevators. The Gripen we have only uses around 10 -7 mm due to its full span elevons... lots of roll authority.

4. I liked the airplane, It's Big easy to see. It kinda takes off like a B-52 just kind of floats off the runway very neat. Great for close in tight flying. Its not terribly fast on a mw-54 but it had enough to do good loops and it was fun.

Sorry for the guesses, we were testing it right before we had to get ready for Florida Jets, and in all the insanity of getting the show airplanes ready I forgot to document what I did and figured that I should do it on the production one anyway.

I do have some video of it flying if you are interested. I will have to find it hmmm now where on the hard drive did I put it.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:24 PM
MNModels

Hi Duke,

Thanks! Will let you know how the maiden went.

Regards

Morné