Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

hopper tank a must?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

hopper tank a must?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:37 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hopper tank a must?

Does anyone know if the Yellow Aircraft F-16C HAS TO HAVE a hopper tank? Can you not fly inverted without it?

And if you do use a hopper how do you tube it in the circuit? In other words do the fuel lines from the saddles go into the vent of the hopper then the fuel of the hopper to the needle valve?

Sorry such amateur questions!!

Smitty
Old 07-09-2002, 02:04 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, you got it.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:12 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

the hopper is not a must but really helpful on the -16. you will want to "t" the two main tanks to go into the hopper, then to the mixture control/carb. several benefits if one tank draws more than another, inverted flight, an extra couple of oz of fuel, etc. I used the little sullivan 2 oz that looks like a CA bottle and set it right next to the engine cover. use a bit of foam around it to keep it from foaming too bad.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:23 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

thanks for the quick responses!!! the reason I was wondering if I could go without it is because there really does not seem to be a good way to cram it in there!! And the fuel seems to be drawing smoothly from both tanks.... of course...... on the ground and right side up!!

while on the subject... is it ok to leave off the two ventral fins on the bottom for the first few flights? I am afraid I am going to break them off while transporting to the field.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2002, 03:11 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

just tack the ventrals on with ca. you can fly without them, but you will get a bit more of a 'wobble' in high speed flight without them. it is a forgiving airframe.

if you are using just the two yellow tanks limit your flights to 4-1/2 minutes until you see what your consumption really is. think 4 oz per minute on a 91.