Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BMT Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BMT Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 05:58 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMT Turbines

Does anyone know if BMT is or ever will send anymore turbines to the states? I have been waiting on a list for over 1 year and have heard nothing. Guess it's time for Jetcat.

Thanks
Voodoo
Old 06-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BMT Turbines

Go with Jetcat, you won't regret it!
Chris
Old 06-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: voodoodb

Does anyone know if BMT is or ever will send anymore turbines to the states? I have been waiting on a list for over 1 year and have heard nothing.
Yeah - the availability is a bit of a pain - I wanted to buy a KS120 a while back, so I called up Mickey and tried to place an order. He said that he had no engines available, had no idea at all when he might get some in, and so I should just wait before placing the order. I waited several months, called back when my buddy decided that he wanted one of these engines too, so now we wanted to buy two of 'em - Mickey once again said that he had no engines, did not know when he would get any, and also advised us that by the time any engines did get here, the price would be up at least $600 from the price that was shown on his website at the time. That combo kinda killed the deal ... if we were gonna pay Jetcat prices, we might as well have Jetcat-like local support, repair and maintenance and near instant availability of both engines and spares.

This is a real pity ... the engines seem to be great, and Andre is a genius - I have great respect for him. If not for the above, I would own at least one BMT engine by now, but I guess it was just not meant to be. I know that at least part of the "lack of availability" was caused by Andre's stock of parts disappearing during a burglary a while ago, which is something completely outwith his control.

Gordon
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Contact Andre directly. I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this post. From my understanding, Mickey is no longer a BMT distributor and may even be retired due to health related reasons. He emailed and told me this, but it was unclear if he was retiring or not ... he made it clear that he was no longer a BMT distributor.

While it's true that the BMT is not easy to get, they are obtainable. Then again, have you tried to get a P160 lately?? Good luck getting one of those. To make a LONG story short, I will simply state that for me, it was a shorter wait for the BMT than the Jetcat P160 that I had on order. The BMT is cheaper, more reliable, and more feature packed than the comparable thrust Jetcat (P160). As far as service goes, you'll have a hard time beating Andre ... I don't care where the closest service center is. Others may be as good, but none better.

If you're looking for a mid to upper 20 lb class turbine, you're right ... you can probably get a Jetcat P120 more quickly and they are well proven in the field. If you're looking for a reliable, mid 30 lb thrust turbine, hmmmm ... hard to say, but in my case I never could get a Jetcat and I did get a BMT. I guess it depends on what you want and how patient you're willing to be.

Good luck in getting whichever one you can get your hands on. There is a big market for mid 30lb thrust turbines ... hopefully a number of companies will be able to get engines available and reliable so we can take advantage of the increased thrust. Right now it's a very frustrating process for us regular Joe's to try and get one of any brand.

Jamie
Old 06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mickey can't retire, I wont let him
Old 06-12-2004, 04:41 AM
BMT

Hi Voodoo,
Currently we are shipping with 3-4 week lead time for the BMT120/160KS. Send me a PM and I will make sure you are on the list. We are improving our production setup all the time. We only build quality engines, quantity for the sake of sales is not our scene.
Cheers
Andre
MD BMT
Old 06-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Johnny Isaiah Woods
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andre,
Would you email me at [email protected]. I crashed my BMT120 and
need to know how to send back to you for repair or up grade to KS160 if
possible. It was a bad crash.

Johnny Woods
Old 06-13-2004, 08:20 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andre,

What's the status of U.S. distribution? Are you doing everything from SA now?
Old 06-14-2004, 04:04 AM
BMT

Hi Jerry,
For the time being we are distributing direct due to the small margins afforded by the weak US$. Mickey has decided to take a well deserved breather and to enjoy his jets.
Most servicing we encountered entailed crash damage and or FOD ingestion which we only do at the factory.
Johnny, sorry to hear about the crash. Will mail you with details on shipping.
Cheers
Andre
MD BMT
Old 06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I received another BMT on Friday.
Be patient. BMT doesnt mass produce, yet . Not trying to put JC out of business. Andre makes a very high quality, high thrust, Kero start engine for 3595.00.
Worth the wait.
Should be seeing many more in the states soon.
Put on a FOD screen and it wont need servicing.
I received my first BMT KS last April and have had zero problems.
It powers my BVM F100.
Scott Marr