Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glennis air brake adjust ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Glennis air brake adjust ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 05:11 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glennis air brake adjust ?

Always something. The Glennis air brake system adjust was the last thing to setup. I have a UP-5 valve. The valve is sending air to the brakes but they are not really responding to it very much. There is a small amount of brake action but far from enough. Is there some sort of adjustment to them? HELP

Mr Tom Toledo said "All aside, good luck and double check everything (the night before)!:

That is what im doing. Popped two air line connections under high pressure. Been fixed. Air system has now held 150 PSI for 24 hours. Fuel system under a slight amount of pressure has no leaks.

Edited to remove heading comment (keep it clean please ken )
Old 07-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Mach1

Default brakes

I have a UP-5 valve.

Shouldn't you be using the UP-6 valve for brakes??
Old 07-09-2002, 06:21 PM
bkf

Default Re: brakes

Originally posted by mach1
I have a UP-5 valve.

Shouldn't you be using the UP-6 valve for brakes??
I thought that to. But this is what they sent.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Mach1

UP-5 is for spring air retracts

UP-6 is the proportional brake valve
Old 07-09-2002, 06:44 PM
bkf

Brake problem solved. The rubber blatters were installed wrong.
They work sort of fine now. GEE
Old 07-09-2002, 06:45 PM
bkf

Originally posted by mach1
UP-5 is for spring air retracts

UP-6 is the proportional brake valve
Thanks Ill look into that and get the correct valve. K

You are correct sir. Wrong valve. Other systems check out 100% fine.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:20 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bkf
Brake problem solved. The rubber blatters were installed wrong.
They work sort of fine now. GEE
Cool! Keep checking everything Nose >> Tail. The retracts/brakes/struts are usually the weak points with these jets. Go over your set screws (flats filed?), check tire alignment, adequate gap between wheels and the fuselage pass through points.....

Learn where all your flight switches are so you and the test pilot don't have to think about it in an emergency or during takeoffs/landings. Close your eyes and with your hands on the transmitter learn the switches. It should feel natural after a while.

If you have not done it yet, perform the full set of range checks (ECU disconnected, ECU connected, ECU and engine running....) prior to the test fly day. You should still perform a range check on that big day and any other day you go flying but it can be abbreviated since you have set a baseline on that first (full) test.

You may want to bring a checklist with you at least for the test flight so any distractions during the preparation will allow you to get on with the pre-flight checks without missing anything important.

Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Check List

Ken:

I'll send you my Checklist via E-Mail.

Good Luck
Old 07-09-2002, 09:49 PM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

Default mis-information: sorry

Hate to break up the party, but someone didn't tell the whole (any) truth here again (in this case, 'bkf').

You cannot install the 'seals' (bladder as bkf put it) wrong. They only install one way, and it is impossible to do it the other - they will simply blow out all air (not seal). If you have reversed them, you have disabled your brake system (and voided the warranty) Unfortunately, they are tested before shipment, so this is out. He also states he has 150 pounds pressure overnight, which wouldn't work with them installed wrong - sorry just facts.

As far as the valve . . . . A UP-5 WAS NOT SENT in this order, as we only order the UP-6 valve. . . . but what if it was? Well, first of all, you would have full braking, as the valve would shove full pressure (more than the brakes need) to the brake systemm we have tested them this way. 'BKF' (or the person who ordered the system) should have contacted Glennis about the problem . . . .period. Clearly the instructions weren't read, as it would have been clear that it was not a fully proportional brake valve (ports are different)

If you don't know how to install this system, or you have trouble, CALL! There is no one on RCU that is going to be able to help you more than someone that knows the product (by the way, why didn't you call? I worked all weekend)

As far as the statement about the brake system "sucks", you better get your facts together first. There was not a statement in your post that could make sense to anyone who has used any brake system, yet alone the Glennis Brake System.

For those of you who doubt, visit 'bkf's website, it's intelligent http://home.rochester.rr.com/sar/

Dennis
Glennis Aircraft
530-742-3957
[email protected]
Old 07-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

bkf:

I've been using Glennis brakes (multiple wheel sizes) for quite a while and they have always worked fine without any repeated adjustments.

I use the UP-6 valve and I get truly proportional function.

My Kangaroo has the Glennis 3" mains and they stop, partially stop, and release on command every time with the above setup.

E-mail me if you have questions.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default Ouch!

Geeze Dennis,

Just a little harsh? I can appreciate your frustration, but c'mon. I'm in the industry myself and have read some of the most entertaining posts regarding our products. BKF was obviously having some sort of difficulty and decided to seek an answer on this forum. He felt he discovered the problem and took some action. If it was the correct action, I don't know.

Personally, I don't think the above warranted your response, in that fashion... but that's me. I agree, a call to the manufacturer would have avoided this. Unfortunately, your response came across as somewhat unprofessional. Sorry.

Craig
Old 07-09-2002, 11:42 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I see this is not going anywhere good, and the brakes are fixed SOOOOo Its locked.