Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Y/A F-18 Single or F-16C?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Y/A F-18 Single or F-16C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Stalker-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y/A F-18 Single or F-16C?

I am looking to start the long cautious (costly ) road to Turbines. I have a CBM F-16N that I am building (7 Months and Still waiting on parts!) to get used to flying a jet type ACFT, and am looking to get a Ducted fan from Y/A (because they are down the street from my office, I won't do mail order again if I can help it, refer to CBM F-16N) My problem is both look great, and I have heard good things about both. My question is which one would be better suited for a grass strip ( no paved runways around that I know of). If its the F-18 Single can gear doors be put on it? Can it be upgraded in the future to Turbine?
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:39 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Good luck on your quest to turbines!!
I have the Y/A F16, It's a great flying airplane, I love it. However I take about 400 ft of hard paved runway to get in the air. I dont think it would get off grass. We have a guy here that does have the Y/A F18 and it gets in the air much quicker that mine, 200 ft or so, but both fly well...
Anyway good luck!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 09:44 PM
HORNET1788

Default YELLOW

Go with the 18. better qualities for a first jet
Old 07-10-2002, 08:02 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with HORNET on that one. They both fly very well, but the F-18 is going to be much better for the first-timer. The high-speed performance is about the same, but the landing performance is, in my opinion, a little better on the hornet. The F-16 is grass-field capable, but you'd need short grass and a long roll. The F-18's main gear trail behind, so they'll pull through the grass better, plus the nose wheels are bigger and there are two. The price is better on the F-18, since the gear aren't as much. Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Stalker-RCU

Shaun

Can gear doors be put on F-18 Single? Can it be upgraded in the future to Turbine? Could you e-mail me a price of a complete kit with fan + engine, so I know how much money I have to hide from the little woman ?
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Stalker,

I saw one at the Whidbey Island meet last year with a RAM-1000 and bypass shoehorned into it (detuned of coarse). I think Jamie could fit 80oz or so of fuel on board. Looks like a decent alternative for an entry level jet.

Tam makes a nice looking turbine conversion kit for this model
www.tamjets.com/id50.htm

Good luck,
Kelly