Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Feltclunk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Feltclunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 12:18 PM
adryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feltclunk

Hi,

I've just used 2 liters of heater fuel (Zibro-Kamine) with 5% Exxon turbine oil in my turbine.
Today when I tried to fill the main tank, the hopper almost blew-up, because the felt-clunk (Kavan) was blocked.
I've taken it out and it has become hard.

Can't you use a felt-clunk with turbines?...I'm still a rookie, so
any help would be appreciated

What type of clunks are you using in you're main tank? just a normal brass one?

Rgds,
Adryan
Old 06-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: Feltclunk

HI
I have used the felt clunk from BVM for a couple of years , with no problems . I was using Jet-A for fuel .

Charlie
Old 06-13-2004, 01:15 PM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adryan
Felt-clunk has been popular for some time but it has one big negative effect on your fuel system. It releases fine felt threads that clogs up your filters, which has to be cleaned regularly. A much better clunk is the one Husqvarna uses for all their gas driven garden tools like weedwackers and chainsaws. It´s a little larger but is made of some kind of composite material.
My personal preference is plain brass clunks in all tanks and a BVM UAT as a header tank just prior fuelpump.

Regards
Thomas
Old 06-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Adryan

I had three of the felt clunks in my F15e after speaking with a Master Builder friend of mine he suggested I remove them. He stated that they get blocked up easier and need to be kept cleaned. He further stated because I use a BVM UAT they were pointless. He finished by saying they also break down over time.

Based on what he told me I removed all three clunks and went back to Brass clunks and all is fine thus far.

I have three extra if you need them.

Ian
Old 06-15-2004, 05:23 AM
viper1

I'm using a Feltclunk, but don't have any negative effects from felt particles coming loose.
The OS superfilter is a feltclunk, with a micro-fine carbon screen incorporated, that gives double security.
They come in 2 sizes, part nrs are (small) 72403051 and (large) 72403050

Don't know the micron of the carbon screen, but it looks finer than the inline filters in my Simjet.
I check the inline filters on regular base, but they stay absolutely clean

Just a thought...
Old 06-15-2004, 04:03 PM
adryan

Hi,

I'm still a little bit puzzled what caused the dirt on the felt-clunk.
The fuel was mixed with Mobile turbine oil (not Exxon's)
I had left the fuel in the main tank for 2 weeks, could this be the problem? the fuel deteriorating when it's in the main tank?
I just filtered the fuel from my 20 liter canister twice and found absolutely no dirt in it.
I've taken out the felt-clunk and cleaned it in thinner. The hardeness of the clunk went away, it's soft again. I could not see anything in the thinner, there was no dirt in it.

rgds,
Adryan
Old 06-16-2004, 05:58 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: adryan

Hi,

I'm still a little bit puzzled what caused the dirt on the felt-clunk.
The fuel was mixed with Mobile turbine oil (not Exxon's)
I had left the fuel in the main tank for 2 weeks, could this be the problem? the fuel deteriorating when it's in the main tank?
I just filtered the fuel from my 20 liter canister twice and found absolutely no dirt in it.
I've taken out the felt-clunk and cleaned it in thinner. The hardeness of the clunk went away, it's soft again. I could not see anything in the thinner, there was no dirt in it.

rgds,
Adryan
Adryan you sended me also a private email
il try to explain

as you know all fuels absorb water even when you get a brand new 20 liters of a-1 jetfuel after one week this has become yellow
this is the same with turbine oil , the "real jets" also have a rule if they fil their jets with turbine oil they never use what is left in the can again , this goes back to the distributor or to me ;-)
anyway as soon as you mix the oil with fuel it will start to "flock" vlokken (dutch) this means since the oil is never ment to be to be mixed with fuel in the first place
so keeping this in mind i suggest:
keep can closed as much as possible
use a filter from your fueling system to your plane
tank thru your hopper system to the main tank
in the main tank you will have a felt clucnk
also in the hopper tank from hopper to fuel pump after the fuelpump also mount a small particle filter
this is the best way to go for
i fly jets almost everyday , i use about 20 liters a week
the uat mentioned here is a totaly overprised item with just a good sales rep
for these 60usd you can have filters and hoppertanks coming out of your ears!
anyway you live about 100 km,s from me
i suggest you have a look at the webshop i have all fuelfilters you can get and will need in your life
all the stuff there we use ourself and never have a problem