Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Larry's Crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Larry's Crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 AM
AMT USA Webmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larry's Crash

Hi all,

I have a couple of things to bring to your attention. First ... we have been getting a few repairs that can be avoided. FOD damage to the compressor wheels is being caused by planes being started to close to the blast shields. Sand and other debris is being kicked up and sucked into the turbines leading to costly repairs. We are recommending NOT starting your turbines closer than 15 ft. to the blast shields and moving the blast shields to a paved surface if possable.

Second.. rumor has it that the reason Larry's Kingcat crashed because of the new ECU... Larry was going to test the ECU for us in the field but it was not in the Kingcat when it crashed. He was planing to install it after the jet fly and start testing ... unfortunately he didn't make it back in one piece.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larry's Crash

How about the addition of a FOD screen such as the "Walmart type strainers". I have the new AT-180 SP that I will be using on a grass field and I am sure that a blade of grass going into a wheel turning at 158k will cause damage as quick as sand will. Sorry to hear about the loss of such a nice KC but thanks for the info.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:22 PM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Larry's Crash

Is there any idea what caused Larry's crash ? I am of the opinion that sometimes if we know what happened, maybe everybody can learn something from it. Thanks-Mike O.