Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mystery F-18 Hornet/ trying to identify kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mystery F-18 Hornet/ trying to identify kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 02:04 PM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery F-18 Hornet/ trying to identify kit?

Hello, I recently came arcross a F18 hornet for 25.00. It has a lot of cosmetic damage and is missing a few parts, but seems to be in fair shape. Fix a few cracks and new paint job and I think it could be a nice airplane......
The problem, I have no idea which kit it is. It has full flying stabs which look like they take a yoke system to function and it will take any 5" fan but needs the intake ducting.
The wingspan is 42" and the fuse is about 55/56" I thought it may be a JD Enterprise Kit or possibly a DCU.

If anybod has a clue as to which kit this is let me know.
I need a canopy, intake ducting, and a yoke system for the stabs, and location of C.G. could also be helpful
I will try to get some pictures posted which might help sombody identify this plane.
Thanks,

Joey.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:39 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Let's see pics!!!

Joey, let's see some pics of that baby. $25.00??

See ya,
George
Old 07-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default F-18

If it has the yokes for the stabs - bellcranks which engage music wire pins near the front of the stabs with slots on the fuse sides - then its a Spirit Jets model which then became MDM (or was it the other way around?) and then got bought by DCU which got rid of the bellcranks. The guy at DCU said he only ever sold around 50 of the kits after he had it.

If it is the Spirit Jets airplane, there is no intake liner. The then SJ owner said it was really painful to make/install one and that it was of no real benefit??? You have to cut blow in doors on the side and bottom of the fuse. The wing also glues on with no real wing spars or carry through structure. DCU said they changed that too. The SJ F-18 was about the smallest of all the 5" DF F-18's out there.

My SJ F-18 flew great per plan but the really narrow gear caused much much wing rash. It was about a 110-125 MPH airplane.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:19 AM
SoppyJoe

Your right about the size, it looks like a toy . I cant imagine that intakes would not make a difference, I may try to make my own. I just gotta figure out how to make the stabs work...It looks like it would use a yoke of some kind. Im hard at stripping the old paint right now.

Thanks for the info Thud!!!

Joey.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:07 AM
Spraytec
My Feedback: (18)

Default Paint stripping

Joey-Curious what you use to strip the paint?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:54 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stripper

Hey Mike, I use urethane stripper from the can. It works great. You can actually put too much on, but just makes more work later. I have used it with much success. I know Joey has tried it before, but don't know if he's much of a fan of it.

George
Old 07-11-2002, 03:03 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default ETA

Eldon Bennet produced a gaggle of F-18's when he was running ETA models. Similar in size to the yellow single version.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:32 AM
ebd
My Feedback: (12)

Default ETA

My F-18 was larger than that. I don't think it was one of mine.
I still have the molds and think one of these new small turbines might be fun in it???
Eldon
(the E in ETA) :sunsmiley
Old 07-11-2002, 02:10 PM
SoppyJoe

Well, I tried the urethane stripper on the little F-18 last night, and it worked like magic on the clear coat and trim colors. However it would not even blister the base coat!! I think it may have been painted with some sort of epoxy based paint.
Even sanding it off is a battle!!! Whatever it is, its tuff!!!!

And George I found a cheaper fill and sand primer, Im gonna give it a try. Rodney told me its just as good as the dupont stuff and half the price!!

As soon as i get it primed I will post some pics!!
Joey