Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Cat vs AMT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Cat vs AMT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Dennis Michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Cat vs AMT

I need to make a choice on which Turbine to purchase, Can any body give me the overall advantages and disadvantages between the P-120/160 vs AT 280. Spool up time, fuel efficiency, sound, reliability and user friendliness.

Thanks, Dennis
Old 07-10-2002, 03:06 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Dennis,

Both are quality engines. Being a JetCat rep I am going to recommend the JetCat.

Advantages

Fully automated start. The JC starts and runs, startup is almost a non event anymore. The ECU electronics are fully integrated with the JC speed sensor, you have a bult in speed control that is very accurate, and very fast acting(Sensor itself is an optional part). No one else has this integrated with the ECU. The engine is reliable and JetCat USA is a pleasure to deal with. You can always get your questions answered. Lighter than the AMT. Good Rep support. High level of customer satisfaction.

Disadvantages

Spool up time is a little slower than some engines but this can be adjusted depending upon the installation. I also view this as an advantage in that this may be part of the secret to JC longevity.

AMT

Disadvantages

Air start, auto start is coming but when? Heavier, they are built like tanks, so this could also be viewed as an advantage.

Advantages

Never seem to be flying apart at events. Have a reasonable support network of reps. High level of customer satisfaction.

Either way go to the events and see the engines operating, talk to the guys that are flying the most and ask them which engine they are using.

David Reid
Old 07-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Dennis Michael

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Thanks David for the info. are there any problems with hot starts or wet starts with the JC. Have these engines had a history of coming apart. Dennis
Old 07-10-2002, 03:51 PM
tad1k-delete

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Dennis AMT the quickest throttle response of any engine,2year warranty,once again,AMTsetting the standards by which all other turbines are judged.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:52 PM
weasel33

Default AMT / JETCAT

Take a look at this
www.amtjets.com The new Pegasus HP now has 35.3 lbs of thrust
autostart comes in August,i have one and a Mercury hp, OK
they are built extremely well but they dont go wrong and backup
even from Holland is very good.

and im not a rep
check out the clinics

Brian
England
Old 07-10-2002, 03:53 PM
EddieWeeks

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

I am an AMT rep and agree with

David "Bleacher Boy" Reid %100

Eddie Weeks
Old 07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Dennis,

I believe David has summed this thread up completely. I have yet to have a Hotstart/wetstart with my JC and if you follow proper start procedure you should NEVER have one! I have not heard/seen any JC's comming apart but I am sure someone will speak up if they have.

This is a valid question, please be mature enough to keep this thread on topic. (Sorry for the rant, just can see this thread going the wrong direction in a hurry)

Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Dennis Michael

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Thanks guys for your feedback, is one engine over the other more likely to flame out and of the two which engine makes the most noise? What is the warranty of the AMT USA?
Dennis
Old 07-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Dennis,

Both are high quality engines. I doubt you could go wrong with either.. BUT, down here in SoCal, I see a LOT of people using the JetCats with great success. Flight after flight.

I personally would go with the JetCat.. but that's at least in part to the proximity of help if necessary. JetCat USA is just 2 hours from me..

I don't think you could say either engine is more likely to flame out than the other.. And noise is very depandant on the installation/aircraft.

-Doug Cronkhite
-Team JR
Old 07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Originally posted by tad1k
Dennis AMT the quickest throttle response of any engine
I thought TJT did.

David, how can I make mine spool up quicker? p80

Thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 06:21 PM
DavidR

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

John,

The settings are something that YOU can't adjust but Bob can for you. It depends on a lot of factors, but in a well desinged bypass the engine can be adjusted to spool up faster. The engine automagically controls the spool up to keep temperatures below a preset max. I believe the newest P-80's (I don't own any) already spool up faster than the older ones. Quite frankly it is only a matter of adapting your flying style to the spool up time.

Dennis,

I don't think either engine is louder than the other they all sound loud to me on the ground. Installation variables effect noise. Flameouts, the most common cause of flameouts is fuel system problems, air leaks, restricted lines etc....
Old 07-10-2002, 06:25 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jet Cat vs AMT

OK, thanks David, My P80 is only 7 months old, but its a slow spooler, like 6 sec idle to full.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:33 PM
lov2flyrc

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Originally posted by tad1k
Dennis AMT the quickest throttle response of any engine
Actualy, I think SimJet has them all beat in throttle response! less than 2 sec from Idle to Full throttle with the new D1 ECU!!
Old 07-10-2002, 07:56 PM
jason

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

AMT and jetcat are in my opinion the only two worth considering.I go for jetcat because of the electric start and getting air tanks filled causes me a problem.
close on 13 hours on the jetcat now so im a happy guy.

jason
Old 07-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Laura H

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

AMT are good...My Mercury is back at the factory and they are looking at electric start.....While this engine was back they offered to lend me an engine. I think this is very good service.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jet Cat vs AMT

I just chose a Jetcat P-120 over the AMT Pegasus. This was not due to any perceived shortcoming of the AMT and not necessarily the autostart of the Jetcat. What it really came down to is the Jetcat is a complete, ready to run, with all accessories package and roughly $500 less than the Pegasus which comes without some things you want but have to buy separately.

As others have said, they are both fine engines with good records for after-purchase service. Pricing made the difference in my case.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:31 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AMT and JetCAT

First I think it is good crowd to be associated with:-)

I believe David Reid said it very well.

I will only offer the following.

Clearly the market has demanded autostart. As you can see from many posts on this thread and elsewhere, the JetCAT autostart works very well. Others have tried to copy this design and have found it is very difficult to automatically start a small turbine reliably, with every motor operating the same virtually every time.

So when a company announces a new autostart, the buyer should beware, it is not easy. They might get one working for a show or a demo, but when it hits the real world...well...

The JetCAT has a VERY powerful and highly refined ECU, using a closed loop controller. Some other companies have non closed loop systems and they will always have a difficult time trying to emulate the JetCAT's user friendliness, starting and running. And of course the new failsafe and safety features of the 4.0 ECU are exclusive to JetCAT.

As for spool up time, I have never been that senitive to it, I guess I got used to it. I did have another brand before JetCAT.....it did indeed spool up fast...

it spooled down much faster...like 123000 to 0 in about a second.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JetCat vs. AMT

I have heard nothing but good things about both engines. I picked the JetCat because of the electric auto-start, ease of use and reliability. I simply did not want to have to deal with scuba tanks and leaf blowers. In addition I was very fortunate to have talked with some of the top jet flyers in California, non-reps, who logged hundreds and hundreds of flights on their JetCats with no problems. That "real world" user feedback really did it for me and so far I have been more than satisfied with my P-80.

Regarding the spool-up time, I just had my ECU upgraded and it is my understanding the new unit cuts one second off the spool-up. I believe the new Inconel combustion chamber cuts off another half-second.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:07 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Decided not to wade into this one.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Originally posted by TonyF
Decided not to wade into this one.

Awww... c'mon Tony - tell us watcha think !! ;-)

Dennis - I own both the P120 and the AMT 280, and one difference that I'm aware of doesn't appear to have been mentioned ... weight. The AMT weighs about 1 lb more than the Jetcat.

As for noise, I can't offer a fair comparison due to differing installations - but my open-air P120 seems quieter than my ducted AMT 280. In theory, the AMT uses less fuel than the Jetcat.

(BTW, I've had my AMT for over 2 years now, and put the first run on it last weekend.. looks like my hangar-queen Raptor may actually get an outing in the next month or so).

Gordon
Old 07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default AMT vs. JetCat

Dennis and TonyF,

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either engine, they are both superb.

Best bet is to talk to users of each, then decide which features work best for you. You will surely be happy with either one.

Gene
Old 07-11-2002, 01:39 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

I think roses are very pretty flowers.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:09 PM
DavidR

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

Tony,

Have you been painting without a respirator again????

DR
Old 07-11-2002, 05:45 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Default Jet Cat vs AMT

JetCat? AMT? Nahhhh...greasy kid's stuff!
What you need, hombre, is an XM-69 Skypipe with working afterburner.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:41 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Default Hang in there Tony!

David:

No, I don't think it's the isocyanates doing a job on Tony---it's the recent CONVERSION!!!

Some folks, like you and Vern just slide right into the new JetCat saddle, but for others----it's more like St. Paul getting blown off the horse by a lightning bolt on his way to Tarsus.

But don't worry, it's a self-limited silence, just like a bad head cold, or stomach cramps after eating a dozen jalapenos. All will be better in due time. If we all encourage him to kickback at sunset, crack a brew, and do about 10 flawless, smooth spool-ups on the 120, carefully appreciating the sweet auditory and visual nuances while it lights off, he may get better faster---and start talking again sooner than we think.

Stay cool in Ole Miss---and out in the Mojave wall-to-wall hairdryer.

Tom

Too dumb to be a rep, but still a Proud owner of JetCat P-80 GWM serial #5---and dats an old Cat.

By the way, what DID take you bright guys so long to switch???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.