Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

simjet turbines/FTE????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

simjet turbines/FTE????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simjet turbines/FTE????

Could some people please post their experiences with Simjet turbines?? and FTE?? I have had one simjet, it had a fuel pump problem and then no other apparent problems. I have had 1 old ram. I am trying to decied on a purchase and would like some input and comparisons between Simjet and FTE. PLEASE, no Ill fated product bashing, just factual, Acutal info. Also i am not interested in any other mfg. at this time. Thanks in advance. Russ

Edited for clarification
Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: simjet turbines/FTE????

I have an FTE-500 and I love it.
I got it 4 days after I ordered it and I literally went from the box to running it in about 15 minutes.

I had 45 out of 47 starts go perfectly. One failed start was an issue I had with purging the propane canister. The second was a dead glowplug.

It's currently back at FTE getting checked out after a crash I had recently.
I would buy another in a heartbeat and I am really thinking of getting the FTE-750 soon.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Stig Andersen

Hello.

I have been using SimJet turbines for the last 5 years. It's a good deal. You get a lot for your dollar. Contact Ed and Kevin at Great Northern Models, and I am sure they will make you a good deal on a SimJet.

I have a SimJet 1200 that produces 15 lbs of thrust. It's a fantastic little unit. I'm using it on a Kangaroo and plan to upgrade the unit later on, to a 1200 SP. Then it will produce almost 17 lbs. I will then use it in my Avonds F-16, that I am building next winter.

I can't really say anything about the FTE-500 turbines. But I'm sure it's a good engine, too.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Johnny Isaiah Woods
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ,
I have 2 Simjet 3000 and 2 Simjet 2300, also 2 Ram 750 and
a Ram 500. They are both good engines but from my experience,
the Simjet can take a licking and keep on ticking. The Ram 750 plus
is still running great in David's plane and you can not go wrong
either way. Keep in touch.

Johnny
Old 06-16-2004, 07:37 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Simjet 1200 AES and a T-750. Both are real powerhouses for the size and money. The 1200 is a little harder to start on propane, but always lights off and has never failed me to this point. The beneifts of the T-750 are that the ECU is programmable with the starter box, so parameters such as starting propane, glow plug voltage etc, can be adjusted at the plane. I found out how handy that could be this past weekend when the humidity was 95% and the temp was hovering around 90. I kept getting a really big blast of propane with a fireball at the end of the tailpaip when it lit off. A call to Carlos (he is on my cell phone list) corrected the propbelm in less than five minutes. I am new to turbines (a turbine virgin if you will) but I have found both of these engines to be exceptionally user friendly and you cannot beat the service from Ed and Kevin at GNM nor the guys at Tiano's. I am making these statements based on my own experiences and they are not meant to belittle any other engine manufacturers or reps, I just haven't tried them yet.
Tommy
Old 06-16-2004, 04:51 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

FTE Turbines are very good. I just installed one on my AD F-16 and all I have to say is that I am very happy no to mention the throttle response is fantastic and their customer service is just great.

Regards........... Johnny Hernandez
Old 06-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Big Tony

I have 1 simjet 3000 and one sonic 120 a wren and ram(soon to be owning either another sonic or 3000 for a bvm bobcat). The simjets are great I havn't had a single problem or flameout (I run UAT's) due to the engine or electronics (just me) the pricings good the service is great they run and run they are worth every penny.

Another happy simjet customer

all the best

Ant
Old 06-17-2004, 05:02 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running two 1200's currently and a few RAM's in the past (500, 750F, 750P). One of my 1200's is powering a BobCat XL and it flies it great. The other in a Facet HP. The 1200's have been running absolutely great and I love them. I'm thinking of upgrading one to an SP in the future.

I have zero experience w/FTE other than seeing an early FTE 500 run. I don't think it's fair to put RAM experience in place of FTE for a few different reasons. It looks like the FTE users are happy with their engines also.

George