Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Waco Weekend

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Waco Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waco Weekend

Hey Guys and girls

Anyone up for a weekend of jet, helicopter or whatever flying in Waco the weekend of June 26 & 27. Checked with Max and nothing is going on at the field that weekend. Pizza party Saturday evening, my treat.

THIS IS NOT LIMITED TO JETS. Bring your Zagi's and P B G's.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Waco Weekend

Im temporarily jetless
would love to go, but our club is having a funfly that weekend.

have a ball!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

bob-o

paul and i will be there with a few of our hornets...but i have to warn you paul can eat you out of money...believe me i know

gregg
Old 06-16-2004, 08:10 AM
bcovish

ORIGINAL: hornet driver

bob-o

...but i have to warn you paul can eat you out of money...believe me i know [X(]

gregg

Gregg, I'll get back to you on the pizza party idea.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,

I might be up for joining you all in Waco at least on Sunday.

JR Gautreaux
Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

this needs to get broken in this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86841.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	143960  
Old 06-16-2004, 01:54 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Pat,

Where is that located at?

JR
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

awsome Pat, how many feet did you guys add?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 PM
bcovish

Finished the addition of 125 feet to Austin RC Assoc. runway today.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:11 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Too cool, I'm already looking forward to hitting Austin with the Heavy Metal next year!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:04 PM
bcovish

Just talked to D & D, they are going to make to Waco.

David,
Bring on the heavy metal, we can handle it now!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
rc4mike

Dave,

If your piloting skills could keep up with our mouth, you could hit the old runnway with the Rhino w/o problems. Hell, if I can do it, I bet you could...especially w/o bleachers! Just kidding. I know you can...you are just having too much fun with that KC/p200/p160/p120 or whatever it has on it now. I have a spare P80 if you want to try!

Seriously though, that extension will be nice for those of us that couldn't hit the old runnway with a Bandit.

Later,

Mike J
Old 06-16-2004, 10:54 PM
rc4mike

Oh, BTW, should be there either Sat or sunday.

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 11:03 PM
DavidR

Mike,

A Bandit on the old runway was easy! I am sure I would have no problems with the Rhino and the old runway, I just like that extra margin with any of my scale stuff.

DR
Old 06-17-2004, 09:25 PM
rc4mike

Dave,
Not for me. I am having a hell of a time with the bandit on shorter runways while the F4 is relatively easy to hit a smaller runway. Not sure why. Maybe the F4 is just a hell of a plane! I look forward to chasing you around the skys of Austin next year. Maybe Vernon will have his ready by then.

later,

Mike
Old 06-17-2004, 10:48 PM
patf

it is because you do not flare to land your F-4!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:47 AM
hornet driver

mike

>>>> I am having a hell of a time with the bandit on shorter runways while the F4 is relatively easy to hit a smaller runway. Not sure why>>>>>

a bandit ....roo...or hotspot glide much better than a f-4 or f-18.....with your f-4 or our f-18 you HAVE to fly it down to the ground with power and manage your decent with the throttal ...at a few feet off the runway at the #1 wire you just level her out and slowly pull off the remaining power and flare her just before the wheels touch....nuff said

now the bandit...roo ...or hotspot is a guesing game in the 3rd demention because they glide so well ( thus harder to land than an f-18 or f-4)...with these glider type of planes you have to guess your speed way outside of exact visual perception...in other words cut the power....errrr somewhere out there ...which btw changes with headwinds..now what exactly does "cut the power " mean...chop it all together or chop it and see her decending then feeding some back in to get her on your desired glide slope..that being said if you dont manage her properly on final its very to possible to have a 20 mph higher speed than you thought......here is where some pilots panic and put her down anyway .....while still at flying speed.....thus the famous kangaroo hop....where the bird is not ready to stop flying yet but is being forced to land..........if the bird is not "set down " gently and is droped from 12 inches she will leap back up into the air ....and then the pilot says **** and rams the elevator home as if to say "i said land " where as the bird`s response is fu$k you charlie and she leaps again inot the air....all this is happening and in the back of your mind you know your running out of real estate...so once more you ram the elevator before you run off into the grass and rip out the gear...this continues until she is out of flying speed....so goes the kangroo hop

now the bandit isnt a hopper like the roo ( while they still can as any plane) ...the bandit ( if you miss the glide speed on final to much to the high side ) is a wing walker...but it is not iniated the wing tips..it starts at the elevator while flaring in an attempt to slow it down....the elevator "catches a tip" ( they are really slung aft on this plane ) which in turn pulls the whole side down to the runway until the wingtip hits......instinctive stick correction and "wing tip bounce" added together means she will walk over to the other wingtip and so on and so on until she is out of flying speed

now the pisser to get some guys mifted....maybe.....all this is exacerbated by throttal lag...the slower your throttal lag is ...the worse it can get....at least until you get the lag time management down.....

quite frankly these are jets and stay aloft with power and quickly decend without it ( unless you have a semi glider like a roo, hotspot or bandit ).... so in thrust we trust to fly and to land you just remove the thrust and the plane becomes a brick...the key is to remove the thrust a foot off the runway
Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Mr. Hornet,

Sent you a PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:15 AM
DavidR

Gregg I hate to disagree, I took a lot of Vernon's Spot landing money with my Bandit! Put the speed break down and fly it to the runway just like an F-4. It just takes practice! The secret is getting the airplane slowed down enough in the pattern where you are applying power to bring it in. Attitude controls airspeed, throttle controls altitude.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:35 AM
hornet driver

david

>>>>Put the speed break down and fly it to the runway just like an F-4. It just takes practice!>>>

yea your right but another thing to think about.....all planes arent equal.....meaning for example on one of our hornets there where 2721s on the flaps......and the plane has large flaps....when deployed at say 80 mph they where not 100% down but trying to..... thus when the plane slowed down enough for them to deploy it would REALLY SLOW DOWN FAST thus causing paul to make some throttal changes....since the make over we put in 8611s....now at 80 mph she slows as commanded which eliminates said throttal adjustments and it lands easier than before.......btw when paul flew our hotspot he deployed the speed brake on the downwind ......on final i asked where is the speed brake....he said its up..i said no its not....he lamded it hot as a mother and upon roll out ....it finally beat the wind and deployed.......thus exit one chicken shi$ servo and enter a 8411...now when he says stop it stops.....point im making is some might watch you land and say im going to do the same thing .....problem is they are under powered with their speed brake servo which increases all the problems for them......and dont forget the geometry...the same servo with poor geometry is like having half the servo power

ttyl
gregg
Old 06-18-2004, 10:24 PM
rc4mike

Hey Pat...I flare the F4! Just not all the time. However, I do know how to avoid the pilot safety fence...do you? Man I hated to see that thing hit it. Is it fixed yet? only a few weeks until Odesa, so get to work.

Seriously though, Gregg, the F4 is great cause if I come in hot and slam it down, it rarely will bounce. If it does, it sticks after the first bouce with NO damage. If I do that with the Bandit, the plates are toast. I have found that if I bring the bandit in with power on, I can land it pretty well. Problem is when you are flying on 425 to 600 ft. runnways. Hard to chop the power when 1 ft. off the deck and not run out of space. I'll have a chance to practice more in Addesa in a few weeks.

Mike
Old 06-18-2004, 11:05 PM
bcovish

Will be in Waco Saturday morning.

Easy Mike, Pat is still having flashbacks []

Mike, just watched last years Dallas event video, talk about hitting a fence [X(]. Ouch
Old 06-18-2004, 11:39 PM
patf

hey

kulczyk has evidence that it was indeed a scale crash. have not touched it yet. facet-ing things for a bit. blowing off odessa and shreveport. too much goin on in my own house right now.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:16 PM
rc4mike

Yes, Bob, I too have had my share of run ins with fences. That's why I can mess with Pat.

Mike
Old 06-20-2004, 12:03 AM
DavidR

I can honestly say I have hit everything BUT a fence!

Gregg,

You might want to rethink using digital servos on the big barn door surfaces like flaps, and speed brakes. They'll suck a battery pack into oblivion very quickly while they try very hard to keep the surface exactly where you want it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.