Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Starfire II flight off grass.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Starfire II flight off grass.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 04:00 PM
BJ CROW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Starfire II flight off grass.

I flew my first jet today and brought her back in one piece!!
This is the Starfire I was having radio problems with and I'm still uncomfortable with the current range, but anyway----
All we have is a grass field that is definitely not smooth, so there were alot of concerns about the first flight. Here's the lowdown.
Starfire II with OS .91/dynamax/JMP II muffler and JR 8103 radio. The recommended 2 1/4 wheels were increased to 2 1/2". HD spring air landing gear/retracts. Landing flaps at around 25%.
She took off from grass no problem although it was a bumpy ride. I found it's better to not use flaps for the take off. Flew fine with 50% expo. but airlerons should be kept on low rate deflection(very sensitive). She has a nice, gentle stall but, not being used to the higher wing loading, I had trouble slowing her down on final, even with flaps. Landing was definitely bumpy and takes its toll on the landing gear. I'm not sure how long it will last.
Overall good first experience with jets and for anyone concerned about take offs from a grass runway --- Not a problem!

Thanks Shaun for your help. Having someone a beginner can talk to for help, makes a big difference.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:12 PM
vfr_rider2000
My Feedback: (1)

BJ Crow, Glad to hear about someone else flying one. I in the final stages of completion with mine.

I also agree Shaun has been a great help in helping me build mine. He was even willing to take photo's of his and send them to me so that I can get a visual as well as words as to what we where talking about.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:13 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Congratulations!
I wish you many more happy flights. I had fun with my starfire before it caught fire and IMOH, it a nice entry-level airplane.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:50 PM
BJ CROW

vfr-rider2000,
One of the main challanges I found in building this kit was setting up the pull pull for steering the nose wheel. How did you set yours up?
After that first flight, I've got her in my hobby room ready to prime and paint "missle red".
Bryan
Old 07-10-2002, 10:14 PM
vfr_rider2000

Default Steering

I set mine up with 2 micro servo's in a tray that sits thwartship just behind nose gear hole. click Here to see what I used. Viper Red, Midnight Black and White. The scheme is similar to what my ill fated Motorcycle looked like.

I should have all surfaces glued in by Friday and with any luck should be able to fire up the engine this weekend.

Mikee
Old 07-11-2002, 04:26 AM
RyanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the starfire fast with the .91. I am looking to get into a jet, but don't want the cost of a turbine.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2002, 04:30 AM
vfr_rider2000

Default Speed

Ryan,

you can figure that the Starfire is 150mph+ aircraft. I have heard of some that are near 200 but personally have not seen any.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,

One of my Starfires (DF) clocked at 187. This particular one was heavy, with a doubled-up fuel system and the whole compliment of smoke gear. I believe the fastest fan-powered Starfire was 211.

As big as those inlets are, the airplane is extremely clean. Good plane. Ours is really inexpensive for what you get, too.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:17 PM
BJ CROW

Mike,
Your Starfire looks great. I just put primer on mine today. What paint did you use??
I used auto glazing putty on the wing and stab joints as a filler before priming. It dries fast and sands easily, but not sure if I should make the purchase of a new air gun or just go with spray cans.
Some hints before your first flight -
Make sure the OS .91 mixture screw is adjusted properly. Alot of OS engines leave the factory with the screw set way to rich. Mine sure was!
Also, the pull-pull steering tended to bind from retracted to extended landing gear and the nose wheel would not lock fully into place. You may want to check that out.

Good luck,
Bryan
Old 07-11-2002, 02:44 PM
vfr_rider2000

Paint.

I used PPG there Concept DCC formula. The nice thing about this is it doesn't require clearcoat and it's slightly cheaper than some of the other PPG paints. This paint is what they use on a Hydro that they run here in Seattle so I figured that it would be good for my plane.

I'm going to use a remote needle valve on mine so I have already pulled the mixture screw out.

I do plan on doing a lot of testing with the retracts long before I fly especially since I have brakes installed also.

Any hints on assembling the canopy?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think he refers to the low speed mixture, not the high spped needle. Right?
Old 07-11-2002, 04:08 PM
BJ CROW

Edgar,
RIGHT!
Bryan

Mike,
For the actual canopy, I used RIT die at 150 degrees F to tint it(used the black RIT). Glued cockpit floor on with silicone and used a spring(not rubber band) to hold canopy down. This lasted only one flight. On flight number 2, the canopy flew off and scared me to death!! Wind had stretched the spring to 4 times its original length. I found out Shaun has used a retaining dowel and aft screw to hold his on. I may try 2 springs instead of one next time.
Bryan
Old 07-12-2002, 02:42 AM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

HEY BRYAN , HAD MY CANOPY COME OFF DURRING THE FRIST FLIGHT ALSO. ON THE FIRST HIGH SPEED PASS TOO!! TALKING ABOUT CLEANING ONES SHORTS OUT, THERE WAS A GUY VIDEO TAPING IT WHEN IT HAPPENED AND IT WAS SO LOUD IT SCARED HIM TOO. I HAD A TOUNGE IN FRONTAND A BVM LATCH IN REAR, THE LATCH PIN WASN'T PROTRUDING FAR ENOUGH INTO THE CANOPY. EASY FIX, JUST PULL IT OUT MORE, PROBALLY 200+ FLIGHT TO DATE AND STILL GOING STRONG. MAYBE A TURBINE ONE DAY, NAW ITS PLENTY FAST ENOUGH , I'LL KEEP THE MERC IN THE 339 FOR NOW. SCOTT