Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Rich Fong will be missed!! >

Rich Fong will be missed!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rich Fong will be missed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Rich Fong will be missed!!

I'm both saddened and relieved by this news. Saddened because we have lost a good friend, but relieved because when I last saw Rich in St. George, I saw and heard the pain he was in so at least that is over for him now. Rich was a master craftsman, great modeler, and overall gentleman at the field. The jet community is lesser today with his passing. He will be missed.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:41 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich was a great craftsman, pilot and most of all a great person that will be deeply missed. He was quick on the draw, so sixshooter, may you have many great flights at your new perfect field.

Dave Shulman
Old 06-23-2004, 09:27 AM

He was quick on the draw ...
Dave Shulman got it right - oh yeah, Rich wasn't given the call sign of SixShooter for nothing. His contributions here on RCU/Jets could instantly separate the pepper from the fly crap; I just loved to lay back and wait for him to weigh in on some of the more hypergolic topics.

A total class act; and a fount of knowledge on a variety of topics too - not just modeling. Over the years, Rich and I spoke many times using the Internet - thanks to his IT knowledge- as our long distance provider!! I knew things were going downhill for him over the past several months but how lucky he was to have great friends like Dan and Skeet who loved him so much and took care of him until the end.

Rich: Semper Gumby my friend.

Mike
Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (35)

RICH WAS A CLASS ACT, WE TRAVELED WITH RICH TO THE FIRST 2 WORLD JET MASTERS AND REALLY ENJOYED HIM ENTHUSIASM.

ROGER
Old 06-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

This is the second unexpected piece of news we received in the last few days. First Ivan and now Rich. It is a most unfortunate loss to the whole jet community.

Unfortunately, I did not meet any of these stalwarts but I had crossed a few emails with both of them and they both were very helpful.

There is very little we can do at this stage but remember them in our thoughts and prayers.

May they be in a better place than us.

My condolences to the families and friends and to jet community with whom they shared their special moments.

Regards

Reuben
Reuben
Old 06-23-2004, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many fond memories of comparing notes about, and flying, Avonds F-15s and Usher F-106s with Rich will always be with me. Much has been written here about Rich, all true.....a great humorist, modeler, thought provoker, but most of all, a great friend. With Christ as his Saviour, we know where the Fongster is and where we can expect to meet up with him.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM

Rich,

Thanks for letting me drool over your birds over the years. You were a nice guy. God bless.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (9)

As many have eloquently expressed before me on this thread, Rich was a true gentleman and a great modeler. He was my inspiration into the turbine jet scene seven years ago with his F-106. I first met Rich as an R/C Newbie @ The Woodland/Davis jet rally and when I last saw him recently at The Dixie jet rally in St. George I was a R/C Jet Rep. The true measure of a man is how he inspires others to reach their goals. Thanks Rich! Farewell & God Bless.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:41 PM

Rich,

Thank you for all you gave this hobby and the wonderful fellowship you had for us all. Until we meet again we will hold you in our hearts,

Dave & Cara Fusinato

PS -- Dan and Skeet -- you two are such angels and examples of the kind of people we all should aspire to be.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have enjoyed visiting with and flying with Rich at Superman and Florida Jets for quite a few years. He was a fantastic pilot and a true gentleman.
Good by Rich.
Bob Price
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I forgot to mention his fantastic building abilities which I appreciate as I love scale also.
Bob Price
Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Rich was a quick wit and a ton of fun. Good luck Rich, I know you will be watching all of us..Ray
Old 06-24-2004, 12:20 AM
My Feedback: (44)

God bless you Rich, you were always a nice guy with a smile on your face.......
Old 06-24-2004, 04:00 AM

Rich, I always be impressed by your plane and flying. Your pictures and humor were very freindly to me as jet boy.
God bless you Rich and wish you always be happy flying models in heaven.

Jai Young Shim
Old 06-24-2004, 04:09 PM

I had a chance meeting Rich once at FJ. Nice guy. Always looking forward to see his website for new articles. And now he is in jet heaven. May the good heavenly FATHER bless you my friend.

Eddie Lozano
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to thank all for the nice comments. Loosing my best friend can be hard. When I met him many years ago I thought who is this jerk that doesnt know how to build. His rudder almost blew off his BVM saber. Rich just glue it and flew it. He had over 400 flights before it died. Just after he built his first presto covered P80. I picked up a P80 kit and we would talk for hours on the phone. We have had alot of GREAT road trips going to jet flys. Good memorys. It was aways fun to take pictures of the other one having to fix their plane. We would give each other a hard time. He taught me alot. Im having a hard time writing this. Im going to try to attach 2 pictures of Rich. Thanks And GOD BLESS TO ALL OF YOU Dan Avilla
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10678.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	147013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59749.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	147014  
Old 06-24-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our heart goes out to ya Dan. Rich was a great friend I'm sure.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:23 PM

I sit here in shock with a true sense of loss. I had no idea Rich was sick. In fact just the other day I was thinking that it would be nice if Rich and some of the old crew would post more often on RCU.

Although I never met Rich in person, we corresponded frequently in email, via Bob's jet list and on RCU. I really enjoyed his sharp wit and his uncanny ability to cut through the crap. You didn't ever make an unfounded statement in the "Fongster's" presence because he would take it apart 10 different ways.

Rich was a way more experienced model than I and was hugely helpful in my various projects. My computer library is full of photos that Rich either sent me or I downloaded from his web site to guide me in my projects.

I will miss him too.

Antony
Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
My Feedback: (14)

God bless you Rich and all that you contributed here on earth , i know that some day we will meet again after all, we are only passing through , missed you already . Ed Pinzon
Old 06-24-2004, 10:41 PM

I knew Rich when we both worked at Nortel Networks in the early 1990s. I got a real kick tryng to get the company to give him a free trip to his first World Jet Rally in England with Bob Violett(...over 10 years ago). I was in sales then and Rich was in engineering. Rich left for Pacbell and I moved on too but we both talked alot about life and jets. I always loved catching up with Rich at Superman since those days. Rich has that calmness about him..a sense of enjoying people and life.

I always admired Rich for his enjoyment. In this hobby that at times so cliquish and emotional, Rich seemed to transform the groups by focusing on the basics...great craftmanship, fun and enjoying people.

The true testament of all of us is how we are remembered by. Rich had all the values I continue to aspire to.

Rich...Happy Landings up there...

Your friend, Dave
Old 06-25-2004, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Gentlemen/Ladies,

A viewing is scheduled at 12 to 5pm Monday(June 28th). Funeral services at 10am, Tuesday(June 29th). Both will take place at the Waltons Chapel of the Valley, 1281 North Roop St., Carson City, NV. Phone: 775 882 4965

Skeet
Old 06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Dan and Skeet:

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but the kindness you two have shown Rich in his final months, starting earlier this year, as you related while we were at Tucson, deserves the highest praise.....all three of you are a cut off the same cloth......closer than brothers, it seems.....

I still giggle at the last time I chatted with Rich at SM last year with you two guys back at the motel.....his sense of humor was never unkind, just nice and crisp......Paraphrasing......Rich noted that I often spout allot of BS on RCU, but at least I come to JetMeets to fly, ready to bend over and take the big one, if my BS is rightfully challenged by someone smarter than me......which is most everyone....

I will never wire wrap a fuel or air-line connection without thinking of Rich......Surviving the Crash Devil is in the details....and he knew the details......R.I.P......

Tom
Old 06-26-2004, 09:09 AM

Thanks for everything!
Darryl Usher
Old 06-26-2004, 09:27 AM

I never had the privilege of meeting with Rich Fong, but I like many noted his many valuable contributions to this hobby of ours.

So many genuine comments have been made, maybe as a good commerative gesture someone could set up an award for the big events called the Rich Fong Contribution or something similar, where good works can be recognised and allow his memory to be recalled.

God Bless you Rich, and to your friends, whose comradeship I would have.

Gazzer
Old 06-26-2004, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (38)

So sorry to hear , I always enjoyed being around him . He was a master builder and pilot.

God Bless
Charlie Hissom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.