Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Patriot repair?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Patriot repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot repair?

I just got a used Patriot ARF and both sides of the Horiz. stab. are broken right where they meet the fuse. What would you all (y'all) use for repairs. drill dowels for carb fiber rods (very small)?, plywood brace across? (looks ) etc..

Thanks!
james
Old 07-11-2002, 08:58 PM
rolln_thndr
My Feedback: (1)

Default Do it right...

It will take longer to do it twice if you don't do it right the first time. ;-)

Peal the covering off around where the stab is and remove the broken piece inside. If you damage the fuse sides (i.e. the slot the stab slides into gets distorted), so what, with the covering off its easy to piece in a few scraps and sand it smooth. Make a new stab (like the orginal, all one piece) and slide it in. The slot you make for the stab to slide into may be oversized, as the orginal was put in place before the vertical fin was added. Fill in the gaps and sand it down. If your worried about strength, use some very light cloth to reinforce it.

If you get the stab in the same place as the original, the pushrods for the elevators should be resuable as well. They are kind of a pain to play with as all the elevator and rudder linkages are barried in the fuse.

If you do a make shift job (like the pluggin idea you suggested), you will more than likely be adding weight and a lot of extra work. Just keep it simple and as close to the original as possible and you shouldn't have a problem...
Old 07-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Razor-RCU

Default ?

I just got the plane and to my surprise the tail halves were both broken. They are sheared right at the fuse, in other words the middle (on top of the fuse under the rudder..) is solid from the orig. piece. I would be trying to remove all the wood below and under the vert stab. It would actually be easier to insert a dowel or carbon fiber but I also considered glassing it in.

If anyone has the manual I would pay for a copy... Definitely need the CG

james
Old 07-11-2002, 10:14 PM
rolln_thndr

Default My goof

I forgot the vertical fin sits on top of the stab as well as the 2 carved blocks on either side of it. Been a long day and it's been a while since I built mine (3+ yrs ago and I don't have it any longer).

I'll see if I have the manual around somewhere and will get you the C of G. Depending on how many pages it is I may be able to scan it for you or at least the section on the tail. I know that I have contacted Great Planes in the past and they have sent me plans free of charge, it may be worth looking into, maybe they have a manual lying around collecting dust. ;-) I realize that this kit has been discontinued but you never know...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:22 AM
DP01

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Patriot repair?

The kit version CG range on the plan is 8-1/8" to 8-5/8" from the wing LE on the centre line if that helps…

Dennis
Old 07-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Razor-RCU

Default Thanks!

Thanks, I am assuming the ARF is similar? ANyone have the ARF??

Later,
james
Old 07-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Razor-RCU

Default Here it is!

I removed the plastic cover to expose the broken area...

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17471_6032.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	11197  
Old 07-15-2002, 04:52 PM
Marty O

Default Patriot repair?

Razor- I saw your post and ran into my hobby room as I thought that I had a spare Horiz. stab from my ARF Patriot kit, but it turned out to be a vert. stab. Sorry.
I think I would put a carbon fiber rod in to repair it. The additional weight should not be a problem if like mine it needed additional weight in the tail. Take your time and do it right and you should be rewarded with a fun plane.

Marty O
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Razor-RCU

Default Thanks Marty!

I appreciate your effort! I installed the CF rod, and will probably glass the under-side of the Horiz. stab. (then glue that plastic cover back on over it..)

Later,
james