Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

jet chargers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

jet chargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 02:26 AM
paperairplanes
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet chargers

which chargers are everyone using for TX RX and ECU batteries? I dont have my radio yet, but am planning on JR. Is there a charger that will charge all 3 of these batteries simultaneously? What would be the standard charge time for a good charger. Im mostly talking about a charger for the field. Do you use a different charger for when at home? Money is no object with the charger, since I think that this is one of the most important parts of my aircraft and dont want the batteries to drop on me!!!!! While on the subject, what kind of batteries are you using... NICD or NIMH? thanks again!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 06:33 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default jet chargers

The Litco Alpha Four is the way to go. Will charge practically any battery any way you can think of and will charge four packs at a time. I have one I keep in the basement and one I carry with me when I go flying.

Only problem is the high demand for this charger. They only take orders twice a year and you had better be placing your order within the first few minutes that ordering is open! The next time they will be taking orders is in early October with delivery beginning in April of next year.

They are not easy to get but seem to be the best around.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default You wanted the Best---

For your field chargers buy two or three of the Orbit MICROLADER V6.0 Web site is:

http://www.orbitronic.de/e_orbit.html

don't mess around just
order them direct they will send them to your door step within 3 - 4 days.

As for the Basement charger there is no better charger than Dr. Robert Suding's Ultimate Charger II you only need one for every 8 batteries (any size or mA) you want to maintain indefinitely. You just plug-em in and forget-em till the next time you want to fly ----- 3months 6months a year it doesn't make any difference!!! Go take a look at his Web site :

http://www.ultimatecharger.com/index.html

You can also buy a second Ultimate charger for overnight travel / field charging. I have a plug into my truck unit and charge while I'm traveling to a Rally and overnight during the Rally's ---
Lee -------------
Old 07-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The Best Charger

Silver182,

I have to disagree with you that either of the ones you mention are the best. The fact that you can order them today and have them delivered fairly soon says nothing about whether the charger is the best.

Now an admission. I have no other knowledge of the two chargers you mentioned other than what I can read on the two web links you provided. So, if I have misinterpreted any of the data on your two recommendations please set me straight

Lets start with the Microlader as a field charger. You would need 4 of them to do what one Alpha four can do as a field fast charger. Where does one plug four Microladers in at the flying field? Now, just a guesstimate of the dollar versus the Euro at todays exchange rate tells me that each one of these Microladers is somewhere in the $170 range. It also appears to be only usable from a 12 volt power source which makes them pretty useless for charging in the workshop but I guess you could add to the price by purchasing some kind of additional household to 12 volt transformer to make them work from household current.

Now, for the Ultimate Charger II. Charging eight batteries sounds great. But when you read the specs, it has eight "channels", none of which are fully functional channels. They appear to do only one thing per channel. In fact, here is the listed functions from the website:

The list of functions for each channel is:

FLOAT - No charge, just monitor the voltage self discharging.
CHARGE - C/10 charge rate for 16 hours, automatically reducing to TRICKLE
RAPID CHARGE - C/7.5 charge rate for 12 hours, "
QUICK Charge - C/5 charge rate for 8 hours, "
CYCLE Discharge @ 160 ma or 320 Ma, charge 16 hrs, discharge, charge....
SINGLE CYCLE - Discharge, charge for 16 hours, reducing to trickle
SINGLE CYCLE RAPID CHARGE - Discharge, rapid charge 12 hrs, trickle
SINGLE CYCLE QUICK CHARGE - Discharge, quick charge 8 hrs, trickle
What would one do if they want to C10 charge, say 4 different packs at once? Ultimate Charger II only has one "channel" for that function. You can't fast charge with this one at all. From what I can read about it on the website, it seems to have as many or more limitations as it has advantages. I could not find a price for the Ultimate Charger II on the website.

Now, for the Alpha 4:

Lets start with a listing of its main functions:

1. Indefinite C/10 Charger, Trickle.
2. Advanced Peak Charger, Trickle.
3. Fast Charger, Trickle.
4. Wet and Gel Charger, Float.
5. Rapid Cycler, Fast Charger, Trickle.
6. Super Fast Cycler, Peak, Trickle.
7. Voltmeter No Load/Load, Cell Test.
8. Trickle Only.
9. Cycler, C/10, Trickle.
10. Normal C/10 Charger

Any one of these functions or any combination of functions can be programmed to any or all of the output ports as the user desires. The unit comes with a household to 12 volt transformer and a cord for charging through a cigarette lighter outlet.

There is much too much more to say about the Alpha 4 so I have included a direct link to its specs as follows:

http://home.att.net/~LitcoSys/al4.htm

Paperairplanes, you did ask for the best and not just the easiest one to get. Consider all of the ones that have been mentioned so far and then you can decide which of these is really the best.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:23 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default jet chargers

I have to disagree about the Litco as well. It is a great charger but you have a max 1 amp charge rate and that is divided between each of the four ports that is PROGRAMMED. It sucks as a field charger as it takes to long. I have been very happy with the Graupner MC Ultra Duo II charger. It only does one pack at a time but it automatically selects the right charge rate for you by actually measuring pack voltage. You can also set it for fixed rate charges, it will cycle packs as well.

Besides all that try and order a Litco charger, the guy is a one man operation and you can't just place an order for one. You have to send him an email at one of about 4 times a year. What kind of a way to do buisness is that? Great charger but if it had a full 5 amp current available at each port regardless of how many ports you had programmed then it would be a great charger. FWIW I sold both of mine and now use 2 Graupners.

David Reid
Old 07-15-2002, 12:46 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default jet chargers

Im using a Tekin BC112c
Old 07-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FMA Supernova Field Chargers

I am currently using two of the FMA Supernova field chargers and they work very well. They seem to have similar features to that of the Graupner but cost quite a bit less I think. I looked at the Graupners as well and decided to go with the FMA's. I just could not find any additional features that justified spending the extra money although I do know the Graupners are very high quality chargers. If I remember correctly the Graupner had an additional output but it is a fixed rate output which is not really any advantage for field charging packs at higher rates. Maybe someone who has experience with both can say whether or not there are any other major differences. I paid $120.00 each for the FMA's if I remember correctly.
They are fully programmable for faster charging or have auto charge with the push of one button. Also includes programmable presets for up to 10 packs which allows you to set all parameters for a specific pack and then just choose the preset you want to use. Digital readout includes current and voltage readings while charging and gives all data after charging is complete as well so that you can monitor the condition of the packs. They will charge up to 4 or 5 amps I think and they will discharge packs for cycling.
I have been very happy with mine. Gary
Old 07-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default jet chargers

At the field, I currently use the Graupner MC Duo for charging my ECU pack, and and old Hitec peak-detect charger (I forget the model) for RX batteries. I have heard that the Schultze is a better charger than the Graupner, but so far I'm happy with what I have.

At home, I charge everything (ECU, RX, fuel pump, etc., etc) with my multi-port Mainlink charger. This charger could be used at the field too (since I have a 12V input on them as well as mains), but it charges slower than the Graupner. For anyone interested in the Mainlink chargers or cycler, see http://www.mainlink.demon.co.uk/ although the charger comes form the UK, you can also get it set for US mains voltage if you wish.

I also looked at the Alpha, but decided against it because (a) I refuse to play his silly games for ordering one, and (b) the 1 amp max TOTAL output (across all 4 ports combined) is too much of a limit.

Gordon
Old 07-15-2002, 01:25 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default mine

1.) Orbit Microladder. Awesome piece of gear, I use it at the field for ECU battery fast charge, and at home with a power supply for general use (it will charge anything, nicad, lead acid, NIMH, litiom ion, tadiran)

2.) Sirius Limited edition. Charges 2 RX batteries, 2 amp output on each port fast charge at field.

I also have an alpha 4 for use at home, it is almost useless on a multi battery plane as a field charger IMHO, although I have seen some do it. I have 2 I should sell one.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:39 PM
DavidR

Default jet chargers

Gordon,

I thought I heard one time that Schultze was making the chargers for Graupner. Does anyone have a website for the Schultze chargers?

DR
Old 07-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Pete S-RCU

Default jet chargers

What about the Sirius chargers?
I've been reading their claims, conditions the battery, erases memory, delta peak detection, extends battery life, are these claims true?
Red, care to comment on this?
Old 07-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Default Chargers

2 Ultraduos is the way to go. You actually can charge 2 batteries on each charger at the same time, although you are limited to just over 300 ma on the auxilliary output, but this is fine for topping 4-cell receiver packs between flights.

I think Schultze makes the Graupner. Their chargers sure look like the Graupners---who then probably private brand them.

Sirius is a great charger if all you want is field charge capability--fast--2 at a time, but no readout to check anything, and no discharge capability, all for the price of the ultraduo.

Dave, R-C Direct handles the Schultze and has info on their web site:

www.rc-direct.com

Have a good one you guys

Tom
Old 07-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default jet chargers

Originally posted by DavidR
Gordon,

I thought I heard one time that Schultze was making the chargers for Graupner. Does anyone have a website for the Schultze chargers?
I don't have a website for them - but I know that John Redman is a rep for Schultze (and possibly also Chris Huhn ?).

You can Find John here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/member.php...fo&userid=1262
and Chris here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/member.php...fo&userid=3189

Regs,
Gordon
Old 07-15-2002, 02:00 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default jet chargers

I also use the FMA Supernova. This is a very good charger that will charge just about any type of battery including lead acid.....
Old 07-15-2002, 02:03 PM
DavidR

Default jet chargers

Actually did a search and found them

http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/index_uk.htm

I can't tell from the way they present it if the second one is just fancier, larger packaging or if it is a more advanced charger (don't have time to really dig into it right now) but from what I could tell from breifly scanning it they appear to be identical to the Graupner.

DR
Old 07-15-2002, 02:42 PM
tad1k-delete

Default jet chargers

Paperairplanes Golden West Models have in stock
Old 07-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Chris Huhn

Default Schulze chargers

Litco- you just can't call the 4 ports on this charger usable on a practical level for the capacities we have in jets. Im not sure how this charger got its greatest ever title from some people.

Schulze does make the Graupner Duo charger, although it does not have some of the latest enhancements. There are a few programs in the Schulze for the newer battery types, but more significantly, they have changed the second output to be able to handle between 4 and 6 cells (although still fixed current). On the Graupner, this is a fixed 330mah for 4 cells.

The readout gives a little more information as well without going through a button push like on th Graupner, but nothing too different here.

I did this charger eval recently myself when the display went bad on my 7+ year old Graupner Duo. I used this charger for all my jets exclusively during this time period. All the charging was in the full automatic mode. Of course it has several cycling programs which are critical for evaluating the health of your nicads.

I was unable to find better better technology than the Graupner with the exception of bypassing them and going stright to the OEM for the latest and greatest. I looked at all of the chargers mentioned so far on this thread including the car battery chargers which are lower priced, but seemed to be geared toward higher, constant current charges and peak detection so that you can get the last mah possible out of a pack.

My conclusion is that these Schulze guys know how to fast charge batteries in the most effcient way possible without overheating and damaging them. Variable input current that I don't have to set is what its all about.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:16 PM
paperairplanes

Default decisions, decisions, decisions

there sure are a few chargers out there huh.... guess I need to start doing some homework
Old 07-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Default Schultze Chargers

John Redman or Chris Huhn:

Have either of you guys put in the RS-232 interface mod on a Schultze. That's is one nice feature of the Orbit Microlader that I guess comes as standard. That's the only feature I miss on my ultra duo.

Tom
Old 07-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Chris Huhn

Default RS 232

Tom,
Yes, I have two of the Schulzes- one with, one without the port. I think it adds 25-$30 to the cost of the unit. I graphed one of my new packs. It will be interesting to see what happens over time.

Chris
Old 07-15-2002, 05:14 PM
EddieWeeks

Default Right Questions

No body is asking the right question.

How much power do you use per flight ?
How long are you willing to wait for charging ?

The answer is.... for the Biggest turbine around
AMT Olympus, its around 300 mah per flight.

For the receiver it far less per 8 min flight.

I think (correct me) the smaller Jet Cats are about the same
because of the electric start and cooling.

So you fly twice, 600 mah for ECU pack and (just a guess)
200 mah for the two receiver packs.

When do you want to fly again ?

I think it should not take longer than 10-20 min to charge up.
There is nothing wrong with waiting one hour.

Once you answer these questions then you mush
what type cells you plan on using.

There is a big difference between 600 ma AA
and 1700 SCRs.

For the money its hard to beat the SuperTurbo ($110 does a lot)
and the Supernova ($130)

Most all fast chargers work the same. They charge until
the voltage in the pack starts to drop by 3-5mv/cell
then they stop charging.
It does not matter if you charger cost $300 or $60, if
its a peek charger, that is what it does. Many have
automatic modes where they measure the Internal resistance
of the battery and change the current accordingly.

To say this battery charger is better than that one is just
not right. The only way its not right is if does not do
what you want it to do.

Below is a pic of the Rig Charging station. Three of those
chargers, charge four 6cell packs all at 5 amps. I have
about 7 min of power to control the Rig. I spend a lot
of time charging / discharging and timing everything.
If I loss power during a flight, the plane crashes.

I could go on and on but I will spare you all.

Eddie Weeks
http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17764_1004.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	11409  
Old 07-15-2002, 06:16 PM
EddieWeeks

Default jet chargers

For more info on the SuperNova and SuperTurbo click here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...715&forumid=24

Eddie Weeks
http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/]
Old 07-15-2002, 06:39 PM
GeorgeR
My Feedback: (2)

Default jet chargers

Hi Everyone,

I agree with Eddy except that there are fundamental differences on how packs are used by various turbines ECU's. I typically fly twice then charge both the ECU and the Receiver packs. Even though I might only charge the 1700 mah ECU pack 400 mah, it is the last 400 mah that counts. A partially depleted pack will not perform as well as a fully charged one, as such, startups are faster and more reliable with a "Topped off" pack. You probably could get more milelage from the receiver batteries. AMT air start systems are less demanding.

I personally favor the Graupner Duo II. The autocharger feature with "smart" peak detection can't be beat.

GeorgeR.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Pete S-RCU

Default jet chargers

Eddie,
why did you stop using the Astro Flite D110?
I use it for my ecu pak and other things and think it is a great charger.
It will fast charge and slow charge and I can set the current to anything up to 5 amps.
It peak detects and tells you volts, amps and mah used, lots of information.

I would guess because it only does one battery at a time, although it will charge up to 18 cells.

Just curious.

I'm considering the Sirius, it claims to condition cells, remove memory etc.
Whats your opinion of it?
Old 07-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Chargers

Sirius also make la little known but limited edition model called the "Quad Charger." It charges 4 packs simultaneouly (3 RX and 1 TX), each at a 1 amp rate. Works off 12 volt or AC with built in power cord. Expensive at around $350.

I have one and have been very happy with it until recently when it overcharged a few of my packs, essentially not shutting down automatically. I'm not sure what the problem is, George at Sirius believes it could have something to do with the extensions I am using on the charge cord. I sent it in for repair.

I also have the standard Sirius Pro which is excellent but slow as it only charges at a 500 mah rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.