Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Converting Balsa Bandit to Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Converting Balsa Bandit to Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Converting Balsa Bandit to Turbine

I have a BVM Balsa Bandit that I am looking to drop a Ram 750 in. I've got the bypass from BV already, now I need tanks and a pipe. Two questions here:

1. Can I use the 'standard' BV tanks even though the plane has a hush-kit installed?

-and-

2. Does anyone have these parts from a, gulp, wrecked Bandit they're looking to part company with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 03:14 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting Balsa Bandit to Turbine

If you have as you state a Balsa Bandit and not a super Balsa Bandit you will need to fit new cheeks and inlets to the fus. This is no easy job as you will need to repaint the area.The kevlar tanks woll not fit with the fan inlets either.

Well worth doing the conversion though.

Jason
Old 07-09-2004, 03:55 AM
ozief16

Jason,

My understanding is that the DF inlets are quite a bit larger (more room for the tanks?)...wouldn't that help the situation. I was concerned about the hush-kit intruding on the tank space if you will. Where is my thinking skewed? I am not that excited about putting new intakes on the jet...not excited at all. Thanks for the info, just trying to fully understand the situation

Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, the DF inlets are larger but so is the internal ducting to the fan. I just started doing just this conversion and it is easy but does pose the repainting issue if done on a completed model mine is one that I got under construction that was not finished. Once you see a set of Df inlets and duct versis the Turbine ones it will be clear as to why you need to change them out. Also if you just used the D f stuff you would not be able to match up a BVM bypass to it without a adapter and could have too much inlet air causeing flame out problems.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:22 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

BTW is anyone has a Ducted Fan Balsa Bandit for sale, I'd be very interested

Thanks

Robert
Old 07-09-2004, 08:34 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

The bigger DF inlets will give you less space in the fus but if you want to take the easy route the call Gary Mueler at Jet tech because I think he does a bypass to fit straight on the Viojet inlets. You will loose a few MPH due to the more draggy inlets and loose some fuel storage too but its a whole lot less work than hacking your painted plane to fit the turbine inlets.

Jason
Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Oz Fighter what's up? brief your own TRs and OOCF, meet on quad 3s, W-291 P-5 anytime

speed and angels left......

bring it!!!

glad to see you're still alive and kicking. give a shout when you come back to the land of ......... you know the rest

hasta

buck
Old 07-09-2004, 11:44 PM
ozief16

Yea Bear, land of the ROUND EYED WOMEN!! We've got a couple of your bros on the ramp from Iwakuni...they say they really like it here; I've been to Iwakuni and think they're nuts. My liver is three times normal size right now, and my door gets kicked in nightly. My buddy was sleeping on his couch on the fourth, and his door was promptly kicked in, and he woke up to a Roman Candle shower in his dorm. This place is like college with jets.

I have to put together an LFE next month...you in? Give me a shout if you're going to be out this way or need some not-quite right suits/jackets.

Dave

PS-Nice JDAM for Saddam by the way. I missed that one by three months...PSAB Sept through December, and then I sit at home and read the ATO and watch you guys have the fun...great work though
Old 07-12-2004, 07:03 AM
christrump

I did this mod on a friends Balsa bandit a few years ago. The owner didn't want me to cut out the DF cheeks either so I modified the turbine ducts to fit by flaring the ends to mate up with the DF ducts . I used a cut off wheel to cut out the old ducts, leaving about a half inch flange and glued the flared turbine ducts with an epoxy micro balloons mix. So far their has been no issues with too much air, flame outs and the like. If you want to use the stock tanks you must do this mod.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dave, I did the convertion on my Bandit with the BV convertion stuff. It was probably the best thing I've done in this hobby so far !!!...You have to remove the inlet cowls & air inlets if you do it BV's way, but if your decent with bondo & paint its not so bad.
My advise is however you do it "JUST DO IT" !!!...Bandit & P120, what a freakin blast !
Jay
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 AM
ozief16

Guys, thanks for the continued knowledge flow. Chris, what tanks did you use? I was thinking of creating an adapter so the BV bypass would fit into the stock inlets. The thought of cutting the plane up makes me shiver. I'm back to living in a one room dorm, so painting isn't an option...at least for another 10 months, three weeks, and two days--roughly of course What is nice here, however, is the two miles of runway!

Dave
Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 AM
christrump

Dave, I used the original kevlar bandit tanks. Really, this is your only choice. It gives you maximum fuel capacity and keeps the weight closer to the CG. Adapting the bypass to the DF inlets is not an option IMO and the tanks just wont fit. When I did this mod I tried to keep the transition from the larger DF cheeks to the smaller turbine inlets as smooth as possible with filler. I think this is the bare minimum mod you should do. At least you don't have to cut the outside of the fuse, even though I think the plane looks better with the smaller cheeks and is a bit faster........But don't worry its still a rocket ship with the DF cheeks.
Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 AM
christrump

Just to continue, If I was converting my own personal bandit, I would go all the way and change out everything. It's alot of work anyways, so why not do everything. My reasons being:
1) It will look better(This is enough for me alone).
2) It will fly faster
3) Refinishing the fuse is a "no brainer" because of what I do for a living.
4) Peace of mind knowing that this is the way the designer meant it to be.
I do understand why you don't want to hack up a beautiful fuse, especially if you don't have access to refinishing materials and equipment. That is why I told you how I did my friends bandit, It is an option and seems to work just fine. Just don't try to go half way, get the tanks and the turbine inlets.

Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 06:55 PM
ozief16

Chris, I will definately think about it. Like we've talked...imagine trying to do that modification in your college dorm room with guys kicking in your door to dump flour on you while you sleep (or work on your jet, or whatever). Ahh, this place truly is like the fifth year of college with jets. Perhaps I'll do the not-quite-right mod here, and put the new intakes on when I get back to the states. Again, thank you for your help

Dave