Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

byron f16 first flight today - need advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

byron f16 first flight today - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 02:27 PM
edgreenlee
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default byron f16 first flight today - need advice

i bought a pre owned byron f16 with hurricane fan and rossi 1.05....i ve been flying rc for 20 + years - but have very limited jet experience ( i flew a byron mig once)....im hoping to fly this evening if the weather cooperates..what should i look out for? im mainly concerned about a flame out....how hard is the plane to dead stick? any advice is appreciated......
Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DEAD STICK

IF IT QUITS ON YOU, POINT IT DOWN QUICK, KEEP THE SPEED UP, FLAIR AT THE LAST MINUITE...IF YOU DON'T POINT IT TO THE GROUND, IT WILL JUST MUSH AND FALL LIKE A ROCK...

GOOD LUCK!!!

DAN M.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Centralrchobbies

Let us know how your first flight went. Rick
Old 07-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DEAD STICK

Originally posted by rcjetsaok
IF IT QUITS ON YOU, POINT IT DOWN QUICK
I'll second that. The Byron F16 has a huge cheater hole in the bottom of the fuselage - this means that in normal flight the aircaft is not only sucking itself forwards, it's also sucking the front end of the aircaft downwards. So, when the aircraft is nicely trimmed for forward flight and then the engine quits, suddenly the nose is no longer being sucked down and you will see a very noticeable pitch up of the nose. Be prepared toi immediately put in a non-trivial amount of down to compensate... and I don't just mean some down trim - you may need to hold in some down stick too, due to running out of trim.

The aircaft will actually glide surprisingly well (unless you have an unusually heavy one), and all in all it is a very forgiving and well behaved model - that picth-up on deadstick is the only oddity. The hardest part about that (for me) was remembering that the flare on landing means using less down elevator - not using any up elevator.

Since you said you have only one other flight on a jet - the only other advice I would give you is to remember that you don't have propwash over the control surfaces - so expect the control response to be a bit "mushier" at low speed than you are used to with prop models.

Best of luck,
Gordon
Old 07-16-2002, 04:44 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

In addition, do not forget to suck the gear up as soon as you get airborne. If you are going to fly off a grass field and notice that you are about to run out of space on takeoff, chop the throttle and go back immediately to full throttle and the airplane will rotate. Make sure you are not running the engine too lean on the ground. It will unload once airborne.

Good luck. If you have somebody with more Jet experience in your area, do not hesitate to ask for help before flying it.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:17 PM
edgreenlee

Default f16

appreciate all the advice....i am flying off concrete....and i have onboard needle valve adjustment....i am prepared to richen it up once airborn........btw - i was test running the motor last night...very strong....however - after a couple of minutes - i was running on high idle after alternating full throttle and idle- maybe 20 seconds on high idle - motor died.....do you suppose the engine died as a result of not getting enough airflow...ie plane is not moving?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:10 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: f16

[QUOTE]Originally posted by edgreenlee
appreciate all the advice....i am flying off concrete....and i have onboard needle valve adjustment....i am prepared to richen it up once airborn........btw - i was test running the motor last night...very strong....however - after a couple of minutes - i was running on high idle after alternating full throttle and idle- maybe 20 seconds on high idle - motor died.....do you suppose the engine died as a result of not getting enough airflow...ie plane is not moving? [/QUOTE

On concrete, make sure you get all the ground speed as you can squeeze off the airplane before rotating.

If the engine died on high idle, it might be loading up. Have you tried the fuel line pinch test? What make/type of on-board needle valve are you using? BVM, JMP or stock?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:12 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HIGH IDLE

IF THE ENGINE IDLES HIGH AFTER FULL POWER RUNNING, IT SOUNDS LEAN ON THE LOW END... A LEAN LOW END SETTING CAN BE FOUND BY WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED.. IT WILL KINDA "SING" AT IDLE.. LIKE IT'S WANTING TO GO TO LOW IDLE BUT CAN'T.. RITCHEN THE LOW END 1/8 OF TURN AND SEE IF THAT HELPS..DOUBLE CHECK YOUR HEAD BOLTS AS WELL!!!

GOOD LUCK

DAN M.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:03 PM
edgreenlee

Default f16

wind didnt cooperate....have to try next week