Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Retracts for a newbie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Retracts for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 11:11 PM
dneisler
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts for a newbie

I have a set of SA 101HD's setup on a piece of wood. All plumbed and filled with 110 PSI of air. It takes 6 - 10 seconds for them to retract, and it barely does it. I do not have any restrictors in place at all.

Is this normal? What did I do wrong?

Old 07-17-2002, 11:20 PM
F9F Texan

With 110 psi they should retract so fast that they would try to rip themselves off the board. There's got to be a restriction somewhere. Is the valve that actuates them the "toggle" type or the push button type?
Johnny
Old 07-17-2002, 11:37 PM
dneisler

It is the push pull type.

Here is a video of them opening and closing @ 120 PSI and only the mains are connected, nose gear is not connected.

It is about 2 meg.

Click here for Video

Thanks

Donald
Old 07-18-2002, 12:30 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default hmmm

I would suspec tthe valve, the sping air types normally just use a simple toggle valve, perhaps you have an adjustable valve, or have the valve hooked up wron?

I agree with the other guy, at 110 PSI, with the gear mounted upside down like you have it I would be afraid of bending the frames they would snap so fast, be careful!
Old 07-18-2002, 12:41 AM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Spring Air has a very good retract. Even tho this setup is temporary I would not use only one screw for the frames.

What you need to do is simply pull the lines off each retract and hook your pump to the retract direct and see if it retracts properly. I think matt is right and you will find the valve is faulty. Just give Bill a call and he will send you a replacement.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:46 AM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IT LOOKS QUICKER THAN 6-10 SECONDS.. THE STRUT LENGTH IS EXTREMLEY LONG AND IT APPEARES YOU HAVE BVM WHEELS OR ALUMINUM WHEELS W/ SOLID TIRES... LOT OF WEIGHT AT THAT MOMENT ARM... I WOULD REMOVE THE STRUTS AND WHEELS AND CYCLE THE RETRACT BY THEMSELVES..SHOUD BE MUCH QUICKER..
IF NOT THERE MUST BE SOME TYPE OF RESTRICTION... I WOULD BE SUSPICIOUS OF THE VALVE OR PERHAPS A TEE FITTING THAT IS NOT CORRECT DIAMETER..

GOOD LUCK, LET KNOW WHAT YOU FOUND!!

DAN M.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:50 AM
dneisler

It is quicker thatn 6 - 10 seconds when I have only 2 hooked up. If put all three on it is even slower.

I don't have a pump other than a air compressor at this time. I did hooked up all the hardware with just one retract and it is stil slow to me compared to others I have seen here. I can turn the board upside down and it will sometimes pull the wheels up all the way, but rarely.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

Default pressure

Might sound simple, but make sure that the guage is right. I've seen this happen several times. You may not have 110 psi.

Dennis
Old 07-18-2002, 03:43 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Check your T connectors especially the one between the valve and the tank. I ran into this type of problem few years ago and now all I use are the Robart Quick Tees. (See http://www.robart.com/pages/airsys.html item #226)
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2002, 09:20 PM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

Default 'T's

Check your T connectors

Ghost:

What was wrong with the 'T's you used before? Were they the old 'plug inside the line' style? How did you know there was a problem, etc.? Why are the Robart 't's better - just curious for my own information (not doubting you).

Dennis
Old 07-18-2002, 09:37 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: 'T's

Originally posted by GlennisAircraft
Check your T connectors

Ghost:

What was wrong with the 'T's you used before? Were they the old 'plug inside the line' style? How did you know there was a problem, etc.? Why are the Robart 't's better - just curious for my own information (not doubting you).

Dennis
Dennis

If during the process of fitting the line into the 'T's, you can mistakenly bend the 'T' if you apply too much force resulting in a kink that will restrict airflow.

I switched to ROBARTS because they are very simple to connect and disconnect just like the FESTO we use for turbines. The only disadvantage is that it is a little bulky but you can easily anchor it down using the two holes provided.

I have replaced all the 'T' in all my airplanes with it and so far, it seems to be working great.

Should you have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:50 PM
dneisler

Well thanks for all the help I believe I have figured it out. I took everything loose from the valve and filled her up to 120PSI, and retracted the gear and I can a slight air hissing noise. So it appears that the valve is not letting enough air though. So I called and talked to Bill at SA and he said they where having troubles with that style valve and they had went back to the old style. He said I will have a new one in a couple of days.

Thanks

Donald
Old 07-23-2002, 01:26 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default old vs. new valve

The button valves SA has been supplying with their retract systems are a POS. The "old" toggle valves (from Clippard) are the best. If Bill has trouble getting one of the toggle valves to you let me know and I'll donate one to the cause.

Fwiw, in a nonscale application of SA 'tracts without gear doors, I like to use restrictors on the up cycle only and allow the air to bleed off unrestricted when the gear is extended. That approach allows the gear to come down right NOW but won't retract with too much force.

Mike
Old 07-23-2002, 01:28 PM
dneisler

So MrMike, how do you set them up that way. Would all the restrictors be between the tank and the valve so that they are not restricted going down?

Bill said he would ship me one out, and I should have it in a couple of days.

Donald
Old 07-25-2002, 11:28 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default Restrictor Placement

dneisler wrote ...
Would all the restrictors be between the tank and the valve
>>>>

Yes. For gear extension that allows the air to be dumped from the retract air cylinders direct to atmospheric with nothing in the way. I've found that just one of the Robart (brass,inline) restrictors slows the up cycle to my liking.

Mike