Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Heat Shield

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:42 AM
dagored11
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM Heat Shield

Does anyone out there know if it is OK to put BV's Heat Shield directly on a servo case without causing damage to the plastic case??

If not, what do you suggest to insulate a servo from heat.

Thanks,

Joe A
Old 07-18-2002, 11:09 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default BVM Heat Shield

Joe it works fine and will not hurt the servo case.

DR
Old 07-18-2002, 11:48 AM
dagored11
My Feedback: (4)

Default BVM Heat Shield

Thanks Dave!!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BVM Heat Shield

You can apply the heat shield to the servo case but a better way to go is to cut a small square of the BVM fire resistant blanket and apply it with high temp rtv. It will offer a more fire resistant wall and can always be easily removed. Works better than just applying heatshield. I know this from direct experience!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:19 AM
sflaten

Default application of Heat shield

A few things to remember about the Heat Shield is you gain additional protection if you place a thin aluminum or poly ply shield in position and apply the Heat Shield to the side facing the heat source. Leave an air space between the aluminum sheet and the servo. Never try and apply the Heat Shield to the leeward side of the heat source (like on the outside of the tailpipe. It will blister off and not provide the durability. If you have a hot start and minor fire, reapply the heat shield. The latex carrier agent burns off and leaves the ceramic granules exposed to errosion (like a charred powder). A new coat will bond it all back together and get your protection back to 100%.

15 mils of thickness of this material is equal to 4" of fiberglass insulation. Be sure you cover all the weave in your fiberglass fuse so the high spots get the 15 mill coverage. This includes the raw edge of the glass.

Here is a new application idea. I have a convertible sports car. On the hot summer days,the floorboards get real hot from the catalytic converter. Most cars have a heat shield of thin metal atached to the floorboard. Paint on a coat of Heat Shield and the interior will be a lot cooler.

Steve Flaten