Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

interesting composite topic

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

interesting composite topic

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:55 AM
paperairplanes
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting composite topic

Being in the military aviation, USCG, I get to see a lot of good info on the real thing. I have been studying for my servicewide, for those who dont know its a test you take to move up in rank. These tests actually ask some pretty far out there questions, (about stuff that you hardly ever see on a day to day basis). Anyways, I came across some good gouge about composite materials. The number 1 cause of delamanitaion in composite aircraft is vibration from turbine engines. They cause very high frequency vibes. Anyone ever try testing this theory out on the turbines we use? I know it may not be a big deal because how many jets have you seen that are falling apart from delamanation? None the less have you been doing thorough post flight inspections of your a/c looking for this? I know I havent. I will be in the garage tonight looking close!!!! Just food for thought....
Old 07-18-2002, 05:21 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interesting composite topic

Paper,
I don't think the amplitude or ips of the vibration involved in model turbines, what little there is, would have an effect on our airframes. Not to mention the extremely low "exposure" time our airframes are subjected to this tiny high freq vibration. FS aircraft spend a lot more time flying under far greater stresses (environmental, aerodynamic...) than we'll ever see.

Nonetheless a post flight inspection is always a good idea no matter what aircraft type you fly. Even a simple wipe down inside and out can pay big dividends.