Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kyosho F86f Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kyosho F86f Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 06:45 PM
matthamilton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho F86f Sabre

Tower Hobbies had their Kyosho F86f Sabre on sale a few weeks ago for $280. I missed the sale, but I figuired they were about ready to discontinue the plane. I picked one up last week and flew it for the first time today.

I read the threads here and knew I had to cut cheater holes in the wing and make a thrust tube. I filled the tank with 30% heli fuel, started it up, and aimed it down the runway. I let it run about 200' before I pulled elevator and let it make a shallow climb. A few low passes, a few rolls, I skipped inverted and loops. 5 flights today and the plane is still in one piece. I must admit, if I hadn't read the advice here, I'd probably be picking pieces of fiberglass from the street.

It's not the fastest plane I've had, but $400 for an ARF ducted fan plane is not bad.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:44 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen! It's a neat little model. A big, big part of the problem when they released it was an incorrect, way aft CG shown on the instructions.
I am doing a new one, this one with full ducting and the Tokifan unit. Should be fun.
A lot of people just said flat out: "it will not fly", but I enjoyed mine.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:31 PM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Today I have 100 flights on my F86. It is great to hear that someone else has had some success with the little jet. Here is a new fix to modify the jet for better take off that I just tried today in Vermillon Ohio , Erie County Cloud Climbers field:

Remove the hatch which is over the motor which has the hole in it for the glow plug and the stater pull cord haddle and replace it with one made out of plastic , reinforced with fiber glass cloth and cut out to replace the old one. I will attach or send you pics of the one I made which needs no screws to hold it in place. This made a big difference on takeoff , because less airpressure was lost out of these two air leaks. try it and I know you will love the effect that I got out of it !!!! This took a half hour and four models till I got the right one , after you start the engine you just flex it into the hole and go fly, it did not pop out in flight and it looks better not having those holes in the top ,

This is a must do modification to all that own this plane !!!!!!

Good to hear from you Easytiger , glad to see you are still working on the plane. I will be at Michigan Jets next Saturday and Sunday with the plane. e-mail [email protected]
Old 07-21-2002, 01:12 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default T33jetman

T33jetman:

You sure do know how to fly that Kyosho F-86!

I wonder who was so nice to you to let you fly at the Erie County Cloud Climber field!

Your friend,
Old 07-21-2002, 01:23 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone wants I have a modified wing for the kyosho F86 with working retracts. I set it up with the Rorat 1/2a mechanicals ..

I also have a brand new fan and engine .. I can let both go for $160 ..

Wojtek
Old 07-21-2002, 02:39 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

glad you guys are having good flights with your. I too read all the threads here, good and bad. I still bought one, worst plane I ever bought. It is now on its way in a box of pieces to Kyosho for my money back (actually I will be getting whatever I want from Top flight or Great Planes)

good luck guys, I like reading about all the cool mods you have been doing

Todd
Old 07-21-2002, 03:40 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to move the fan forward, to get rid of the noseweight. To have to put in any lead at all on a plane of this type is pretty deadly.
Not sure whether or not I am going to use gear at all on this new one. Maybe bungee only. Though that is a real pain, you would save a good bit of drag and weight.
How did the retract conversion work out? Seems like five extra ounces or so might be pretty bad.
I will roll my own full ducting on this one. At least ducting from the fan back. Not sure if I will do intake ducting. I think the nose intake is too small to do alone, and ducting to both the nose intake and one or more cheater holes gets pretty complex...
Old 07-21-2002, 04:14 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Nick ,

It was has been great flying with you guys at your field, and nothing but a pleasent experiance everytime that I come out there, it is worth the drive.

William

p.s. I cannot get my pics to post on this site , any help out there?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by t33jetman
Hi Nick ,

It was has been great flying with you guys at your field, and nothing but a pleasent experiance everytime that I come out there, it is worth the drive.

William

p.s. I cannot get my pics to post on this site , any help out there?
William:

The pics need to be a max. of 80KB in size and no more than 700 pixels square. I use Adobe Photoshop to size them. Next time at the field I'll take some digital photos of you / F-86 and post them for you if you like.