Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

wren mw54 / Ram 500 or what else?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

wren mw54 / Ram 500 or what else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:51 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wren mw54 / Ram 500 or what else?

Hey guys,
Im trying to figure a nice small light wieght turbine for my yellow starfire. Whats out there with the bugs worked out. I have a p120 but I believe even detuned its to much eng with to much weight. Like my buddy said "a cadillac eng in a vw bug"
I would like to try the kit wren just to do it, & probably go air start to save wieght & put the old scuba tank to use. Ive heard a bad thing or 2 about the little mw54 but a slue of good things.
Anyone with some info please help.
thanks, Jermaine
Old 07-21-2002, 04:50 PM
ageless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small Turbine

check this.

www.funsonic.com

mine should arrive end of august :-)

TO
Old 07-21-2002, 04:55 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Default Mw54

Hi Mr J hows the Bandit? Anyways I ordered 2 of the MW54s and like you was wondering which small motors to use in my Twin F-14. You seem to have come to the the same conclusion I did, first on the small motors you dont really need the complexity of the full auto start,and you save weight too!seconed I talked to Dennis and he ashured me the motor will run as long as certian messures are taken to inshure proper setup. And finnally, I read allot of good comments about the Mw54 so I orderd the kit motors and paid abit extra to have Dennis do the balance of the shaft .I will do a build and run thread on them as soon as the kits arrive and instructions are read a few times! I think that you cant go wrong with them and im shure Dennis will help in any problems that arrise .....And food for thought ...Jet Cat Hammer was once a engine people would say ohhhh thats one of those hammers how does it run ? so dont let popularity shy you away from something..... like the _ _ _ guys found out.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:14 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

I own both a RAM 500 and a kit built MW54, and in my opinion the MW 54 is by far the best of these two engines. I like many others have had problems with the RAM, even the latest auto start ECU is for from perfect and causes the majority of the problems. The wren uses the fadec ECU which is tiny, costs very little and in the six hours ive got on my engine has worked perfectly and every start is as smooth as any jetcat you have seen. Also IF the wren does require a engine change it will cost you the price of a bearing and half an hour of your time and not $250.00. Oh yes and the comlete package is half the price!!!!!

jason
Old 07-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Jermaine

A detuned P-120 isn't too much engine or too much weight for your VW Bug. I agree that a smaller engine would be nicer, though. I flew the Starfire with a Simjet 1200 air-stat, and it was fantastic. I also flew the same plane with a RAM 1000 (heavier than the 120), with very good results.

My two cents...
Old 07-21-2002, 06:20 PM
BlueBus320

Did you receive your jets yet ?
my Bandit is very good, its a pic or 2 of it on BV's web site under fentress pics. I think im going to sell it to trim the fleet to a simple mw54 or ? powered starfire, & my complex F18 twin. I have to check & see if I still have your #. You were the man with the scoop on things !!
Hey whats up with the P160 ? did ya get 1 yet. & do you know whats the kit cost for the mw54 ?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:39 PM
jettset99

Default Wren Kit Cost

First ,If you want to sale the bandit Ill take it! I Got my F-86 its awsome the motor cost was about $1500 each with the simple ecu for the air start fuel pump all accessories ect, plus the latest incinal can and fuel tubes it did come with the electric starter wand and their is no drilling or taping required just bolt toghther Dennis will balance the shaft for you for a extra charge, he allso has a cool looking flare cone for looks department. Remember the wren 54 is the design that simjet,ram and others are copying so why not do it yourself. These are very high tech motors but their design initself is quite simple and as many has learned from the 500 design you might have to tinker with these little gems so why not build it learn how it goes together that way you can fix it yourself for just the cost of parts! I ordered 2 with complete confidence in them.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:43 PM
jettset99

Default JD Enterprises

http://www.jdenterprise.net/WEng/WEng.htm

Here you go check it out.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:00 PM
BlueBus320

Hey I think I still have your email address. I will send you pics, its not posted yet because I dont have pics that will fit, & I personally believe that when your asking a few K for a toy than you ought to figure a way to attach a pic. I told you our guy was like a undiscovered gem or something, quality in my opinion second to none.
Jermaine
Old 07-21-2002, 07:23 PM
JET FX

Default PST 600

Jermaine, another option is our new MW 54 based PST600 Full-Auto Start turbine. Available through Tom Cook/ Jet Model Products in the U.S. http://www.pstjets.com
Old 07-21-2002, 07:35 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Tom Cook, when I talked to him, was a long ways from selling PST-600's. I sure hope it happens soon, as lots of people are looking for this class turbine.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:27 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 500. I would NOT buy another one, based upon customer service alone.
If I could do it over, I would buy the Wren from JD Enterprises. Or I would wait for somebody else to come out with one.
Anybody know what is the status on that one out of Thailand?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:00 AM
JET FX

Default Thailand turbine

Easytiger the PST 600 is indeed the new turbine out of Thailand, the PST600 had its global launch at the 2001 World Jet Masters last year in Thailand.
TJT has recently taken on global distribution and service for PST Jets and all their product line. Here is the url for more info on the PST 600, MW 54 based turbine- http://www.pstjets.com

Price for the PST600 full-auto start package, as per PST web site is
$2100.00 U.S.

Also look out for the next issue of RCJI for a full PST 600 review by
David Gladwin.

Tony re-JMP selling the PST 600 being long way off!
I imagine Tom may have been refering to the new JMP electronics/ECU that is in the works. Yes! this may be a little while yet before Tom has the new JMP ECU package ready for the PST600 available.
The reason for JMPs switch from the Orbit ECU unit is only to simplify operations and service for JMP and its valued customers. As both the JMP3000 and PST 600 are to share the same U.S. sourced electronics ECU and accessories package... This saves any concern of having to source parts and/or sending ECU etc to Europe/Orbit for repairs : )
Old 07-22-2002, 12:08 AM
Chrism-RCU

Hi Easy Tiger and all,

The PST J600 engine will be available in the USA very shortly through Tom Cook at Jet Model Products.
Distribution of this engine will be through TJT around the world and the through Tom in the USA.
Our first production batch of engines will be with us in about 2 weeks, We will be able to ship to the USA about a week later.
Pleae note: these engines still have to be AMA approved, and the work to achieve this is taking place at the moment.
About the engine, this engine is a derivative of the MW54 in that it uses the same turbine wheel and the same NGV as the MW54, these critical parts come from the Wren factory in the UK and are manufactured to AMS2175b standards.
The engine apart from this is a different design to the 54 and uses a different compressor.
The test engines we currently have, have been subjected to some very harsh treatment and have come through with flying colours, flight testing of these engines is taking place both in Australia and Thailand and so far the engine has proven to be a good reliable unit.
The engine will deliver 6kg of thrust at 160 000 rpm, the auto start works first time every time, this is a great little engine.
Once available the engine will sell for USD2100.00 in the USA.

If you require further detail then please contact me direct at [email protected]

Many thanks.

BRG,
Chris.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:35 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PST

Hi Chris,

Do you get a lot of flames on start up of the 600?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:55 AM
Chrism-RCU

Hi John,
interesting question, the answer is, not at this stage, we are using a new system of engine control, both for the TJT300 engine and the PST J600, through thorough testing and development we have got to the point of no flame on either engine on auto start.

The PST J600, from start initiation to sat running at idle is just a shade under 30 seconds, and the engine will accelerate from idle to full power in 4 seconds.

We are very happy with the results on both of these engines using the new system.

BRG,
Chris.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:17 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flames

That sounds good Chris.

Apart from the ever faulty ECU's, excessive flames on start-up where one of the biggest problems with a turbine product I was briefly associated with earlier this year.

Several tail pipes where fried due to that. Kept the tail pipe manufacturers plenty busy

Looking forward to see the engine "live"

JC
Old 07-22-2002, 01:52 AM
Chrism-RCU

Hi John,

We will have these engines with us at Superman this year, If you can make it I would be happy to demo this engine for you. I know seeing is believing so if possible try and see for yourself, no one believed the TJT 3000 would go from idle to full power in under 2 seconds, till we showed them at Superman last year, and to put the icing on the cake we also made the engine haul 22lbs of diving weight off the ground whilst doing this, the engine didnt just lift the weight it accelerated it up to the end of the test stand slide. The PST engine will do this with a 6kg lead block but a little slower at 4 seconds.
Enough sales pitch, fly jets have fun.

BRG,
Chris.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:33 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: Flames

Originally posted by jchris

Apart from the ever faulty ECU's, excessive flames on start-up where one of the biggest problems with a turbine product I was briefly associated with earlier this year.

Several tail pipes where fried due to that. Kept the tail pipe manufacturers plenty busy

JC
No you did not say that.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding about William Donnars engine.

Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:55 PM
DennisF

Default JDE 54

I have read the threads posted regarding different parts used in the 54 and PST J600 and other derivatives of the 54 the remark about using a different compressor may be true most are using the number 9 compressor which is the original design and does not for manufacturing reasons require any machining, but through continued development Mike found that the number 10 compressor worked better this requires a re-profiling of the compressor and for this reason most manufactures of the 54 derivative do not want the extra cost and step of using the 10 compressor.
When you are looking for a 12 lb class turbine engine just remember one thing who originally designed the engine and who would know it best.

BRG's
Dennis
JDE
Old 07-22-2002, 04:28 PM
cairoman

Well....

Schreckling and Artes designed the original KJ66 and yet its derivatives being sold around the world today are far better than the original design.

Still I think Wren have two remarkable inventions there, the MW54 and the latest smallest MW44.

Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 07:34 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Default WREN MW54

My Maverick had another 4 flights today with it's Wren mw54 and I am very very pleased with it, it's got stacks of power and is totaly reliable. If you are thinking of getting one, just do it as you wont regret it.Im getting another one to put in the starjet as soon as I sell the RAM 500.

jason
Old 07-22-2002, 07:52 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

Default Jason's Maverick

Jason, Can you email me a picture of the interior of the Maverick showing the engine, electronic and fuel tank configuration.

I have a Maverick that I would like to convert.

What size fuel tanks do you use and how much flight time do you get?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Chrism-RCU

Hi Dennis, and all,

There are no two ways about it, the MW54 is a superb little engine, we have a couple of them here at TJT, and yes the PST J600 uses a different compressor wheel, it also uses a different shaft configuration.

One thing is for sure and that is if you take the innards from the MW54, the PST, the KJ66, the JC whatever, the Simjet whatever, the TJT whatever, the AMT whatever, the Ram whatever, the Behotech whatever, the BMT whatever, the one thing you will notice is that the guts of all these engines all follow the basic KJ66 configuration as designed by Artes, Schreckling and Kamps, each engine has its own design differences, but the layout and basic configuration is the same.
The guys at Wren have done a brill job on the MW series of engines, and the work they have done on the turbo prop is world leading, hats off to them. All the current engines are based on the origional KJ66, with just a few differences but the general layout is still KJ.

BRG,
Chris.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:02 PM
DennisF

Default small turbine engine

Hi Chris / everyone
I guess if we continue we can take this all the way back to the whittle design and layout after all he is the one that made the principle elements work, so yes I think everything in is based on someone beginning idea and made from it.
But it’s the continued work on these principle ideas where other’s have stopped, Wren has continued to develop the turbine wheel this as you may know is no small undertaking making a part that is large in physical size has a much greater tolerance for error but take that same part and scale it down you will find there are problems that occur and the part won’t work so I think there is a little more than just copying a basic layout.
My thought is if it were so easy to perform making these small turbine wheels someone else would have done so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.