Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design F-16 LE Flap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design F-16 LE Flap

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 01:15 PM
backstab
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation Design F-16 LE Flap

What do you guys think about the feasability if adding a leading edge flap to the AD f-16,or any other High end jet kit.I understand that lots of people say it's not nessesary but neither is retractable landing gear! How would you go about hinging/actuating and locking this? Thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEFs

Bob Fiorenze did ths years ago on an F-18, and Larry Wolfe has a method for doing it too. The tricky part, other than INSURING that the LEFs come down exactly the same, is balancing the forces with the flaps and elevator. Obviously, any asymmetrical deployment could put your jet in the dirt quickly.

As you know, at approach speed, flaps cause a pitch down moment. LEFs cause a pitch UP moment. (Take a look at the elevator position of an actual F-16 on final, to see the DOWN elevator trim position with LEFs deployed to the landing position.)

Bob Fiorenze used a single servo in each wing for both the trailing edge flap and leading edge flap, to keep them synchronized. Typical deployment angles are 25 degrees down LEF for 40 degrees of trailing edge flap.

I've only used these on a prop type "sport jet", and never on a high speed DF or turbine. They worked well, but the sport jet in question went in due to stab flutter before any kind of "analysis" could be performed.

In a nutshell, high "wow" factor, but everything needs to be absolutely straight and symmetrical, or you could have some problems. I'd love to see this done on more airplanes, regardless, because I love "gadgets".