Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Poor Man's Afterburner? >

Poor Man's Afterburner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Poor Man's Afterburner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor Man's Afterburner?

well....another attempt to bring this back to the actual subject, If you are looking for an afterburner effect, im not sure that a flickering flame is going to get it. look at the pic that wojtek provided. looks like a few things indeed, but afterburner wouldnt be one of them. on the onther hand, maybe most folks wouldnt know the diff. certainly there would be no added thrust to speak of, but maybe just for the visuals it might be worth the effort.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know what the SkyPipe burner looked like when in berner? Anyone actually ever see one operate?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...in model airplanes....?
Yep...
Old 02-12-2006, 04:30 AM

Strange that this company is mentioned everytime this topic comes up. I remember the claims, and the drawings on the site when it was up, but never any actual video or pics of the product working. nor any pics of the product in the hands of customers. I have major doubts on this one.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:26 PM

did someone mention my name?
that video clip of what was classed as 'afterburning' or 'reheat' as us in the know like to call it isn't....what i see from that video clip is an engine control unit not setup correctly and pushing too much fuel into the engine too soon to cause unburnt fuel to exit the engine......ok i might be wrong but if i am and thats what this guys calling reheat then it's burning incorrectly causing a poor flame.
a smoke on system could cause the same effect if positioned correctly too but i doubt it'd give you more thrust.

yeah i know about reheat as i've been taught from the master of model jet engines 'Phill Heward' so i know one of two things about it, i even gave Phill a design of reheat for his 95LB thrust engine which was used on a gokart for 'FUN'.
plus i gave him the idea of the Jacksone Dstick to make fuel efficiency better.

regards reheat:- all you need is a small flame holder, this is the part that is the secret.................wanna know?

boy i love to leave people in suspence
Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bela

Strange that this company is mentioned everytime this topic comes up. I remember the claims, and the drawings on the site when it was up, but never any actual video or pics of the product working. nor any pics of the product in the hands of customers. I have major doubts on this one.

like you, saw the pics of the skypipe but never saw pics of it working.

have witnessed first hand of one of Phill hewards reheats working........forget earplugs get some protection for the chest as the noise is like standing next to a full size engine at max reheat!.......ohh what fun!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i would like to know more about that turbine sounds realy cool
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Wonder what a little Nitrox in the intake (like the dragsters) would do?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Using the small "mist" nozzle from a sprinkler head, put the fuel under pressure, inject it, then watch what happens! Get the hot dogs ready!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: HeaterMan

Wonder what a little Nitrox in the intake (like the dragsters) would do?
simply increase the RPM of the engine, the same as any fuel would, water/meths mix will too.

reheat or afterburning is what it says it is, reheating the burnt gases, you need to have a secondary type combustor in the exhaust after the turbine and slow the air down in the burning stage for it to work otherwise (like the combustion chamber) it's like driving your car while holding a lit candle out the window.....blows out.