Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UPS, I just don't get it......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UPS, I just don't get it......

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:53 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default UPS, I just don't get it......

Ok, here is the scenario.......
I live in Red Deer, Alberta. I'm pretty much directly north of the west side of Montana.

I just bought a Super Bandit from Ad Clark. It's being sent to me UPS ground as we agreed.

So, he ships it out, it leaves from victorville California and goes to Los Angeles.

I get a phone call yesterday from UPS, they say they have my package but it is missing documentation to clear customs. No problem, I tell them what they need and ask, where is the package now?
She replies, it is in Fredricton, New Brunswick!!

WHAT?????????? That's like 4000 miles east of where I live!!!!! I said um........ ok, so what now? She says, it will be in Vancouver on tuesday.

So I'm thinkin, ok, it's being shipped ground, but somehow it just travelled 5000 miles from California to New Brunswick and now it's going to go 5000 miles back to Vancouver???? I am closer to NB than Vancouver is!!!!

Whatever, so, I go look at the tracking again last night, and it's back in Sacramento California!!!!!!!

So I call, and I ask, "where is my package for real?" ironically, it's in Sacramento. So it's now travelled about 10,000 miles for a trip that would only be about 1600 miles to drive.

Today it's in Roseburg Oregon. Which again, that's closer to me than Vancouver is, so why does it have to go to vancouver first???

At least now I know why UPS loses or breaks everything, it's because it has to travel around the world 3 times before you get it!

What a joke...........
Old 10-16-2004, 01:12 PM
razorice79
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UPS, I just don't get it......

that sucks.. I know UPS has HUBs they ship to (even though its not in your direction) then they are supposed to send it back towards your location.. Ive seen this before but not as bad when i track orders..

good luck![>:]
Old 10-16-2004, 01:14 PM
LGM Graphix

But they have lots of hubs all through north america, what makes no sense to me is, when it's being shipped ground, how did it get onto a plane to end up in NB and back to California anyway LOL. There is a Hub in Calgary Alberta, like 1 hour from me, why couldn't they just send it there instead.

I'll just be happy if it shows up LOL
Old 10-16-2004, 01:27 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Customs maybe? Anyway, don't ever send it Fedex. May never find its way there. Goodluck.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

look on the bright side...they can't possibly be making any money off this deal......
Old 10-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Glad to know your Bandit is on its way Jeremy.
I have a UPS account and I never had such a problem. It could be due to BVM not ensuring a commercial invoice was enclosed. Also, a declaration that Goods are of US Origin.

Anyhow, hope you get your kit soon.

The Gripen is scheduled to be delivered Monday.
I cannot wait.

Peter
Old 10-16-2004, 03:38 PM
tomcatman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MustangAce

Customs maybe? Anyway, don't ever send it Fedex. May never find its way there. Goodluck.

Never FedEx? Just out of curiousity, why not? I work for FedEx and I can honestly say that with our express customs clearance, where most international packages are concerned, especially for Canada, they clear customs before they even get there provided documentation is in order. I'd really like to hear from the guys who've had shipments sent via FedEx and what your experience has been. Thanks

Jeremy, UPS definitely dropped the ball with your package. The distance of almost half way around the world, literally!!! That's crazy. So long as you get it in one piece though, and on time, I guess that's all that really matters. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
AirPac Models

It's ok Jeremy. It's a plane, she like add a few thousand miles in her odometer
Old 10-16-2004, 04:12 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I order from the US, anything of value, I allways ask for it to go Fedex.

Hey I know some of you guys... What a small world

Nony gets a new bird, Peter gets a new bird and so does Jeremy... I guess I better start looking at something new to buy, eh??

AJC
Old 10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

I had a terrible experiece with UPS sending a couple of servos to Canada to have some special connectors put on them and returned to me. They ended up wanting to charge me a high (36.00) brokerage fee. RIDICULOUS! I refused to pay it had it returned and told Mail Boxes Etc to pay the fees to get it back which they did since they were acting as UPS brokers and should have known about the custom fees. When I got the servos back, a month later, I sent them back USPS for 11.00 bucks.

I hate Brown!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

My Wife won a gift certificate for 50% off kit at Liberty Bell the first year from Dl models. She as a surprise paid for the difference for the kit and send it to me as a gift. Once it got sent to me I got a letter 4 months later telling me that I owed $25 for customs fees for my purchase. I told UPS to come and get the kit since it was a gift and I didn't buy it. I have never heard from them since and neigther has my wife or Dl.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

The Hub and spoke system can be a mystery sometimes, but from an operational standpoint, it usually makes sense. If you send a package FedEx overnight from San Fran to LA, it will go to Memphis first. That sounds odd, but really it only takes about 12 hours to make the whole trip.

I work for FedEx and I don't think its fair for someone to bash the company for one or two bad shipments, the same goes for UPS. I've had practically no problems with UPS or FedEx, but things can happen. If you trace the route a package takes through their systems, its a wonder they ever get where they're going, let alone in one piece.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

I've had more than my fair share of problems with UPS. They don't know what customer service is.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:39 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

UPS, "united package smashers" Russ
Old 10-17-2004, 12:16 AM
rcjetfan

ORIGINAL: tomcatman

Never FedEx? Just out of curiousity, why not? I work for FedEx and I can honestly say that with our express customs clearance, where most international packages are concerned, especially for Canada, they clear customs before they even get there provided documentation is in order. I'd really like to hear from the guys who've had shipments sent via FedEx and what your experience has been. Thanks

Jeremy, UPS definitely dropped the ball with your package. The distance of almost half way around the world, literally!!! That's crazy. So long as you get it in one piece though, and on time, I guess that's all that really matters. GOOD LUCK!!
Is that why FedEX lost my package to my girlfriend that lives in the Czech Republic and tried to charge me a tax for her to get it and their only BS excuse was "We didnt know about the tax.." Come on these Shipping companies that go world wide are supposed to be up to date on all shipping codes, country codes, taxes. UPS is no better. I have personally seen them kick around packages marked Fragile.. Doesnt matter to them as long as they get their trucks loaded. The best way for you to ship anything and i do mean anything is through DHL Worldwide, their faster, cheaper and take better care of packages than FedEX or UPS.Tomcatman Im not trying to harp on you but im definately going to nail FedEx when they give lame excuses and basically lie to their customers.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:54 AM
tamjets

Don't feel bad.
I have ship many small package to canada. I though airmail express get to canada in 3-5 days.
But it been 2-3 weeks before other side to get my package.
I can send any small package around the world less than 5 days with USPS airmail express.
But canada I'm not happy with their postal service.
Come on. We are just next door neightbor.
If USP have their weird round. It must be a reason. Just hope for the best. Hope those UPS $9 an hour workers take good care for what their handle. [sm=confused.gif]
Just make sure to take photos of any damage sight of the box when is arrive.
I'm very sure Ad Clark ship you good product. But UPS is another story.
Brg,
Tam
Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

I have had endless problems with UPS both personally & with my business!! They are very well known for damaging packages and for untimely delays in shipping.I had a TGA F15 shipped 3 years ago to me by UPS .When I got home the package had been left at my doorstep which is shouldnt have been first off-it was "signature required" . I immediately noticed a gapping hole in the side of the box & as expected the jet had significant damage as a result.I promptly went down to the local UPS hub and filed a complaint as it was insured of course.They tried to feed me some friggen BS about how it wasn't properly packed!! It had enough foam packing peanuts in it too cover my Living Room!! I told the Rep ,look it's obvious that you guys inflicted damage to the box.I told him it sure looks like the work of a forklift to me or one of your warehouse workers kicked it for a field goal! [X(]

Well to make a long story short with this occasion I went back & forth with UPS for over 2 weeks,they insisted it wasn't their fault & they didn't want to pay.Well I had enough so I called my lawyer,he sent them a certified letter the next day.I very quickly(Within 2 days) got a check in the mail from UPS after we threatened legal action & bad publicity on the local TV station(10 on your side).I DID at once use UPS for all my shipping needs and notice I stress DID .I could go on & on about my bad luck with UPS.I used them on average 2-3 days a week for shipping of my products in my business ,but that stopped immediately as soon as I had the above stated ordeal with UPS. I have been using Fed Ex ever since with no mishaps or problems whatsoever.UPS is well known for constantly damaging packages,delays in delivery & aweful customer service .I had a buddy whom use to work at UPS back in the late 90's & he told me that they were terrible with package handling.They threw,kicked,forced stuff,didn't pay attention to important making such as fragile,top load only,etc. .He said he saw it first hand every day-thats one of the reasons he left there. Give it time & they will lose a good portion of their dedicated customer base unless they change their bad work habits.Quite a few of my friends whom own businesses as well have also gotten away from using UPS cause of simliar problems such as mine .

Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 08:30 AM
MustangAce

I have worked for UPS for 11 years and still do. I used to process damages and decided which claims would be paid or unpaid. Always pack as if there is glass inside just to be sure. I used to inspect packages that had glass separated only by cardboard all the time. We obviously could never approve those claims. The UPS customer counters at the hubs have injection foam molding for packing. Thats what I use when sending airplanes. By the way, I always request UPS and order online constantly. My LHS is too far away.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:55 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

We ship daily and have had problems with everyone. The USPS have the least amount of damage claims, though they did send one of my personal packages to Iceland instead of Ireland. Never did fine that one.
I asked a UPS driver why a package was damaged once and he said "Well, we have to have something to chock the wheels with when we get out of the truck". I'm not sure he was kidding!
The best advice as above, pack it like it was glass and make sure it is insured!

Good Luck,

Doug
Old 10-17-2004, 09:02 AM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Not that it matters but did you make sure it was Vancouver, BC? Just a thought, there is a Vancouver, Washington in the US just on the Canadian border. If they just said Vancouver...maybe it was in Washington state. Who knows!
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I switched to Airborne express about 3yrs ago and have bee very happy with them, they have merged with DHL now and continue to do well for my biz. I still get lots of stuff del by UPS and what i see is a truck that is jammed packed with packages and a driver that has to climb all over packages just to get at them to make the delivery, hence the foot prints on the boxes and the damage.
V..
Old 10-17-2004, 09:12 AM
MustangAce

There is new computer software out now for the UPS drivers. It is called EDD. EDD tells the driver where to start his deliveries in order from the "closest" neighborhood. It even tells the driver the exact location on the truck. The driver will not have to climb over packages. They will be selected from the front of the truck and will finish towards the back.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:00 AM
tomcatman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcjetfan

ORIGINAL: tomcatman

Is that why FedEX lost my package to my girlfriend that lives in the Czech Republic and tried to charge me a tax for her to get it and their only BS excuse was "We didnt know about the tax.." Come on these Shipping companies that go world wide are supposed to be up to date on all shipping codes, country codes, taxes. UPS is no better. I have personally seen them kick around packages marked Fragile.. Doesnt matter to them as long as they get their trucks loaded. The best way for you to ship anything and i do mean anything is through DHL Worldwide, their faster, cheaper and take better care of packages than FedEX or UPS.Tomcatman Im not trying to harp on you but im definately going to nail FedEx when they give lame excuses and basically lie to their customers.

RCJETFAN....I understand your frustration, I really do. Although i'm a driver courier for FedEx, i've had my share of in office work and dealing with customers and their, for the most part, legitimate complaints. One of our biggest problems, is the fact that sometimes, inbound policies for individual countries, such as the Czech Republic, can and will change. We carry service reference guides (SRG) that we use to inform our customers of charges involved with shipping to a particular destination. These SRG's are updated on a monthly basis. Should you ever wish to have something shipped or shipped to you from overseas, your best bet would be to contact customer service directly for an accurate quote. It's not just with FedEx, it happens to all of them.
Remember guys n gals, none of these shipping systems are perfect. Personally, I have horror stories from having used both FedEx and UPS. As far as the shipping is concerned, I can't say that one is any better than the other, but I will say that customer service at UPS is horrible, sorry UPS guys. Even I, have had to call FedEx customer svc from time to time, and I work for them. I absolutely love the way FedEx greets and handles customers on the phone. Virtually everytime i've called UPS, i've hung up with them very pi$$ed off!

Anyway people, with that said, no more. I guess trial and error will be your best teacher, then you can make up your own mind.
GOOD LUCK!!

ps...I really like the idea of using INJECTION FOAM MOLDING. I think that's the best way to go, especially with airplanes. Just don't forget to pre wrap it with plastic or something. You don't want that stuff getting into every little crevice within the model!! LOL
Old 10-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

When I order from the US, anything of value, I allways ask for it to go Fedex.

Hey I know some of you guys... What a small world

Nony gets a new bird, Peter gets a new bird and so does Jeremy... I guess I better start looking at something new to buy, eh??

AJC
Time to order the Hawk Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85886.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	183611  
Old 10-17-2004, 02:44 PM
LGM Graphix

Well,

I have never had a major problem with Fedex, at least Fedex express. The only exception is I have one customer in England who every time I send him a guitar it is late by about a week (when it's sent overnight)
UPS on the other hand has destroyed many things on me. The Bandit is being sent in it's original shipping box so here is hoping that it is safe :P
Fedex ground from the US into Canada is always a hassle for me with brokerage. UPS is expensive as hell for brokerage but at least they seem to be able to clear it through customs on their own. Fedex Ground just seems to take forever and they're expensive as well but I don't have time to sit through 6 or 7 phone calls with them.

USPS is by far my favorite method to ship with, they're inexpensive, reasonably quick, and have never damaged or lost anything on me. Canada post is slow, expensive, and they've lost things on me. Sadly they're one of my few options up here for reasonable shipping, they're expensive, but still less than the others

Peter's Gripen will be safe though, here's the crate that sucker is packed in!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.