Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

thumbs or thumb&finger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
thumbs
50.49%
thumbs & fingers
49.51%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

thumbs or thumb&finger

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thumbs or thumb&finger

I agree....Daytona......great idea....if I do that I don't have to keep telling myself in my mind, "Push, push, push" when inverted......great idea.....
Old 12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
icepilot

Try strapping a pencil to your thumb and write your name - then see how much control you have...
I have never understood how it is possible to fly with thumbs only - just can't imaging how that can give a smooth, flowing control...

So, thumbs and index finger for me!!

Marry XMas, everybody!

Greetings from Norway, Tor
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM
MAX EFFFORT

icepilot, that is funny , i use that same example [writing with your thumb] ,when talking about this subject with guys that are just starting to fly..but in all fairness, i have seen some guys that fly good with thumbs....still a close poll..
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: KFalcon

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

I second that..... For me it may be because I grew up in the video game age, no need for index finger on Nintendo, SNES, or Playstation (had to be good with the thumb to beat all of my buddies). So I never needed it in RC either.

Good point, never thought of it that way. That explains why when I tried to use thumb and finger it felt terrible. I had 1,000,000 hours using just thumbs on my nintendo as a kid!
Double-ditto! Every time I've tried to use both thumb & finger, it just wasn't comfortable. I've actually had students fly T-F, and I tell them to "stop doing that, and fly right!" I guess, based on the above response I'll let them control the sticks however they want......
Old 12-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

I use the thumb/forefinger style and have tried the thumb method just to see what is like. I can do ok with just thumbs and doesn't feel a lot different but I understand that if a person learns using only thumbs it feels very strange to use both. That is why I tell everyone I teach to fly to use the thumb/finger style and then after they have flown that way for awhile then they can try the thumb only method and choose which one they like. The guys I have talked to that fly competition pattern and the TOC type competitions tell me that the thumb and finger method is more precise.....Merry Christmas to all of you fellow pilots......Don
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Richard Buescher

I have very bad hand writing..... fortunately I use my thumbs only for flying.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
MAX EFFFORT

As previously mentioned , i think everyone can agree the [video game controller] factor has certainly influenced a lot of guys to be thumbers,,,imo,,i believe the poll would have gone to thm&fing by a large margin , if the video game industry had not been such an enormous success...when i try thumbs only ,[ i,m all thumbs ]...sorry had to throw that in.. here is one other little tip that seems to help me > with tx rate switchs right in front of sticks, i usually set them up so low is up and hi is down ,so that when in hi rate [ during wild maneuvers ] if i need to switch to lows, which at low alt ,3D, or in a panic , may need to be done very rapidly, i flick my forefinger [like flicking a buger] forward automatically, without thinking...after a while it becomes a reflex action, without ever having to take my eyes off the bird....rather than having them set up opposite, trying to find them, or keeping fingr on it/them..give it a try..works great
Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, no video games here, so I am a thumb and index finger guy.
Happy new year.
Rcpete
Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My handwriting is also terrible and I also subscribe to the opposing thumb thing... fingers hold the box and thumbs move the sticks.
But I can also use the thumb and finger method but it's not as comfortable.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got great handwriting but I was taught to fly as a thumbs only kid, then video games, then 27 years of thumb only and you get the idea. I would like to switch over the finger thumb but at this point I almost feel it would be of little benefit to me. Maybe I'll dust off the simulator and experiment a little this winter on electronic victims.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

This poll is only a little more than 2 years old. [X(]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
GrayUK

Thumb and finger with strap.

Happy new year all.

Paul
Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the shocker!!
I wish my TX had two big atari joysticks.
Scott
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been flying thumbs for 40+ years but how I wish I was a thumbs and fingers flyer when I want to fly smooth large precision manouvres.

However for RC combat and extreme 3D flying thumbs rule IMHO.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Eddie P

ORIGINAL: grbaker

This poll is only a little more than 2 years old. [X(]
A topic that clearly never goes out of style
Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

I learned to fly 14 years ago using my thumbs only. I switched over to thumb and index finger about two years ago. I recently tried to use just thumbs and it was very difficult to make smooth flight adjustments. I don't know how I ever flew before using just my thumbs. Thumbs and index fingers for me. I use a neck strap to help hold my transmitter along with three fingers on each hand. I have a BVM transmitter try that I tried, but it felt too strange with my other fingers not under the transmitter. I guess "if it feels good, do it."
Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thumbs for me. Tried thumb & forefinger with a tray for a while but I never felt comfortable with it. I guess you can't teach an old dog....................................

Do most of you thumb & forefinger guys fly mode 2? That may have something to do with it. I fly mode 1, what my mode 2 buddies call 'a bulldozer driver' ! - John.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

I learned to fly on thumbs only.. After a couple of years i switched to thumb and fingers because the "better" pilots at the field flew that way.. I almost crashed! I stuck with it though and learned to use thumbs and fingers.. Now i would not think of flying with thumbs only as i feel i have better contol with both.. I guess its a personal preference in the end though. Russ
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Eddie P

How long did it take you to transition to finger thumb? Any airplanes take a beating in the transition? Do you really find that besides a better feel, you fly more precisely?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

It took me about 2 months to get comfortable with it.. Start by putting your thumb on the stick as usual but just laying your finger on the top side, with time you will grab the stick with both.. No, luckily i did not crash, it was 12 years ago and i was only flying 4 channel mid and low wings at the time.. Russ