Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Qualification Aircraft >

Qualification Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Qualification Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 03:00 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qualification Aircraft

With all the discussion of Turbine waiver's made me think. Should a Kangaroo with a Pusher quilify? Since the Kangaroo is a turbine trainer anyway doesn't it make sense that a Prop powered Roo fit as a quilification aircraft?

Nice thing about it from what I read is the change from prop to turbine is fairly quick and easy. No need for a separate aircraft as we all probably have a 1.2 of something laying around to drive this.

How about it TCD's would you sign off a Waiver with a prop Roo?

Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 03:23 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VFR.....find out who the TCD is who will be giving you the check ride and ask them. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it just depends on the individual TCD. The AMA documents are "suggestions". Do whatever your TCD wants! Some of the TCD's from RCU may say that the Roo would be cool, but if YOUR TCD says it isn't...it doesn't matter what the people here think. All of the people I have encountered are more than willing to help you out with anything you need. Hook up with some local people and they should be able to lead you in the right direction. People who barely know me have bent over backwards trying to help me out...it's probably the same everywhere. Good luck.

Bob
Old 09-05-2002, 03:27 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Sideshow,

Actually this is more of a question than anything. I'm currently building a second Y/A Starfire to replace mine that went BOOM! I know the 2 TCD's in my area and they are both very helpful but with all the talk about changing the Waiver requirements from the JPO I started to think about this aircraft and would it meet what is being proposed.

I mean for someone who wants to get into flying Jet's this would be a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Or am I the only one who thinks like this?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:37 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Pusher roo

When we flew the pusher roo at Joe Nall this year with the moki 1.35 on it, Don Lowe was present. In a discussion I had with him later he thought that it was a good candidate for the qualification process and that the rules called for a plane capable of 150 mph.
Again it is up to the check out guy but what better test than to fly the actual plane you will fly when you put your turbine on it!
Don Kanak
Planes Plus Inc
Old 09-05-2002, 02:41 PM

For a long while I was seriously considering getting the TGA topcat. It can be fitted with a DF setup, then converted to turbine rather easily. Seems like a very logical thing to do. I would think that your starfire could make a good waiver aircraft too.

I made the appointment for my check out flight this morning for the end of this month. I know changing the process is just a rumor but I want to get it done ASAFP!

Bob

Bob
Old 09-06-2002, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sideshow
I made the appointment for my check out flight this morning for the end of this month. I know changing the process is just a rumor but I want to get it done ASAFP!
Bob - the way you talk about getting your waiver before the process changes... kinda makes it sound like you think you're gonna pass that check-ride on the 29th. I don't know what has given you that impression, since I haven't even had an enquiry from you yet about what brand of Single Malt Scotch I drink... ;-) Just kiddin of course - I actually can't stand Scotch, so a cute young lady would be a much better bribe !!

See ya in about 3 weeks,
Gordon
Old 09-06-2002, 03:29 PM

Thats why I want to start now, I figured after 4 or 5 attempts you'll just take pity on me and get me out of your hair.

I just got home from putting 5 more flights on the Patriot. There was a 14 mph cross wind. I figured it would be good practice...if not that fun.

How about a bottle of wine? THAT, I've got. I only have one of the other thing....and I'm keeping her.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sideshow
Thats why I want to start now, I figured after 4 or 5 attempts you'll just take pity on me and get me out of your hair.

LOL ! You could be right !! Or, I'll just become mysteriously unavailable after the 3rd attempt, and palm you off on Mr Huhn ! ;-)

How about a bottle of wine? THAT, I've got.

Nah... all joking aside, seeing someone successfully and safely make the transition to turbines is reward enough for any the jet guys I know. It would make me feel bad if you took my joke seriously, and tried to turn me into an alcofrolic...

I only have one of the other thing....and I'm keeping her.

Dude - that's selfish ! Didn't your parents ever teach you to play nice and share with all the other kids ? ;-)

Sounds like you're getting plenty experience with the Patriot. I think you'll find that this turns out like they say in the Military - "Train hard, fight easy" .... you're probably putting enough effort into the prep work that the check-flight itself should be a no-brainer. There - hows that for putting some pressure on you to peform ? ;-)

BTW, when you get the Bobcat, feel free to gimme a call (or drop by) if you want to discuss the construction etc.

See ya soon,
Gordon