Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ducted Fan Trainers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ducted Fan Trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 11:22 PM
lagCisco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducted Fan Trainers?

Anyone know of any ducted fan trainers? I remember a long time ago seeing one that looked somewhat like This

or any other model that isnt as complex as a say F15 or F16.. something simple to build.. and cheap!

also.. i'd like to use an OS 46FX, is that possible? do any models and fans fit with that engine?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 AM
DF_Flyer

If you want a DF trainer that flies well on a hot sport engine like the O. S. .46FX, try to find a Fantrainer kit. They are no longer in production (that I know of, at least), but the Fantrainer is a simple D/F plane. It uses a 10" 3-bladed prop in a plywood duct mounted a little behind the wing. It will give you some of the flying characteristics of a more complex D/F for about the same price as a sport plane. Since the fan is out in the open, it is farily simple to maintain and fly. The only drawback is that the Fantrainer has a face only a mother could love. If you can't find the kit anywhere and are a good builder, I think that Model Airplane News sells the plans. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Tamecat

I've been tellin some folks here to get a Regal Eagle, but you sound like you want something different. I would suggest that you scratch build your own DF plane. I've built two. One was too heavy and I'm almost finished with the second one. My first one was the Specat Jaguar. It is basically a big box. Took a year to build. The problem with this one was I use thick wood (1/4")everywhere. (I didn't know what I was doing.) The final results was a great looking plane that wouldn't fly without at least five miles of runway. I'll build another one since I know what to do.
The second plane is the AMX. It will fly with a turbax 1 and K&B4.5DF. Again, another plane that is simply a box. This one was more of a challenge to build because of size, weight, and compound curves. This plane has a mid wing. (What a nightmare!!) But that the fun of this hobby. If you can't find something that suits your needs, then make it yourself.

Both planes started out as three views from a military magazine, and blown up. (I used an overhead projector making sure the front was perpendicular to the wall). Then I copied the outlines. One word of caution, make sure you lay out where everything goes before you cut wood. (fuel,servos,lines,etc), Saves plenty of time trying to figure that stuff out later. (Jaguar) If you have any questions. just ask. I love to scratch build.

Tamecat
Old 09-07-2002, 02:26 AM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FanTrainer

The earlier post about a kit fro the RFB-600 Fantrainer being out of production is correct.....has been since '92 or '93. I designed a Mk 1 version in '97 adn redesigned it for a Flying Models plan in 2000 (June,2000 issue I believe).
It can be built as a fixed gear, or retracts can be installed. Top speed si only 80 mph or so, but you can do every aerobatic trick in you skill, and then pass the transmitter around. (Ok, I'm biased, but at the GSW a few years ago we had 7 people on the sticks in one flight.)
Add to the fact that it will only set you back about $100 dollars, adn uses an inexpensive ASP or Super Tiger engine......
Check it out at Carstons Publications....it's a fun airplane.
Greg
Old 09-07-2002, 04:19 PM
DF_Flyer

rcdoc,

I have a fantrainer kit that has been "aging to perfection" in my basement, but your comments have got me thinking about building it this winter.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:31 PM
1930wl
My Feedback: (1)

Default JET TRAINER

Here's a nice one, the Cyberhawk
Beta designed by Bob Parks.

Unfortunately, he decided not to produce it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	25000_998.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	15687  
Old 09-09-2002, 12:46 AM
Terry Holston

Default Re: JET TRAINER

Originally posted by Me 262
Here's a nice one, the Cyberhawk
Beta designed by Bob Parks.

Unfortunately, he decided not to produce it.
Bob did produce a few kits of the Cyberhawk, but when they were sold out he decided not to do any more.

I guess he didn't want the hassle of kit manufacturing.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:43 AM
1930wl

Default Re: Re: JET TRAINER

Originally posted by Terry Holston

Bob did produce a few kits of the Cyberhawk, but when they were sold out he decided not to do any more.

I guess he didn't want the hassle of kit manufacturing.
Yes, he produced 21 proof of concept (Beta) kits to be used to develop/proof instructions and to determine how smart a potential builder needed to be. I was selected as the dumb one; if I could build it anyone could.

Mine was the first (of 21) to fly. There are three completed and flying as I write.

Bob's professional demands are apparently such that he doesn't have time to build, much less "hassle" with kit production.