Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AT 400 survey

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AT 400 survey

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT 400 survey

I am considering the AT400 for a EuroSport project, I would like to here as many comments GOOD or Bad about this Turbine and the support from AMT/USA. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DM
Old 04-12-2005, 10:42 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: AT 400 survey

How large diameter is the exhaust tailpipe ?
will it fit the eurosport?
Or maybe you are going with a Y pipe ?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Delta Mike

Yes we would be using Tams 2"3/8 Bifucated pipe...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good pipe for that airplane, I had one.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Delta Mike

Man Sean, I wish I would of known that before I payed $350.. Thanks anyway, I apreciate it. What happened to your Euro? DM
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
seanreit

P160 seized in flight, fire out front of turbine on final with deadstick landing, all looking good and then airplane decided to fall from sky off to the right. My spotter said "what'd you do that for". The only dumb ass response I could come up with was "I gave up".

Anyway, got another Euro, will fly it soon, but went with single pipe on this one. Somday I'll build one with bifurcated
Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

great engine. fastest throttle response that I've ever experienced. good service from the boyz in the factory.

it's a no kidding 39=42 lbs of blow coming out the back end of the engine.

if you want to know anything more specific about my experience feel free to e-mail or PM directly

I'll respond as soon as I can

take care

buck

what's the matter Mike don't trust me? just kidding bro'. good luck with yoru decision

Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Delta Mike

Sean, Did you loose much thrust withthe Bi Pipe? Man, I would hate to of been in your shoes on that one......... D-
Old 04-12-2005, 11:22 AM
seanreit

I don't think there was measureable loss over a single pipe. I could climb vertical full of fuel to about 300 feet before it petered out.

About two minutes into the flight I had unlimited accelerated verticle. It was a very nice fun jet to fly. I would routinely put 10 flights a day on the airplane. Got just over 100 flights on it before it went in. Unconditionally the most fun I ever had in jets thus far.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Delta Mike

Thanks Sean for your input. We have a guy in our Club that is running the Merlin M160 in a Euro. With full fuel and smoke he can rotate on takeoff and go vertical unlimited... FULL FUEL.... I am considering this as an option. Just nnot sure of its over all relability, consisering it is a new company and a new design. Time will tell, however promising.... DM
Old 04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
seanreit

I should have my own data on a merlin powered Euro on a single pipe full of fuel in a week or two. Can't wait to report back
Old 04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Delta Mike

Hi Buck, Thanks again for all your input on the 400. I am still a little undecided, hopfull I will comit on one soon. I have researched building my own eliminator. You can do it for under $200... What preasure do you start at when you pull off your scuba tank??? thanks Dennis
Old 04-12-2005, 02:21 PM
yeahbaby

Mike

when I fill the eliminator with the scuba tank (minimizes drain on the battery) I'll top it off at 120psi.

my experience with the 400/olympus usually consumed anywhere to 30-40psi

however, keep it in Auto so that when it drops below 80? psi the compressor will kick in and give you that little extra oomph to keep the air going to the engine while the fuel pump kicks in.

unplug after start up and the eliminator will be topped off for the next run at the completion of the flight. nice piece of gear and yup, you can build one for less but not if you're using the same components (so I'm told)

I guess the compressor (cadillac ride suspension) is the biggest ticket item. nice and quiet

c'ya

buck
Old 04-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Delta Mike

I found high end pumps for around $150.. you can even get the China copys for around $50.......... with the suspension of a Lexus :-)
Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
yeahbaby

good to go
Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Hi Mike, I own 6 Amt USA engines and love em all. The AT 400 is probably there best all around engine they make now. The most true thrust for the size, new ECU which gives many options, full electric start ( i own), air start with on board propane, or full airstart with seperate propane. The engine it self has awesome throttle up and instant throttle down. at one point it was pricey, but now it is in line and a great value knowing you will not have a flame out. My .02 cents.

Kevin Marks
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Delta Mike

THanks Kevin, My main concern is relability, I have talked to a couple guys and AMT about earlier problems with the 400. AMT claims they have all the bugs worked out. I just want to get as much real word operating opinions as I can. I havent found anyone yet that has more than about 60 flights without issue on the 400. However, I do expect that anytime you have a new design you can expect issues. I work in aviation so it goes the same in the full scale world... Thanks again Kevin, I greatly appreciate your comments..

Blue Skys,

Dennis
Old 11-10-2005, 02:12 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

stay away from this engine !!! mine just siezed the 4th time !
Old 11-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPS and Fed express loves the 400, they make a killing on shipping them to and from AMT and the customer!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Doctor J.

Dear Mr. Wojtek

I do believe that you have had some issues with your engine. I also beleive that I informed you that your repair has a six month parts and labor warranty against manufactures defects. We at the new AMT although not perfect, will do our best to make you and all our customers successful. By the way I gave you our ups account number to ship your engine back. That means although inconvenient, it will not cost you one penny in shipping or service. I invite you or anyone to compare the quality and reliability of our product to any others out there. A simple test would be to just count the engine failures and flame-outs that you see. By the way! We at the new AMT have only had your engine once. At that time we split the cost with you. If you have any issues call me.

John Ligons
AMTUSA
Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

John, I have im fact had and continue to have issues with my AT400 engine. Though I do feel bad that you ( the new owners) are dealing with this mess Jim left behind, I will continue to express my dissatisfaction with the engine until it either runs flawlessly like it was advertised to me when I bought it, and like it is being promised that it will. My beef is with the AMT product, not the new folk who own the company. When I bought my engine, a lot of the AMT rep knew of the issues, yet I continued to be marketed to, and bought several AMTs in the process. Since reps con not be counted on to be honest, I believe I as a user should be saying something. Not meaning any harm to you, I do feel all at400 owners should know that there are STILL potential issues with these ... Several of these engines are in high end aircraft costing over $20K ... I’d hate to see anyone loose an airplane ... I was fortunate mine is in a king cat which can somewhat glide ... I’m glad I do not have one of these going in my big Rafale , or CAR Raptor, or any other projects I have coming up. I do really hope you can get these reliable again. As for personal experience with different brands, none of the 12 jet cats i have owned ever flamed out on me (except due to my error , such as low bat, or running out of fuel, etc .. ) My friends own several simjets, and Artes engines, and i have never witnessed any of these failing to the engines fault either .. any issues that did come up, were immediately and properly taken care of .. As for my AMT experience.... 4 seizures later, my warranty HAS NOT been honored, and the engine has been sent in for repair AGAIN .. Will i feel safe running this engine again ?? probably not .. AMT has taken the joy out of my king cat and ruined a large part of my flying season already. I was really confident that finally the new team at Cincinnati has resolved the actual issue with the at400, but I guess new bearings and enlarging the holes in the tunnel to proper spec was not necessarily the fix, and other issues may exist ... Again, i do feel bad for the boys in OH that have to deal with what they bought from Jim ... What I would really like at this point is a new engine, but doubtful that will ever happen, I would be even willing to sell it back to AMT for a depreciated value of what I originally paid for it, I guess I will just be stuck with this one that has been apart and back together 1/2 a dozen times, and still failing. As for the warranty issue, I will say I was initially lead to believe that the warranty was going to be honored... all the way until my engine was sent in and several week later finally made it to the repair bench .. I was then told there was going to be a bill for it .. Again, I understand AMT's new owner's position, but then again, I’m an extremely upset and disappointed, irritated, and very disgruntled customer. John, I know you would rather have this hashed out privately, but i do not believe in that .. RCU is like consumer reports, and other users/customers need to know of potential issues .. I wish AMT reps would have been forthcoming and honest in the past, and i would have been spared this agony.. For the sake of the guys in Cincinnati, I hope all ends up working out, and AMT proves to be a profitable venture for you , for now I’m strictly sticking with JetCat and the wonderful warranty service Bob Wilcox provides .. I no longer feel like being a guinea pig .. If I get this engine back running, I will report back on weather or not it actually runs. As for the free shipping back for repair, that’s the least I’d expect … I already paid over $300 for a repair which should have been under warranty, just to almost loose $12K+ 4 flight later .. I had an interesting discussion with my lawyer (friend) about this situation, and if it came down to a “legal” resolution, the new Cincinnati team would still be responsible for every penny of warranty work, even a full refund if I wanted to take it that route. It was illegal for Jim ( under the UCC and FTC regs) to sell the asset portion of his company without transferring the liabilities or facilitating for these to be fulfilled. AMT out of Cincinnati also continued to have the original AMTUSA web site up ( with their new contact info and all) for several months after the transaction, which included info on warranties, etc … anyway, I’m not going down that path, especially as I do in fact feel you were a bit screwed yourself in acquiring AMT .. again, pease do not take this personally, its not you or any of your current staff i have an issue with ( well, bessides some misleading info back in the past ... ) … All I want is a RELIABLE engine that RUNS, preferably a new one …

Also, how come all the reps are bailing ???

Wojtek
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said...it is not even SLIGHTLY legal for them not to honor the warranty.
I know, I got beat up again for saying that last week, but I was right, and that is that.
You canNOT suddenly say "we are Advanced MINIATURE Turbines instead of Advanced MICRO Turbines" and think you can get away with getting out of the liabilities. Sorry, you bought the bad with the good.
That's the law. Deal with it. Honor the warranties.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The 400 and 450 are available in electric start now. No need for the eleminator. The 180 and 280 will have it very soon.

The General
AMT Rep
Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

This Rep is not bailing!!!!!

The General
Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are we gonna do if the new guys at AMT decide that this business venture of theirs looks as though it's not going to be as profitable as hoped and close up shop??? I would not like to have an expensive paper weight...They are already dumping the CAI line due to being more than they could chew. (Shame---I wanted to at least see the F-100 and Panther kits be made available again) I'm not trying to start a rumor so let's nip that idea right here---I'm just being a realist if it comes down to the new AMT owners having to legally honor the previous owners' warranties. Just as an example: I had a car that was in an accident and repaired at the local dealership. The car had a lifetime warranty on all of the paint/repairs. The dealership was sold and the paint on my car was failing. The new dealership owners would not honor the warranty. I sued in court and represented myself in the proceedings--And won!! I can't help but feel that the new owners of AMT might be facing the same dilemma as my local dealership.....However, legalities vary from state to state...

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.