Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

hehe...as if i knew it was cracked......

I only saw the crack afterwards on an old picture i took when i replaced the bearings.
I had no ide what to look for until the wheel failed.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
BJ64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SJN

It happened inflight.
It kept runing, but it sure made a strange noise at low rpm

There was a fault in the blade when i bought it.

I took pictures of it before the failure, and comparing before and after, you can actualy see the fault lines in the blade
Hmmm... it almost looks like that blade has copped a bit of a whack in that first pic. As in it's more of a dent rather than a crack - like it got jammed in something?

Or a flaw in metallurgy during casting?

BJ
Old 02-28-2010, 03:44 AM
fw190pilot

SJN

The older JetJoes simply crimped the end of the lube line to resrict flow. The newer engines use a 26 gauge hypodermic needle has a restrictor.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 AM
SJN

Thanks.

That is a simple solution.........but i dont realy want to disasemble the engine right now to do so.
Ill see how it goes with my brass restrictor.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
WingmanM

I recently purcahsed a Jet Joe 1200 MK2 kit from Mark at Jet Joe Central. I am extremely happy with my Jet Joe and thrilled with the support that I have received from Mark. My 1200 started up the first time. I am not very happy with the Jet Joe bashing that RC Universe allows to run rampant through this "Jet Joe Owners" Forum. I won't be back to RC Universe. Mark can answer all of the questions that I have. R Moore, J.D.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SJN

Thanks.

That is a simple solution.........but i dont realy want to disasemble the engine right now to do so.
Ill see how it goes with my brass restrictor.
Too much and too little fuel/oil/mix can be a problem allowing the bearings to skid causing flats. The flow rate is usually small, more a drip feed onto the front bearing and on through to the rear.

Paul
Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
BJ64

Hmmm....is that 'Free Jet Power Magazine' still on offer these days Paul?

BJ
Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
sKrUb_69

I agree with Wingman... I was outside this morning enjoy this cool morning in Texas, drinking coffee, smoking my cigs and reading my latest RCJet International.. They have a article on the history of the RC gas turbine engines. Well much to my surprise at the very very end of the article there they go, bashing Jet Joe... If Im correct, doesnt all turbine engines today use the same concept? Even gas engines and nitro engines work the same way. Just because Jet Joe used the same design as wern doesnt mean they deserve all the bashing. I have a AMT USA 180. I took it apart and it was a little different the my Joe, but the concept was the same. It had a deffuser, combustion chamber, evaportor tubes, ngv , and a turbine wheel at the end. Well just wanted to vent on this I have been reading this thred for a long time. I have a mk1200 kit and I only started t 2 times, and both time it started right up, but im not sure if I have everything right. Im very paticent so I dont want to rush to run it again... well if you other Jet Joe owners want to read up on the article i spoke about buy the latest magazine. Oh yeah on last tid bit..... Before A magazine goes and bashes a turbine company, they need to think about there track record... I have seen a thread here saying that they are always late putting out there magazine on time and people have already paid for there perscriptions and to be late so many times.... hmmmmm...

well happy flying guys...
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
mnsi
My Feedback: (48)

Sup Chris, long time no talk bro. How is the F-18 kit coming along? Here is a good one, Toyota, Yamaha (outboards) and the like have always copied other people and you know what? It will always be that way, I think all of the original ideas expired along time ago. Many guys cannot afford a 2500 to 3000 dollar turbine, at least the JJ's are affordable and it gets many people in the hobby that other wise would not be buying kits, radios, retracts wheels ect ect. Take all of those purchased products out of the equation considering our economic times and many of these suppliers would be worse off than they allready are. Leave the people alone who purchase what they can afford, its like buying a car, sure it might be a rust bucket but if it gets the guy to work and back who cares, one day he will save up for a sports car. I think this is still America were people have the right to live freely without the fear of persecution or discrimination. Maybe all you haters need to go to a communist country for a bit.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
sKrUb_69

hey mnsi whats going on? well the f-18 has been on hold due to the economy... well let be honest "doesnt help the fact i fried the bearings in my amt 180" grrrr. going to cost about 600.00 bucks for the bearing job at Micro Jets formaly known as amt usa... but all is good working on a super falcon 120 with a jj 1200 on it but saving up for the retracts by digatech. The falcon is also known to be a knock off of the BVM Bobcat which I dont care due to the fact that I gutted and deskinned the whole thing and going over everything and gooing to glass the wings and booms. But I have to find the pics of the f-18 and send you some of my progress... So hows bussinees there for ya? well gota go wife told me i have 5 mins to get ready so I can fly for a hr or so at the park with my electrics planes.... happy flyin guys...
Old 03-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mnsi

Sup Chris, long time no talk bro. How is the F-18 kit coming along? Here is a good one, Toyota, Yamaha (outboards) and the like have always copied other people and you know what? It will always be that way, I think all of the original ideas expired along time ago. Many guys cannot afford a 2500 to 3000 dollar turbine, at least the JJ's are affordable and it gets many people in the hobby that other wise would not be buying kits, radios, retracts wheels ect ect. Take all of those purchased products out of the equation considering our economic times and many of these suppliers would be worse off than they allready are. Leave the people alone who purchase what they can afford, its like buying a car, sure it might be a rust bucket but if it gets the guy to work and back who cares, one day he will save up for a sports car. I think this is still America were people have the right to live freely without the fear of persecution or discrimination. Maybe all you haters need to go to a communist country for a bit.

You guys are either incredibly dim or you just don't want to admit the obvious.

So if Toyota bought a Nissan Altima, copied it directly, piece for piece, slapped a Toyota emblem on it and sold it for half price (even though it would not run worth a darn), you think that would be OK, right? Wow, some people......
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
mnsi

As a matter of fact Suzuki outboards in the beginning did just that with a low understanding of electrolysis and guess what today they are some of the best outboards, as did Mercury with fuel injection they copied from Yamaha. If all you can do is flame people here why not just look at yourself in the mirror and pat yourself on the back, go play in traffic or better yet go start your own forum thread and call it "Egotistical Idiots" as for me I consider you nothing but a communist who just degrades people.

Hey Chris, yea I hear ya I went from $295,000 a year the last 3 years to just over 30,000 this year (Thank you politicians!!) but I am glad to hear you are still working on the Y/A F-18. I am also in the middle of doing a Falcon with alot of Carbon Fiber composites, going to stick a 18lb turbine on it, see how it does.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM
sKrUb_69

Wow.... sorry to hear about the bussiness... yeah I agree with you about our goverment, its the best goverment money can buy... we now have a president who is transforming our country into being a communist country... let's bail out all the big guys and screw all the little people and give grants to all who wish to come to this country to have a better life but screw the americans who weren't born with a silver spoon in there mouth to have a good life... I want to start my own bussiness , but sba loans are tuff to get if your a american...

Oh yeah I've noticed on my bosses boat, the motor has valvo written on top but on the valve cover it says vortec which is chevy... weried.

Well for all the bashers out there and haters of all of us folks that don't make a lot of money because we don't have a higher education then you, well you can keep bashing us and keep sayin what you want, your not going to stop us from buying a product that can deliver they same effect as other products do on the market...

Again happy flyin boys... keep up the fourm cause I will need some advise on what to set up my ecu on my jj 1200...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmmm....You don't have to have a Political Science degree to know that you don't know the definition of Communism
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
sKrUb_69

Well considering the goverment is trying to pass the stupid health bill
Which if you look at it will contorl how our health care works... and when
They can tell you who, when and if you can have the surgery to me that's comunisim...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
pulsar110
My Feedback: (5)

Ok so I have a little problem and Im not sure what to do so would the guys that are here for the real reason of this thread please help me? My 1400 seems to have an issue and I have no idea where it came from. I have it mounted to run on a board so that I could learn how it all works and figure things out. Anyway I ran a tank of fuel thru it and shut it down, all was normal in this run. When I went to start it the next time it said Glow Bad, so I turned it all off and replaced the plug. The same thing happened, when I pulled the plug the element was completely melted down. So I brought it home and put the multi meter on the plug wires to see what it read and it had the same voltage as the starter battery. When I unplugged that battery the voltage dropped to a little over a volt. So what the heck happened here?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
mnsi

Hello,
You need to check the glow setting on the ecu it should be anywhere from 20 to 30,, best way is to put the multi meter into the plug socket and hit the test glowplug and actually see how much voltage you are putting out and adjust it on the ecu.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say the output mosfet has gone, chances are the glow plug lead got shorted out.

Easy enough to replace by anyone electronic minded, I have fixed a few in the past
Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
pulsar110

the setting for teh glow plug was well within that range. just made so sense that it would all of a sudden be that high. the MOFSET being out makes sense to me. ill have a look. have you been inside the regal ECU and would you happen to know which one by chance?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: pulsar110

Ok so I have a little problem and Im not sure what to do so would the guys that are here for the real reason of this thread please help me? My 1400 seems to have an issue and I have no idea where it came from. I have it mounted to run on a board so that I could learn how it all works and figure things out. Anyway I ran a tank of fuel thru it and shut it down, all was normal in this run. When I went to start it the next time it said Glow Bad, so I turned it all off and replaced the plug. The same thing happened, when I pulled the plug the element was completely melted down. So I brought it home and put the multi meter on the plug wires to see what it read and it had the same voltage as the starter battery. When I unplugged that battery the voltage dropped to a little over a volt. So what the heck happened here?

Uh-oh... you didn't short the glow lead to earth anywhere along the line?

It's really easy to push down too hard on that 90 deg plug boot and touch the electrode wire on to the body of the plug without even realising that you've done it.

Shorting the plug lead usually screws your FADEC... *sowwy*

BJ
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

I'd say the output mosfet has gone, chances are the glow plug lead got shorted out.

Easy enough to replace by anyone electronic minded, I have fixed a few in the past
You got any pics of that anywhere Xair?

I'd like to keep some for future reference, just in case I ever have to do a running repair

Come to think of it, if I know the part number/s, I might just get a couple and keep them with me in case I ever do an *oopsie* in the field...

BJ
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
sKrUb_69

Okay sorry for getting off topic... just tired of the basher of JJ owners.... Okay back to the thread...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM
pulsar110

Its all good Chris, I had a conversation with him a few pages back too. There is no winning those folks over. Great thing the free country we live in so that we can have our own ways.

As for me touching the leads I have no idea if I did or not. Its entirely possible that I did it by accident.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: pulsar110

Its all good Chris, I had a conversation with him a few pages back too. There is no winning those folks over. Great thing the free country we live in so that we can have our own ways.

As for me touching the leads I have no idea if I did or not. Its entirely possible that I did it by accident.
Yah - I'm forever mindful to make sure I don't do it. But, the way that plug boot is contsructed, it's almost impossible to know you've done it if you're not vigilant while clipping it on.

I always try to 'feel' mine onto the top groove of my plug. It sometimes takes me a couple of goes, but I'd rather it slip off because it's too high than go low and short on me. And it's pretty unforgiving if you do...

BJ
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM
SJN

Mine also burnt on my Fadec.

Replaced the FET, and it works again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52599.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1393259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76015.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1393260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42303.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1393261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18246.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1393262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54605.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1393263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev24964.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1393264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km99114.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1393265  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.