Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Composite-ARF Rookie w/canards -NEW INFO on CG 7/12

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Composite-ARF Rookie w/canards -NEW INFO on CG 7/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Composite-ARF Rookie w/canards -NEW INFO on CG 7/12

Guys,

I just finished my new Sunset Rookie with the new canards. Looks GREAT, and super job of painting in the molds, but am a little surprised with the flight characteristics. Per Composite-ARF, I balanced it 100 mm ahead of the wing tube (as directed), but to get that, had to move everything as far back as possible. The airplane flies pretty well, but does hunt a little in level flight, and also snaps when slow. When I drop the speed brake (90 degrees) the nose comes up and it takes some forward stick to hold it - never had a problem like that with the old style Rookie. Has anyone else out there got theirs together and what did you find when you flew it?

According to Marc Fruen, the wing is the same on the new Rookie as the old, so the CG should be the same - my understanding of a delta wing with canards is that the canards move the center of lift forward (depending on the amount of lift they generate), but CF says it should be the same as the old Rookie - am I wrong about this or should the CG be moved forward some?

I've had 3 standard Rookies before this new one and love the way they all flew, but this one is really a little strange. Advice appreciated!!

BTW, I understand a new instruction book is on the way, mine had the old Rookie book, and didn't address any of the canard installation or throws, but the Rep was most helpful getting that info.

Regards, Les
Old 07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Default RE: New Composite-ARF Rookie w/canards

HI JETJOCKEY
Can you forward me the info on the canard install and throws , mine also came with out instuctions ,
Thanks JOHN"
[email protected]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I would expect the cg to be a bit farther forward. Guys flying the super reaper have found that if flies even better with the cg quite a bit forward from where Mick Reeves recommended.. it is sorta similar platform, if that is any help.....
Old 07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The aerodynamic center moves forward so the CG has to move forward a bit to achieve the same stabibity margin (IIRC). How much is a matter of exact geometry and is a question best left for Mr. Parks.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:46 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetjockey

Guys,

I just finished my new Sunset Rookie with the new canards. Looks GREAT, and super job of painting in the molds, but am a little surprised with the flight characteristics. Per Composite-ARF, I balanced it 100 mm ahead of the wing tube (as directed), but to get that, had to move everything as far back as possible. The airplane flies pretty well, but does hunt a little in level flight, and also snaps when slow. When I drop the speed brake (90 degrees) the nose comes up and it takes some forward stick to hold it - never had a problem like that with the old style Rookie. Has anyone else out there got theirs together and what did you find when you flew it?

According to Marc Fruen, the wing is the same on the new Rookie as the old, so the CG should be the same - my understanding of a delta wing with canards is that the canards move the center of lift forward (depending on the amount of lift they generate), but CF says it should be the same as the old Rookie - am I wrong about this or should the CG be moved forward some?

I've had 3 standard Rookies before this new one and love the way they all flew, but this one is really a little strange. Advice appreciated!!

BTW, I understand a new instruction book is on the way, mine had the old Rookie book, and didn't address any of the canard installation or throws, but the Rep was most helpful getting that info.

Regards, Les
well Marc Frohn forgot something:
that is since you have canards you have more lift in the front
so the CG has to move forward!
Before they did the canards
we allready made a rookie with canards
and yes we moved the CG to 110-120mm otherwise it is to light (let it nose down a little)
and you could end up in a flat spin as we did
the trows we set to 13mm in up and 10mm in down
make sure you can control the trim seperatly

in flight:

nice rolls
better corners
BUT if you fly fast and you pull up fully it could trow its backend over (flipover)(full power with a 30lbs turbine)
do this at a good high altitude

landing
put a separate channel to control a nose up situation on controlling the canards together with the airbrake
and watch it land smoothly

Old 07-12-2005, 04:20 AM
trevor Skedge

Les,

I have flown mine with the C of G at 130mm ahead of the front of the wing spar. This figure was given to me by Comp ARF and is pretty much spot on. none of the characteristics you describe. Lands absolutly perfectly.

Trevor Skedge.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:54 AM
cairoman

{Hello Chris,

currently there is no manual for the new Rookie yet, they are all shipped with the old style instructions.
Anyway 95% of the waorks are the same, only the Canards are new. Even the CG remains.

kind regards,

Marc Froehn }

The above is what I received from Comp-Arf, six weeks ago. Glad, I did not touch the model until today, I could have crashed and never know what hit me.

Thanks for the info. I do hope to download the new manual sometime soon, before I get it in the air.

Chris
Old 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

OK, Guys,

Mystery Solved!!!! We were right about moving the CG forward when you add canards to the basic design. Larry Tudor (CF Rep) called me on the phone last night, and Andreas Geitz (Owner of CF) emailed me this morning with correct information. Quite an impressive and fast response, I'd say! Anyway, both Larry and Andreas instructed me to place the CG at 130mm ahead of the wing tube (30 mm further forward than the old instructions say for the original Rookie). Also the starting point for the canards is plus/minus 20 - 25 mm. I have mine set at +- 10 mm now, but will increase the throw as instructed. My starting point for the neutral canard is the eyebrow molding on the fuse. Andreas also said the canards could be programmed to turn 80 degrees to the direction of flight for an effective airbrake, but I think I'll wait until later to experiment with that for myself. Andreas apologized for the lack of new instructions, but said the first six kits shipped before the new instructions were finished. Evidently I received one of the new ones.. Frankly, I'm impressed with everything about the new machine -- especially the finish, and if these corrections cure the CG problem (and I'm sure they will), I know I'm really gonna like it.

I'll make the corrections this week and plan on flying it this weekend - weather permitting. I'll post again with my results when I get through flying it with the CG moved forward to the 130mm point.

Thanks for all the responses and information from everyone. Sure glad there was no harm done with the wrong CG. Evidently, it's a pretty good design to have flown as well as it did with the CG almost 1 1/2" too far back, but it was controllable, just a little weird to fly.

Regards, Les
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
re5pect

Cairoman???? NO!!!!! Chickenman