Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

LIPO and RAM ECU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

LIPO and RAM ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM
arrow 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIPO and RAM ECU

Anybody using LIPO with the RAM ECU ? I am trying to save some weight on my RAM 500 powered jet.

Gilles P.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Paul Turbine Jet Man

Default RE: LIPO and RAM ECU

not with the ram but Li-pos work fine. i LOVE them. ecu , reciver , smoke . i plan on using li-pos for all of these in my next jet. will post pics later 3 + weeks away.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have sucessfully used Duralites (3 cell, 3600 mah, Li-Ion) on a Ram in the past with zero issues.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: arrow 5

Anybody using LIPO with the RAM ECU ? I am trying to save some weight on my RAM 500 powered jet.

Gilles P.
Not a Ram here either..... JetCat's... do be very careful about the type of Lipo you use! My suggestion is that you choose a battery with over charge fail-safe circuity built into the battery, and the charger!!! Some Lipo chargers allow you to manually select voltage output, use the auto voltage detect!!

If Lipo's are over-charged they Will ruin your day! Lipo's are not like the metal enclosed Ni-cad batteries your used to. Most are packaged in a light foil wrapping, if that foil packaging is broken.. combustion is automatic!

I can not stress how important the proper handling of today's Lipo's is...for the most part they are a product intended for other electronic applications not used open and freely as we do.. stuck anywhere in the airplane as many of us have done!
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62952.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	302096  
Old 07-27-2005, 07:09 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: arrow 5

Gilles P.
Gilles,
I currently run Lithium Ions on my RAM1000 and it works fine and I can get about 6 starts and cool downs. I tried on my RAM500 and for the first 2 starts you are good to go, but after that it's a no go. The starter motor pulls way to much power on the 500 for it to last. I tried mine with a 7.4 volt 4800 mah pack. Off the charger it reads 8.4 but after the first 2 starts it is down to 7.7 - 7.9 and after that the starter motor will not spin on its own. If you hit it with air from a blower and then start the ignition sequence while it is spinning at about 500 RPM then it will start and run fine, but from a stand still after 2 runs it will not go on it's own.

My ECU version is the C02C, anything before that it would spin the motor on the first attempt but that was it.

Have to agree with Lee on the fact that you have to be very careful with LiPOs. That is why i only use LiIon, they are a little bit more rugged and they are built into a metal can. Also, get the charger that has built in charge safe circuitry but not the battery. I have had 2 friends who's charge safe circuitry gave up the ghost and they were unable to charge their batteries which put them out of flying until they got replacement batteries. If you really want the double charge safe protection, get a charger with it and go to FMA Direct's website and look for the Kokam Lipo-Guard. It is a device that you wire in between your charger and your battery which prevents overcharging of the battery if the safeguard in the charger fails and since the kokam device is wired into the charge leads, if it goes bad you just disconnect it from your charge lead and reaplace it.

Patrick

Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
NicholasT

I've been using 2 Cell 2000mah lipo. I can get around 4 starts without any problems.
using it on RAM 500 for the past 1 year already.
Thx,
NICK
Old 07-27-2005, 10:13 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: NicholasT

I've been using 2 Cell 2000mah lipo. I can get around 4 starts without any problems.
using it on RAM 500 for the past 1 year already.
Thx,
NICK
Nickolas,
Please share with us more information about your setup. Manufacturer of your battery, ECU version, anything special you had to do to get it to work, etc.

This could be helpful in sorting out the problem with my motor.

Patrick.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:55 AM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

I'm planning to try using an Wren Eco ECU and manual start to reduce the flying weight of my RAM500, as suggested by John Agnew (See the thread RAM Revitalized). A different approach. Will see how it goes.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
jet76
My Feedback: (33)

Im using a 1250 two cell lipo (8.4) on my ram 500 co2 version. I have about 20 some flights since swithing from nicds. As a matter of fact i had recently received seven fligthts off of one charge up at windy city jets, Five starts and two hot feuls, With the last start ecu was reading 7.26 . Needless to say i am very happy with the set up. One important thing i had to change in the parameter was the plug setting (needed to lower the voltage a bit.) By the way this baby will be for sale in a couple of weeks. (going bigger) Ben
Old 07-28-2005, 11:06 AM
NicholasT

HI Patrick,
I will take the pictures , battery detail, as well all the parameter of ECU over the weekend.
Then I will post it here.
Thx n Brg,
NICK
Old 07-31-2005, 08:26 AM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am currently using Duralites on both ecu and receiver in all my Ram powered jets. I am getting at least 8 flights with my new ecu. The current C02C and C03 level ecu's will get about half that number of flights. The reason is the new ecu has a new more powerful microprocessor and also works at a lower supply voltage. When the start motor first comes on it draws a lot of current and because of the higher resistance of the Duralite batteries, the microprocessor resets. The new microprocessor will not do this. My new ecu will be available at Superman. I will be seting up a website soon describing all the features of the new ecu. I will also be generating a very detailed manual for the new ecu which will posted on the website eventually. I will also be able to upgrade the current ecu's with the new microprocessor and new software. The new ecu will also work with the FTE engines.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 AM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I forgot to mention that Carlos of RTI is comming out with his own engine at Superman also and it will be using my new ecu.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM
NicholasT

HI Patrick,
on My RAM 500
I'm using Kokam 2 cells (8,4 Volts) 2000 mah Super high Discharge Lithium polymer.
the ECU,I have no idea the type. I could not find it on the box of the ECU.

the parameter is like this :

Glow Plug :038
ECU battery limit 072
RX Battery limit 050
Prime PW 150
Start PW 085
Gas adjust 040

The place I fly is about 10 metar above sea level (Jakarta , Indonesia)
the temperature is about 31 - 35 celcius, and quite humid.

I hope this will help.

Thx n Brg,
NICK
Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 PM
arrow 5

Thank you gentlemen,very useful info. Flew 2 ten minutes flights today with the following LIPO set up (TANIC 2500mah, 12C, two cells). Worked like a charm.Next time, i am going to check the numbers of consecutive flights without recharge.

Gilles P.