Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

COMPOSITE AD PHOENIX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

COMPOSITE AD PHOENIX

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:50 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default COMPOSITE AD PHOENIX

At last someone has come up with a reasonably priced alternative to the Composite Bobcat.This is Aviation Designs new Phoenix 66" span weight about 17lbs for P60 - P80 size turbines, comes painted with all formers installed, about $1,000 and there is a Kingcat size one on the way too.

All details on their website.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81183.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	302552  
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 AM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COMPOSITE BOBCAT ALTERNATIVE

Could you please send a link of the web site?
Thanks.............JOHN
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Spartan Missile

http://www.adjets.com/

Menu: Jet ARF, Phoenix
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

And here is a pic of it's big brother...

Name:	Pn36488.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	302564  
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Is this a NEW ARF? Anybody have one yet?

Dave Rigotti
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Doesnt BOB sell some of aviation designs kits in the US..? If so i wouldnt look for them to sell that here... Also where are the copy-cat crybabys??? Not! saying that it is a copy,, but i think we have all seen what happens on the RCU when someone comes out with a product that CLOSLEY resembles anothers... Russ
Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 AM
john agnew

Well its a copy of a twin boom sport jet, apart from that it looks nothing like a Bobcat, more like an F16 front end.

Personally I like it and it should run out at less than $1,800 for everything including tanks, gear, wheels and brakes which is about half of a Bobcat.

I can just hear the knives being sharpened, half the price , but half the quality!!

John
Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 AM
specialFX

Wow! Nice loking plane; at least for me, it´s a VERY welcome alternative. And as far as I know AD-Jets, quality should be a non-issue.
Hope to see one of these planes personally in action.

Thomas
Old 07-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Christopher2

Hi,

AD-Jets was present at the "Jets over pampa".
I saw this thing fly,it was fast (Faster then the ARF Bobcat that was there)and looked very nice in the air.I don't have any more info,just a pic.
Maybe it is on the video some clubmember took,I will ask around.

Greetz.
Chris

Name:	Mk26007.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	302579  
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Doesnt BOB sell some of aviation designs kits in the US..?
Nope!

Here is the US distributer for Aviation Design:
Malcolm KAY Models
5701 via de la Plata circle
Delray beach
FLORIDA 33434
Phone numbers : 561 865 1538
E Mail : [email protected]
Old 07-28-2005, 08:11 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Anybody want to take a wild-azzed-guess at the markup on a bobcat or kingcat?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:23 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why bother with a manufacturer markup? if you like the plane and the quality, pay it and don't
make any questions. Anyway, there is plenty of alternatives around, changing pricing for
hours-work...

and if your hour-work is pricely, BVM could turn into a bargain.....

About the AD design, I liked the leading edge extensions and the underbelly turbine protection..

Best regards, Enrique
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Yeah

[8D]Seriously tho BVM quality is exceptional & well engineered ,I have a Super Bandit so I can see where the money spent is worth it,this is a well made beautful jet.

That new Phoenix is sharp looking,it does have a "some what" resemblance to an F-16 in the nose area
Old 07-28-2005, 08:30 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I think AD stuff is easily the equal of anything BVM does, at half(or less) the price. I also don't think the Kingcat ain't all that, it comes right out of the same assembly line as all the other Carf stuff, but costs four times the price. Did it take four times as long to build?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

I think AD stuff is easily the equal of anything BVM does, at half(or less) the price.
IMO, that depends how you define "equal" - equal quality of workmanship, or equal bang for the buck, etc. A friend of mine brought his AD Mirage over a couple of years ago to ask me to build it for him. The gelcoat was absolutely full of voids, the fibreglass work weighed an absolute ton (FAR too much resin on it, and the first two or three beads of epoxy down the wing LE had apparently missed the mark, so there were several overlapping beads suirted in there that must have added a good pound or two to the weight), the gear struts looked to me like a child had cast it in a hastily home-made plasticine mold, etc., etc.

I certainly would not have favorably compared its workmanship to any of the BVM kits that I have built, though (due the relatively low price) it could definitely still be considered value for money.

Gordon
Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

MALCOLM KAY, US DISTRIBUTOR FOR AVIATION DESIGN, JUST TO QUALIFY A FEW REMARKS THAT I HAVE SEEN POSTED.....ABOUT OUR NEW MODELS. FIRSTLY THE PHOENIX IS SPECTACULAR IMPROVEMENT IN ARF QUALITY, ANY ONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED AD'S LINE OF BUILDERS KITS WILL KNOW THAT THERE WAS ALWAYS MORE WORK FOR THE BUILDER TO DO THAN ONE OF BV'S KITS BUT THAT THE END RESULT WAS AS GOOD, AND FOR A LOT LESS MONEY....NOW ERIC RANTET HAS BEEN WORKING ON NEW PRODUCTION METHODS TO INCREASE THE QUALITY OF ARF AIRPLANES AND IMPROVE SAFETY AND INTEGRITY IN THE AIR, BUT DECREASING THE PRODUCTION COST , AND THUS MAINTAINING THE LOW PRICES THAT WE HAVE BECOME KNOWN FOR. THE PROTOTYPE PHOENIX PRODUCED AMAZING PERFORMANCE BOTH AT HIGH SPEED AND ULTRA SLOW LANDINGS WITH A FOURTEEN POUND THRUST TURBINE INSTALLED,, THE PRICE IS NOT YET FINALISED , BUT IT CANNOT BE AS LOW AS I HAVE SEEN ONE HOPEFUL PILOT POST ON RCU, THE SHIPPING COST FROM ACROSS THE POND ADDS A LUMP OF $$ BUT IT SHOULD BE AROUND THE 1200 DOLLAR MARK IT WILL USE SPRING AIR 401'S AND WE HAVE SPECIALLY MADE TRAILING LINK OLEO LEGS, OR YOU CAN WIRES, YOU CAN USE BVM'S WHEELS OR INTAIRCO', A KEVLAR TANK IS AVAILABLE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE AN AIRFRAME TOGETHER IN A WEEKEND FOR 17-18 HUNDRED DOLLARS THE PHOENIX IS IN STOCK CALL FOR DELIVERY TIMES..... THE BIG BROTHER, THE ANGEL, IS 22% LARGER FOR 25-35 TURBINES AND WILL BE AVAILABLE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER
Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 AM
john agnew

Malcolm

Thanks for confirming that. I guess I was a bit low with the $1,000 airframe ,I just converted the euro price into $ and forgot about shipping to the US., but it looks like I was right on the money at $1,800 for a complete package

I am sure it will sell very well it's a nice looking jet.

John
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Malcolm... Sent you a PM

Jack G Diaz
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 AM
john agnew

Enrique

I actually think it is a copy of your modified Hotspot, pic of which you posted some time ago

John
Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, John. It looked very much like because the leading edge extensions and the engine intake area,
it surely looks good, but I still prefer my design, (wich is inspired in a lot of other planes, by the way, mostly the Kingcat)...

EZTiger, it is not only the work hours than you buy just by gluing or not the formers in the kit, the greatest value in a BVM airframe IMO is the work hours spent by a lot of modelers and BV himself flying, refining, and testing components around them...so I guess that they are one of the most reliable and developed line of planes around. and this of course, has a price!

B.Regards, Enrique
Old 07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

I think AD stuff is easily the equal of anything BVM does, at half(or less) the price.
IMO, that depends how you define "equal" - equal quality of workmanship, or equal bang for the buck, etc. A friend of mine brought his AD Mirage over a couple of years ago to ask me to build it for him. The gelcoat was absolutely full of voids, the fibreglass work weighed an absolute ton (FAR too much resin on it, and the first two or three beads of epoxy down the wing LE had apparently missed the mark, so there were several overlapping beads suirted in there that must have added a good pound or two to the weight), the gear struts looked to me like a child had cast it in a hastily home-made plasticine mold, etc., etc.

I certainly would not have favorably compared its workmanship to any of the BVM kits that I have built, though (due the relatively low price) it could definitely still be considered value for money.

Gordon
The few AD kits I have seen were recent ones, and easily the equal of any BVM I have seen, but if you are seeing differently, I stand corrected.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:40 PM
roo

Question. Does it need the large amount of DOWNTHRUST on the engine that the bobcat / kingdcat needs ?? If not then surely it cant be a copy!! roo.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Why bother to talk about it, just buy it, flight it, enjoy it, and all that.

Hey John finally just what I was looking for here in the USA, already have plans to buy one.

CARS II
Old 07-29-2005, 03:22 AM
specialFX

Yeah, seems to be a copy. Has wings, booms, tailfeathers and fuselage. Must be a copy!

Kind of stupid reaction, IMHO

Thomas
Old 07-29-2005, 04:20 AM
kmorgan

Mikes Models (Birmingham) had one of these on the stand at the NEC Expo a few weeks ago. It was a prototype but it looked very smart (dare I say it, but with the vortex wingtips a bit sexier that the Bobcat). I built an Exocet many years ago from AD - the quality was top notch then and from what I saw the Phoenix is the equal of what is out there now. I checked the web site earlier and it is also available with yellow trim. UK price I have been quoted is £850. The price I was quoted for a Bobcat (albeit complete with retracts, brakes etc.) was £2750. Will spend the weekend scratching my head before I make a decision!!!

Cheers

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.