Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ducted fan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ducted fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Fireman1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ducted fan

I'm realy new to this. I wanna know what a ducted fan is, and what it needs. Fuel or gas or...? And what is better and closer to turbine engines.

Regards
Eric
Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ducted fan

As you stated a DF is the closest thing to a turbine engine.. and there are two ways to spin them:
with a high revving (and little reliable) glow engine or with a high performance electric motor. The
later is much more reliable althought it delivers less power, but recent developments in this area of
electric flight turned them into the second best option to power a model jet plane.

Another less expensive option is pulsejet engines... but they are too noisy and not very efficient and practical at all.

Great to hear from Zwolle, (Grandpa´s birthplace!)

best regards, Enrique

Old 08-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Fireman1979

Thx for the info.
Great to hear someone on this forum knows my city.

Ok, and what about the kit I have to choose, when I want a cheap ducted fan (elec) F-16?
Anyone?

Eric
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM
erbroens

Check this flying videos ...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f16.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f5.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mig15.htm (my favorite: no way to break the landing gear! LOL)

Best regards, Enrique

Old 08-12-2005, 08:56 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

a ducted fan is a impeller; pull air in through a intake, the impeller creates a pressure going through the fan converting air into thrust as it gets shoved through the thrust tube in a rough form blow up a balloon(air into the intake) the balloon stretches creating pressure (going through the fan)let go of the balloon (pressurized air converted into thrust)as the balloon flys away it creates the original size at the inlet creating a thrust tube (pressurized air is shoved through the thrust tube creating propulsion.......... as for what is closer to turbines glow fueled engines (rossi 81, rossi 91, o.s. 91,k.b. 81 ) what do you prefer?? these power plants are closer in my opinion because they can be converted to a turbine with no problem over half of the turbines today were built for this size d/f years ago and the manufacturer has converted the kits into turbine kits by reinforcing the air frames to handle the stress of the speed of these birds electrics are o.k. dont get me wrong but you will never get a turbine into a foamy thats my nickles worth any way p.m. me if you have any other questions............... keep em level donniercjet
Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 AM
TGoodwin

At least post a video of a high power electric. Most think of electric jets as the park flyers in video posted above but this is not the case.

Here is a test flight of a high power electric jet that I designed and built.

[link=http://www.crosswindcomposites.com/videos/viper3tstflightLB.wmv]Test flight[/link]

[link=http://www.crosswindcomposites.com/videos/Viper3flt3LB.wmv]Prototype Flight 3[/link]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Good videos. Little hard on the first landing, tho. I realize you were out of juice. BOTH the flights!!!!!!!! Ya gotta time the flights so you still have some power left at the landing. LOL

Don't ya just love it when some YOYO fires up his glow slimmer when you are trying to get a good video?????????[>:]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:56 AM
erbroens

More performance? no problem, here it is:

http://www.shredair.com/vector.html

glow noise is rather common while we try to film our jets..not bad at all, the real problem is
the slower and sometimes random air traffic!

Best regards, Enrique
Old 08-13-2005, 12:41 PM
TGoodwin

I realize you were out of juice. BOTH the flights!!!!!!!!
The electronics were overheating and shutting down. That problem has long been fixed.

Thanks Ted
Old 08-13-2005, 12:42 PM
TGoodwin

Don't ya just love it when some YOYO fires up his glow slimmer when you are trying to get a good video?????????
Whats worse is he was blocking the runway.

Ted
Old 08-13-2005, 12:45 PM
TGoodwin

The Vector II has great performance from what I hear. BUT It is a sport jet and a belly flopper and requires a bungee to get airborne. I bet it would be GREAT with retracts.

Ted