Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

will it fly ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

will it fly ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default will it fly ???

I saw this on an auction site: 5992567614

Turbine Trainer w/ WREN 54 Turbine RTF! TURNKEY

Information Specific to Airframe:
This plane is based on a modified and reinforced Right Flyer (Global Models). Control surfaces are rudder, elevator, ailerons, and flaperons (requires basic mixing capable transmitter). The stabilizer and wing have been both modified and reinforced (see pictures). The wing assembly attaches to the fuselage via the conventional method of rubber band. However, I utilize the #84 heavy-duty rubber band (each capable of carrying a load of 15 pounds I'll include a package). In addition, the wood dowels that attach the wing to the airframe have been replaced with stainless steel rods, supported with epoxy-impregnated Kevlar. While many of the components and structures have been reinforced, the goal was to create a trainer aircraft, not an F16-like-super-aerobatic rocket. Plane weighs approximately 11.5 pounds dry.

Will it fly or crash and burn ?
Will it come down in one piece, or shred itself in the air?

I have seen poorly assembled ARF trainers fall apart, fold a wing, have the firewall come loose.....all with cheap 2-strokes on them.

and can I say E-barf here?
I know I am not supposed to mention the competitors name

Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: will it fly ???

Sure, it will fly. Just until the rubber bands pop off. Then it will crash. What was the guy thinking? If you get it, change that to serious bolts. Yikes! Rubber bands?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Actually, the wing may fold before the rubber bands let go. He says "reinforced", but I don't see anything, except what looks like a stock wing with a stock lite-ply spar and cheap chinese wood ARF construction underneath. The rudders look like they might flutter off, but you could probably survive that. You may NEED rudder control, though, to guide the wreckage down after the wings pop off, being that the ailerons are attached to the wing and will leave when the wing does.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I too beleive it will fly. Well for about three seconds. Look at the wing joint no glass, look at his new vertical stab mount, ny-rod for rudders, Nice.

Actually I am curious as to how he mounted the turbine mount. Man those planes have soft wood, I wonder if it will even get down the runway before the 12lbs of thrust brake the mount.

Turbulence.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
Dave03B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[:'(] recipe for disaster it seems.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That rudder setup will start to flutter at 40 mph or something... that looks just horrible! Probably 1" of slop on those things.

I'm sure it will fly, and it may even live for quite a while with proper throttle management... providing the rudders are fixed first.

Rubber bands are fine, providing you use good ones and keep track of them. Also 10 light bands are a lot better than 2 heavy ones (redundancy).
Nothing you would use on a fast plane of course, but good enough on something lightly loaded and slow.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Absolutely disagree on the rubber bands. That thing is going to be, what, 13-14 pounds, fuelled? You think a rubber band is going to hold the wing on? Ever see rubber bands on ANY 13 pound airplane? Much less a jet?ld use on a fast plane of course, but good enough on something lightly loaded and slow.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it will fly. The question is (and no one here could answer) for how much time?

Best regards, Enrique