Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fiberclassics F-86 - Building 101 - UPDATED-

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fiberclassics F-86 - Building 101 - UPDATED-

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberclassics F-86 - Building 101 - UPDATED-

Hi All,

I've started a website that will detail the building of the FiberClassics F-86.

With the help of Fred at FACMaster, I'll be documenting the assembly and detail processes of our Sabre's. Fred built his as the Stock Kit F-86F-40, whereas I'm backdating mine to the F-86F-30.

We hope this will help those interested in this kit and possibly shed some light or give ideas to others.

If you would like to contribute to the cause, please feel free to send me some photo's (clean and clear) of your FiberClassics F-86, along with captions, and I'll add them to the site. I'm particularly interested in ways you solved some of the kits "grey area's" and photo's of your completed Sabre.

Comments and questions are welcomed!

Go here to view:

http://www.geocities.com/pminiature/F-86Home.html

Warmest Regards,

Craig
Old 10-25-2002, 07:01 PM
SA Jet Jock

Hi Craig

My FC Sabre arrives this weekend and I intend getting stuck in as soon as possible. I have already corresponded via email with Fred and he has been most helpful. I also intend to bring mine back to F86F-30 standard and will check with your web site to see your progress. As soon as I have made some progress on the kit I will email you some photos.

Ross
Old 10-26-2002, 04:06 PM
pilotrcjet

Default F86-F40

Craig
I have the Argentine Color scheme which I bought from Campana three years ago. done a lot of mods. great flying machine.....
Mike
Old 10-26-2002, 08:05 PM
GeorgeR
My Feedback: (2)

Hi everyone,

Great info here. I have the FC F-86 sitting in my shop waiting to be built and I really value the input from others who have built this kit. I am curious as to how the aircraft flys with the leadedge slats when used on takeoff and landing? Any problems with these?

When you speak of mods, what are you referring to?

It is a great looking kit and I am looking forward to getting started.

GeorgeR.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiberclassics F-86

I have one of these as well and have already started on mine. The main retracts, wheels & brakes are installed along with the former on the nose and nose retract/strut. Wings are mounted to fuse and windshield glass is installed. Leading edge slats are installed and all moving surfaces attached and glued with BVM Aeropoxy. There is a trick to this in order to get a secure attachment of the surfaces!! The speed brake is cut out but not attached yet. Here is where I could use some pics. of the completed speed brake for angles and general installation procedure if anyone has some. Another question I have is where do you cut the holes for the wing leading edge slat servos. Supposedly there are holes in the former for the slat control rods so the servo openings in the wing must be cut in the proper position. I don't know if this applies to the ailerons also but I would like to find out. If anyone can post servos used on their surfaces I would be interesetd in that also... Gary
Old 10-27-2002, 03:22 AM
Modelman

Hi Gary,

I posted some pics on the site pertaining directly to the speedbrakes. Was this not enough info? I will try to get some more.

I also have some photos of the slat/flap servo mounting. I'll try to get those up in the next few days.

Fred sent me many, many photo's... I'm just trying to sort through them all and get them into some "categories" before posting them to my site.

I'm really looking forward to the Sabre!

George, everything I heard tells me this is a GREAT flying machine! It's just getting through the grey areas of assembly that causes cussing. As for the effectiveness of the slats... hopefully someone else can chime-in. I'm backdating mine to the "-30", therefore, it will have the slats fixed and smoothed, the tip extensions removed and the ailerons blended into the tip.

Glad to see folks are excited about the project!

Warmest Regards,

Craig
Old 10-27-2002, 04:00 PM
SA Jet Jock

Default Sabre Arrives

Collected my kit today. Looks great and cannot wait to get started but busy reading the instructions, limited as they are. That's why I think Craig's website is great idea.

I plan to "retro" mine to a -25 or -30 plane. I would not mind doing the slats but I guess given that the kit is a 6-3 wing one would have to lose them and do a "hard" wing to keep scale.

I managed to get hold of some thin aluminium foil which looks like the stuff Flite Metal sells. I plan to try it out and if it works to cover the Sabre.

I plan to do mine in a Korean War scheme using the Flying Cheetahs Squadron aircraft. This was No. 2 Sqd South African Air Force which swapped its old F51 Mustangs for Sabres and flew with great distinction in the Korean conflict.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32619_3085.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	20398  
Old 10-27-2002, 05:02 PM
pilotrcjet

Default F-86-F40

Hi Every one !
I had mine set up as follows... Take off.. Flaps 15 Slats out full. ( Fly JR 10 SX II servo slow works GREAT....) nice take off. Landing Flaps 35 Slats Full out ..Air brakes out. Gear down slows the plan down a bit. be careful when you deploy this make sure you have power and then reduce power about 15ft from threshold. perfect landing.
I had the set up before at half slats on take off, and full slats on landing. but after talking to full size pilots ( Sabre liner ) and 86 pilots the sabre had the slats drop out if the plane is flying slow and when there is no air pushing against it. (Please correct me if I am wrong ) I like the way the slats work it helps in flying and the most wonderful thing is that during the noon time show when the crowd see's the SLAT's they ask a lot of questions and when you show them how it operates with your radio ( Especially with servo slow ) you get a lot of OOoooo 's and Ahaaaaa's and cool comment's that make's you feel proud to own the plane.

I would not use the aluminum foil because it might spoil the revetting and paneling that has already in there and besides you want to make the plane look old to look scale. It is 50 years old.

Make the nose gear mount strong other wise it is hard to replace the gear mount when it breaks. You have to cut out the glass around the nose gear to access the mount replace and re-glue the cut out glass part. I had it done two times. The first was a a dry lake the nose wheel set screw came of and did the nose wheel. the strut dug into the ground and broke the mount. Took me three evenings to fix it. second was the weld on the strut broke and you know what. ( Robart was kind enough to replace me with the new strut (Warranty) and had it fixed again.

I woild suggest not to cut the strut to make it shorter but to use as it is so the take off roll would be shorter.

I had 160z smoke 136 oz fuel, 18 servos full detail cockpit with BBT Pilot. drop tanks, Power bus pro, four battery packs new tail pipe( Tam's) and half S/s intake and a blinking tail light. I weights 27lbs 14 0z DRY and with full load 35lbs WET I am flying it with P 80. I might be changing to P 120. for shorter take off only.
Will not trade for any bird at all....please contact me off list for the details on slats and servos....
sorry for writing so long
thanks
Michael
Old 10-27-2002, 06:18 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default F-86

Hi Mike,

I have seen you and Tony F. fly the Sabre, its very realistic in the air because of its large size. I can recall you having problems with the gear / doors but maybe you have have that sorted out. You need to get the new FC Mig so you can have the best of both 50`s era jets!!

Are you attending the AJR this year??

Vin...
Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 AM
Gary Jefferson

Default F-86

Mike, I think you are correct on the slats on the full scale models. I think I remember reading about the slats in one of the F-86 books I have and I believe that is exactly how they operate. If there is no air pressure against them then they lower on their own. I will see if I can find that book and give some more info on them. I thought it was intresting when I read about it.
Craig, I could really use some of the pics. on the servo locations in the wings when you get time. I am ready to install them and have no idea where to cut the holes. Also, I did look at the pics. of the speed brakes on your site and wondered if you have any close up pics. of the inside attachment to the fuselage.
This is definitely not a kit for those with little building experience and a lot of it is can be worked out with some careful thought I think but it is very nice to have the input from someone who has already built one of these. Gary
Old 10-28-2002, 01:25 AM
pilotrcjet

Default AZ Jet

Hey Vin
Sure will be attending the Az (MESA) jets already registered....Ha Ha...The gear doors are sloved by installing the Mini Hobbies Seq: the best ever. Used Jomar and others but doesn't work as good as Mini hobbies. The tech support is also second to none. Call him couple of times and he really called me back and talked for a long time until I really know what I wanted to do. Once you know how its a piece of cake. The plane was awarded Best scale markings and details (Thank you again ) to Bob and the Judges....
I am working hard to get the MIG 15 from FC. Like you said and will be flying both planes and fighting against each other......Wanted that plane since I saw it world masters...Don K if you are reading this please save one for me or I will not let you use any of my tools this year at MESA. ( Its a only a Joke....) Don you can use any thing from me any time......
Vin will I be seeing you there. what are you flying thees days..
late
Michael
Old 10-28-2002, 01:35 AM
pilotrcjet

Default Slats servos

Gary
Post your phone no or email me direct with your no. I will call you and give you the info you need. Talk about building maybe you haven't seen or built the yellow F-18 (Twin) or the new L-39 A/W. My two cents...Saber is better....
rgds
Michael
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The leading edge slats on the full scale were air pressure actuated. Under certain conditions during manuevering the slats would deploy on their own, causing the aircraft to do some pretty strange and ugly things. For this reason and a few other maintenance reasons, the wing was changed (enlarged) and the slats were omitted or locked down on some models. My best friend and fellow flying buddy flew these during his lengthly stint in the Air Force. He even had to punch out of one once!!!

Kevin
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default AJR

Mike,

Glad you can make it to Mesa this year. Look forward to seing the F-86 again. I got my eye on the FC Mig-15 too!! I lost my AD F-16 this past summer so its the Planes Plus A-4 or my AD Mirage. I also have been tinkering with a new Airworld elec powered ME-262 for funzies. I am finishing up an Avonds F-104, that will not be ready for Mesa.

Vin...
Old 10-28-2002, 03:02 AM
Gary Jefferson

Default F-86

Mike, here is my Ph#513-777-0402. I can call you if you would rather so you don't have to spend money for the phone call. Either way, I really appreciate the help and would like to hear about the flight charactreistics also.
Sent you an e-mail as well...Thanks, Gary
Old 10-28-2002, 12:58 PM
fred cesquim

Hello Friends!

Indeed this is a hard to get toguether bird, as the instructions are simple and pictures not enougth!
Ross, i have lost e-mail contact with you because iīm overloaded with universityīs work, and iīm starting the Mig 29 nightmare! anyway, nice to see you here!!
about the nose gear, i glassed the nose mount to the fuse with carbon cloth and replaced the nose leg for a new reinforced robart unit sold by Don Kanak.
about the slats holes, i had the same kind of problem, but the best way i found was to inser a small wire throught the leading edge and trying to hit the middle of the receptacle, this way, if you make a mistake, itīs just a small hole to cover.plus, if you press the l/e hard, you will feel the location.
other important thing, DON`T glue the intake duct, otherwise you canīt reach anything inside the fuse again. i made a lip on mine to go over the nose intake, and reinfroced with glass fiber, to fit the nose lip, and at the turbine side, i glued a plastic lip on the outside, to make it stiff and to attach with bolts to the bypass.
i used robart valves to the gear, canopy, air brakes and doors, glennis brake valve and wheels(awesome scale!) and connected the airbrake/canopy with mini hobby ( to open the canopy on the ground) as well as the gear/doors. also, instead of servo actuated doors, i went for BVM cylinders (light and easy).
servos are 8411 all around(my clientīs choice) canopy inside was self made (didnīliked the killer set), pilot is BB repainted/detailed to suit JASDAF stile, markings were done at home PC with corel draw and painting is laccquer with matt 2 part clear.
the only thing i haventīsorted out to my taste is the method of attaching the main gear air cylinders when assembling the wings. i used ball links (heavy du-bro), but i have to open the gear cover to reach them.any tips here?
if anyone here needs to ask anything, meil me, post here or give me a call.
all the best, fred
Old 10-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Gary Jefferson

Default F-86 markings

Fred, I was wondering if your markings were painted on or if they are vinyl...Gary
Old 10-28-2002, 03:11 PM
fred cesquim

Hello Gary!
i cut the Japanese rondells and numbers from low tack vinyl and used as masks. the most difficult to make was the shark mouthed tank and the squadronīs name!
the lettering is the water slide type of decal.
i loved the results, though much work was needed ( i replicate every sentence that cover the plane)
Old 10-29-2002, 06:28 AM
JET FX

Default F86

Hey Fred how are you! I was wondering if you have any pics yet of the cockpit of your F86, last pics you sent were before you had finished the cockpit.

Hows the MIG coming along mate?

Cheers-
Old 10-29-2002, 07:36 AM
SA Jet Jock

Default Servos for Sabre

Hi Guy's

Just starting to make up a shopping list of servos for the Sabre and would appreciate any comments and advice. My initial thinking is:

Ailerons: JR8402 (nylon geared 8411)
Flaps: 8411
Elevators: 3301
Rudder: 3301
Slats: 3301

However, perhaps the 3301's would be more than suitable for ailerons?

How many servos does one use to operate the slats? From the photos in the manual it would appear to be 2 per side.

TIA

Ross
Old 10-29-2002, 01:33 PM
fred cesquim

Cheers Marty!! how are you doing?

unfortunately, i lost my digital camera, and they cost a small fortune here!thatīs why i haventīsent you the pics yet!
the ejection seat looks impressive, i could find some good drawings and pictures references to duplicate...
about the Mig, iīll start in the next 30 minutes!!canīt wait to!!
keep in touch friend!

Ross,
iīve used 2 8411 for elevators, 8411 for ailerons, and 4 mini servos (very strong) for the slats.
iknow itīs overkill, but i had them available from my client..
have you started your kit?

hey, this is for you and Marty also, probably thereīll be an international jet event here in Brazil next year, iīm thinking in Rio de Janeiro. as soon as i start making contacts iīll let you know!

letīs keep in touch!

best regards, fred
Old 10-29-2002, 02:03 PM
SA Jet Jock

Hi Fred

I am gathering the necessary equipment before actually starting the kit. Currently reading the manual, well that took ten minutes, and looking at various pictures from you and those that came with the kit. I guess I'll do the simpler things first like hinging and servo cut outs.

I see you went for 8411's on elevators, is that because you had them or did you think they would be necessary? I thought it might be easier to hide the smaller servos in the stabs?

Hope the exams are going well?

Ross
Old 10-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Gary Jefferson

Default 8411 servos

Fred, I was wondering about the 8411's myself. Are they mounted in the fuse instead of the stabs? I have been looking at using the Volz micro-maxx HP servos also which are a few ounces of torque higher than the 3301's at 6 volts. I think some of the Bobcat fliers are using the Volz servos on the elevators. Does anyone have an opinion which would be better. The Volz are metal gear also for about the same price as the 3301's.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:19 PM
fred cesquim

Hello Ross!
yes, iīm doing fine, thanks!!!
about the servos, the owner of the kit had them...
i tried the hiden on the stab approach and didnīt liked.tailheavy, no space and seemed to me a little weak. maybe if you use volz servos there you get better results.
i didnīt liked the way my linkage looks outside the tail, but thatīs life...
go on and start cutting holes in your kit!!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:24 PM
Modelman

Default F-86 Site Updated!

I added photo's of the radio installation and a links and contact page.

Hope this helps further!

Revisit the link in the first post.

Craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.