Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airtronics 94141's with JR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airtronics 94141's with JR

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:21 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics 94141's with JR

I have four Airtronics 94141 servos that I am installing in a BVM F-100D on the leading edge slats. One pair of them are reversed and have the adapter that allows me to plug them into the JR reciever. The other pair are standard rotation and already are compatible with the JR reciever plug configuration. Here's my problem..... the two that have the Z connector work fine but the two that have the adaptor (and are reversed) drive hard to one direction and won't move. Any thoughts????

David Reid
Old 10-31-2002, 03:10 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fix?

David,
Save yourself countless hours of pulling servo in and out and adjusting the arm and use all Z connectors plugged into Matchbox. This allowed me to have slats done in about 20 minutes and use one channel. This was my first matchbox experience and it was super simple.
Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 03:21 AM
DavidR

Scott,

It is not even a setup issue yet. I will be using Matchboxes on the slats and flaps. (and elevator servos)

I can't get the reversed servos to even move off the deflected position no matter what channel I plug them into. These servos also have the regular airtronics lead, and the little short adaptor extension. I think I just decided to use JR 3301's on mine.

DR
Old 10-31-2002, 03:33 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,
I've used Airtronics stuff for a long time and have recently switched to JR. Your problem sounds like the signal wires are not matched. Might I suggest not using the short Airtronics to JR adaptor and alter the Airtronics plug. You reverse the middle wire with the negative wire and then, using an X-acto, remove the 3 plastic guides. You will also need to file the square edge off of two sides so it will fit into the JR female plug. It sounds complicated but I've done it to quite a number of Airtronics servos and it only takes about 5 minutes per plug. Try altering one plug and see if that works.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 AM
jetpilot

Default OH

David,
Im sorry, I misunderstood. I thought thats why you were using the reversers. I decided to use the Y with adjustable servo reverser on Elevators and Flaps. I was hoping to use this adjustible, reversed Y on Rudder, but the darn thing ended up not needing to be reversed. It looks like I will use seperate channels for rudder and nose steering.
Man you should see this birds nest Im making out of the radio installation :-(
Is this the D model or your F model?
Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 03:48 AM
DavidR

Just so I make sure I have the wires correct (I don't want to let the blue smoke out of the servo!)

The red is positive, blue is the negative and white is the signal wire on the Airtronics???? If this is the case the adaptor is doing exactly what you just described. I am wondering if the reversed servos are incorrectly reversed.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:52 AM
DavidR

Scott,

I am not using a reverser....the servos were reversed servos. It is the D model I am building for someone else. I haven't even taken my F model out of the boxes yet. I have started puttying the fuse. All I lacked framing wise was getting the servos in the wings. The outboard servos are mounted and this is where I ran into the problems. How much puttying did you have to do on the slats? These fit really well but are too thin.

DR
Old 10-31-2002, 04:08 AM
jetpilot

How much puttying did you have to do on the slats? These fit really well but are too thin.
It did need some putty to close some gaps. Mine fit very well. Maybe a little on tight side, but I didnt want to be at all loose. Im a little affraid the servos might be a tiny bit in a bind in retracted position.
After I put on Flite Metal, I noticed the 3 places where the guides are glued to bottom of slats kinda bulge on top of slat. Watch out for this. You might pay a little more attention to this to make yours look better. Should of done a little more sanding.
Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 04:13 AM
DavidR

I took a little extra off the tops of the guides just like I would a former so it should not buldge. I would have prefered to get everything framed up then painted the whole thing flat black and let it sit out in the sun for a couple of days then putty it all up. I added a former to the engine hatch to get it almost perfect so that it should take very little puttying.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:14 AM
jetpilot

I thought I found a neet little place to put door air tank and brake tank, til I read plans and found thats where the header tank goes. I was trying to keep tanks away from tailpipe, but I guess theres no other place to put them.
You going to fly yours with Gyro?
Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 05:39 AM
Bob_Wilcox

David:

I have reversed many 94141 servos and it is not an easy job! Did you buy them reversed?

The 94141 has a coreless motor soldered right to the amplifier PC board. To reverse the servo you need to pull the bottom of the motor off and rotate the base 180 degrees and reassemble the motor. This needs to be done because of a ground lead that is only on one side preventing just unsoldering the motor and reversing it that way. Then you need to swap the two outside pot wires. The motor does not go back together easily and you can damage it in a heart beat!

I found the 94141 to be very reliable and tough but not under vibration from ducted fans.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:14 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,
On the newer colored servo leads, the blue #1 outer wire is signal, the black #2 middle wire is negative, and the red #3 outer wire is positive. JR leads have the negative and positive wires oppositve of Airtronics and the signal wire is the same.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:02 PM
DavidR

Bob,

They were purchased from FTE as reversed servos. I am thinking there may be a problem with them. I have another reversed 94141 that has a sticker on it that says reversed and it works fine.

Mike,

The servos that are working fine have the red, black, and blue wires the ones that are not working have red, white, and blue wires.

I really don't feel like taking these serovs apart and doing surgery on them. If I could get them to function in the standard direction then I will just use a matchbox.

DR

Thanks for the help guys.