Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Stingray

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:57 PM
Glorfindel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Stingray

Ok guys now i'm ready to get into Jets. Some weeks ago i was about to get a Khangaroo and a Simjet Sonic 8000 kit. Khangaroo = 800U.S + Simjet 8000 kit = 1850$ u.s for a total of 2650u.s = 4213$Canadian found.

Yellow Stingray = 400$ u.s + Moore S66 or mw54 is 2500$can. for a total of 3140$ can. !! 1000$ economy !!!

Do someone tried it with a 17lbs trust engine? I prefer to put the S66 slowed down to 12lbs. But it's heavier. The simjet 1200AES is about 33oz the S66 is about 42oz. Is it to heavy for the plane???
Old 10-31-2002, 03:26 PM
KevinM

Default More than just weight...

Glorfindel,

There's more to consider than weight alone in your decision of which engine to purchase- consider also fuel consumption and residual thrust.

When you dial down a larger engine you affect only the max RPM, your idle thrust stays the same. Although the prototype Stingray had no speedbrake on it, according to the designer it was tricky to slow down enough to land with just a RAM 500.

Also, consider your fuel consuption rate (and consequently required load) with a larger engine- at nominal power settings a SimJet 1200 burns in the neighbourhood of only 5 oz/min. Conservative throttle use will easily yeild 9 minute flight times on just 60 oz with plenty of reserve.

(BTW- Stingray's soon to be in stock at GNM!)
Old 10-31-2002, 04:05 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yellow Stingray

Kevin

The Stingray as sold now by Yellow does have a nicely molded dorsal air brake. Awesome kit - ya gotta try one!!
Old 10-31-2002, 04:16 PM
KevinM

Default Yellow Stingray

Thanks Dean,

I should'a been clearer about that. (Still need more coffee!) My point was that the prototype without a speedbrake was reportedly tricky to slow down with only a 500. The point I was trying to make is that the higher residual thrust (and weight) of a larger engine may negate the effects of the speed brake such that it's still tricky to land. (I believe the speedbrake was added specifically to make the landings easier.)

Hopefully when someone gets one flying on a larger engine they'll let us know first hand.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Glorfindel

Default Yellow Stingray

Old 11-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yellow Stingray

Hi,

Good points, Kevin. Do you have a Stingray? Sounds like you're gonna get one, anyway. Cool! I'm starting construction on mine this weekend...
Old 11-01-2002, 01:44 PM
KevinM

Default Yellow Stingray

Hi Shaun,

Although we have several Stingrays "en-route" they're all slated for re-distribution. As much fun as they look, I'm finally back to work on my F-16AM (being converted from an old poly C model) and I refuse to push it to the back of the building table again. Time for another Tiger in the hangar!

Please keep us posted with your pregress though.