Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help - Noise concerns

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help - Noise concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:03 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Noise concerns

Been out of df for about 6 years, ever since my club put in a 96 db noise restriction - want to get back into it. Is there any way to get a dynamax /os91 down that low (I also have byron /os 91 that was checked at 104 db) Also are turbines quieter than df?
Thanx
Old 11-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Turbines are much quieter in the air, but may not pass 96db on the ground.

Topgun Aircraft sells a tuned pipe for the Byron setup that is much quieter than the Byron pipe.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by Terry Holston
Turbines are much quieter in the air, but may not pass 96db on the ground.

From our tests, the turbines were well over 110 dBA on the ground at 9'. However, they are so much quieter in the air that we've exempted them from the noise limits at our club. Granted they can be quite loud in the air when flown at full throttle, but they are rarely at that power setting and usually their sound can be easily drowned out by a .40 airplane flying at the same time.

Bob
Old 11-12-2002, 10:45 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had the same situation as Bob. We have a 98db rule and there is no way a turbine would make that. We had a few local turbine pilots come out to our field for a demonstration (thanks Gordon, Chris and Tam) and turbines will be exempted....DF's are another story.....

Bob
Old 11-13-2002, 01:32 AM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to complicate matters, but you might want to be careful about announcing that turbines are exempted, rather than that there is a separate threshold for them to meet noise-wise.

The reason I say this, is that you can have some annoyingly noisy turbines - Tam had an F4 out at our field one day, and it was unbearable, even in the air. The extreme noise was apparently a result of the geometry and positioning of the splitter plate in an experimental bifurcated tail pipe. We got more noise complaints about that one aircraft in the space of an hour, than the club has ever had in the prior 10 years of its history combined.

Sorry if that complicates things.

Gordon
Old 11-13-2002, 01:41 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Boy, do I remember that F-4. Tam had it out the day before the jet rally a couple of years ago. I think my ears are still ringing. Geez, if he's not giving us lung cancer from secondhand smoke, he's killing our hearing.

Just kidding, Tam!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:07 AM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point, Gordon. It's not one I had considered.......

Bob
Old 11-13-2002, 02:34 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by Gordon Mc
I don't mean to complicate matters, but you might want to be careful about announcing that turbines are exempted, rather than that there is a separate threshold for them to meet noise-wise.

The reason I say this, is that you can have some annoyingly noisy turbines - Tam had an F4 out at our field one day, and it was unbearable, even in the air. The extreme noise was apparently a result of the geometry and positioning of the splitter plate in an experimental bifurcated tail pipe. We got more noise complaints about that one aircraft in the space of an hour, than the club has ever had in the prior 10 years of its history combined.

Sorry if that complicates things.

Gordon
Gordon,

The last clause we have in our sound regulations is that the offices of the club can ground any plane if they feel that it is excessivly noisy. The turbines are exempted from the ground measured noise limits (100 dBA at 9' in our club), but not from that clause.

The whole issue of noise and sound limits is very sticky. You may be flying an electric plane, but if your neighbors can hear it and it annoys them - its noise. The above clause may seem to be very subjective, and it is, but we've never had to bring it into play yet. The primary issue is the sound level at the property boundary and any club facing a sound problem must have the authority to deal with planes that are too noisy even if they meet any arbitrary sound measurement the club may come up with (and ALL sound limits are arbitrary in some way).

Also, with the turbines in our club, the reality is they are there one or two weekends a month with a total air time of 30 minutes or so a day. The .40 - .60 sized trainers are there almost all day, every day, and that's what the neighbors really don't like to hear.

Bob