Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Orbit Fuel Station

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Orbit Fuel Station

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Dave03B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbit Fuel Station

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new fuel station. I'm not looking to spend out big bucks on a JM can, but have seen the slightly lower priced Orbit Fuel Filling Station, which has variable speed pump, and comes with battery for £160. Are any of you using this system? If so, do you recommend it? What are your likes/dislikes? Is it worth the cost?

Info
Orbit Fuel Station

Variable speed fuel pump upto 2litres/Min! fill or drain.
uses 12-15v DC

Thanks in advance for your help,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11119.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	375744  
Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 AM
roo

Default RE: Orbit Fuel Station

Hi Dave03b. I have had one of these for ages and can highly recommend them. As mine was an early one the container has no clear line running down so I have to dip it to know how much fuel is left or guess by the weight. The later ones have a clear strip running down the container so if you buy one now you will have no problem. I originally powered mine from an external 12v source but I would not recommend this as it quickly becomes a nuisance and defeats the purpose of a "Fuel Station". Make sure you get an high capacity battery as it can use up a full charge very quickly if you do a lot of flying. The pump is very versatile and the pumping rate can be infinitely varied. This is good for different tank wall strenghths, i.e. homemade coke types v. "proper" conformal kevlar types. It also empties your tanks when you are finished flying for the day. No more splilt fuel in your car or home. Watch out for small Static electric shocks by the way. I will leave it to the experts to elaborate on this. Go for it and you wont regret it.Paul
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Dave03B

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new fuel station. Is it worth the cost?

Info
Orbit Fuel Station

Variable speed fuel pump upto 2litres/Min! fill or drain.
uses 12-15v DC

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave,

I don't want to appear to be a killjoy or tight-ass but I can't help thinking that £160 for a plastic can, big battery, switch, fuel pump and filter is taking the pee. It may be a lot more 'Gucci' than the regular home made outfit that'll cost you about £40 I suppose, but that's a lot to pay for what is a simple and very easy thing to make (and you can get plastic cans at your local caravan/camping shop that are see-through too!).

Happy Boxing Day!

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You know how to get the can, get the "jersey modeller" pump at http://www.greylor.com/catalog.htm and build your can for about 100 bucks US including battery.

Happy New Year
Old 12-26-2005, 10:58 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: seanreit

You know how to get the can, get the "jersey modeller" pump at http://www.greylor.com/catalog.htm and build your can for about 100 bucks US including battery.

Happy New Year
Has anyone used the Greylor 24VDC pump connected directly to 12VDC battery instead of using a smaller battery pack or voltage regulator?

Dave Rigotti
Old 12-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Dave03B

Paul, Thanks very much for your reply. Good to hear feedback about the orbit station. It does seem like a good alternative to the JM system.

Dick, I hear you. That is the main thing I've been trying to justify to myself is the expense for what it is. I think a trip to the local camping shop is in order, then a browse online for a decent pump (like the one Sean has suggested (thanks)) and a variable rate switch.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.

All the best for 2006.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:28 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Dave03B

...then a browse online for a decent pump (like the one Sean has suggested (thanks)) and a variable rate switch.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.

All the best for 2006.
Dave,

Motors and Rotors do the Orbit clunks, Kavan pumps, Tygon and power packs...give Dave W a call and he'll have it in the post same day...or, if you know anybody going to Abingdon on Friday, have him take it there! Dunno if M&R do rheostats but Maplins'll have them.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Rainman-ACRF

Dick,

You're absolutely right, they're darned expensive but I bought one as wanted some peace of mind.

I've used the plastic can you can get at camping stores for mixng fuel and oil, but they're not great at storing fuel long-term as they're not kero/petrol proof and the plastic goes very soft within a couple of months. I got really worried about picking it up full of fuel and having the bottom give way so I went out and bought the Orbit system from Motors and Rotors - I've had mine about 18 months now.

Phil